Coffee House Subforum?

And while I am on the subject of what I find frustrating, its large numbers of pictures in a thread. When I am trying to read the last post in a thread, and the pictures keep loading and moving the page on me, it can be very aggravating. So I have to wait for 20 or 30 pictures to load, before I can read the posts. ARG. end of rant.

Yea, I run into that, too...I scroll to the bottom, only to have the page suddenly jerk back to wherever the current photo is loading, I scroll again, the page jerks again, repeat until every photo is loaded. It does tend to get frustrating at times.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiddlestix raised a question about an Arts Thread in another Thread, and that made me think...while we're discussing the idea of having an Off Topic Sub Forum, we may want to entertain organizing the Greenville forum into subforums for the following discussions, as well:
  • Sports

• Transportation

• Visual and Performing Arts

• Education

• Healthcare

• Government

• Urban Development and Renewal

• Construction Projects

• The Tea Room (Off Topic)

Then, the threads related to each subforum can be organized under their respective subforum. Is it too late to do something like this? I know it would likely take a lot of work to move all of the various threads into their subforums. Also, if we don't do this now, we'll probably be wishing we did in a few months or years.

This subforum will have to be a whole lot busier before we would consider something like this. I would be willing to add a coffeehouse subforum, but there is already a subforum under Greenville and I am concerned there isn't enough activity for 3 Greenville forums. Especially since the entire thing is in another subforum called Upstate and that is a subforum under SC. That is a lot of subforums.

Honestly I think this part of the SC forum has become too complicated from a forum perspective and some of it ought to be collapsed. Its far more complicated than what we have in NC yet the NC forum is 50% busier.

This subforum will have to be a whole lot busier before we would consider something like this. I would be willing to add a coffeehouse subforum, but there is already a subforum under Greenville and I am concerned there isn't enough activity for 3 Greenville forums. Especially since the entire thing is in another subforum called Upstate and that is a subforum under SC. That is a lot of subforums.

Honestly I think this part of the SC forum has become too complicated from a forum perspective and some of it ought to be collapsed. Its far more complicated than what we have in NC yet the NC forum is 50% busier.

Hi monsoon,

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate your point of view and understand where you're coming from. Flat is more efficient and better in most cases. However, what I've seen oftentimes in the Greenville forum, especially from newer members, is a re-hashing of topics for which there may already be threads dedicated. Granted, the simple solution would simply be for someone to search before they post; however, that doesn't always happen. This is what prompted me thinking that it may be better if things were compartmentalized a bit better so people could more easily and logically find and discuss what they are seeking to discuss. However, I certainly do respect your point of view and would suspect that we'd have to be much busier before such an organization would be warranted completely. Thanks for hearing out my suggestion at least. For now, I'll rely on the moderators to merge threads, move posts from one thread to another, etc., to keep topics to as minimal a number as possible.

Thanks monsoon,

I agree this part of the SC Forum has become complicated. Living in Greenville, if I want to discuss the airport, it's not under Greenville, but rather Upstate. Same for many suburban issues. Greer, Simpsonville, Easley, etc, all the Greenville burbs have threads that appear under Upstate, rather than Greenville. I'm not sure what the answer is to this.

Thanks for considering the "coffee house". :thumbsup:

Thanks for weighing in, monsoon. I agree that it is too complicated. I personally think it is questionable for threads about Greenville suburbs to not even be allowed in the Greenville area. Rather than having an upstate forum, of which Greenville and Spartanburg subforums are currently a part, would it be possible to just have five forums under South Carolina - Greenville, Spartanburg, Charleston, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach? That way, Greenville suburbs could be included under Greenville (including Anderson, which is in the Greenville metro), Spartanburg folks could still have their discussions, and the infrequent overlap between the two (e.g, GSP International Airport) could be discussed on each individual forum as necessary. That way, the few topics left over from the upstate section (and I think this would be very few) would be discussed in the main South Carolina thread. Wouldn't that also make it easier for the moderators?

Actually this would be my preference, Greenville. It's been my experience that too many sub-forums hurt discussions as they make stuff hard to find and confuse people. We had 3 forums for Charlotte, and have since cut it back to just 2 forums. A main forum and a coffeehouse. Real important projects get pinned and we keep a thread open for the major things going on in the city. Random stuff goes in the coffee house.

Archived