SOCCER WORLD CUP!

Ruso

Ecuador just defeated the Polish by 2-0. Alemania won by 4-2 to the players of Costa Rica....

The FIFA SOCCER WORLD CUP BEGAN and the world has left everything behind to enjoy it.

What do you think about it?

:ph34r:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like one of the big surprises early on is the fact that Sweden was held to a 0-0 tie by a team in it's very first World Cup and was also down a man almost the entire second half. Looks like England won't have any troubles in their group.

Yes, that Trinidad & Tabago v Sweden match was great. Hislop was increadible in goal!

It was an interesting game. Although actually I was rooting for Sweden, so it wasn't the result I was wanting. After that game I guess I'm not expecting too much out of Sweden this World Cup. But so far the games have been more interesting than I thought many of them would be.

Yes, that Trinidad & Tabago v Sweden match was great. Hislop was increadible in goal!

I just thought how everybody called the SuperBowl sucky, and yet a 0-0 score in the world's most popular sport is a "great game".

I just thought how everybody called the SuperBowl sucky, and yet a 0-0 score in the world's most popular sport is a "great game".

Depends on how it was played.

Americans play tomorrow I didnt realize they were 5th in the FIFA rankings. (although I have no idea how FIFA ranks international teams)

Yeah but those rankings are oftened looked at skeptically. That seems rather apparently now that the US played the Czech Republic. After that performance it looks rather unlikely that the US will even make it out of this group. Rather disappointing compared to the last World Cup. I keep hoping that great results might, MIGHT, just help gain some popularity for soccer here in the US. Honestly it probably still wouldn't help much but it looks like it's not going to matter in this World Cup anyway.

Well, soccer and futbol are different kind of games. In soccer, it is not only the goals what count, but also the game itself, the driblings(is that how you say it?), each team's strategies, the almost goals, each player's runs....and many, many other things

Yeah but those rankings are oftened looked at skeptically. That seems rather apparently now that the US played the Czech Republic. After that performance it looks rather unlikely that the US will even make it out of this group. Rather disappointing compared to the last World Cup. I keep hoping that great results might, MIGHT, just help gain some popularity for soccer here in the US. Honestly it probably still wouldn't help much but it looks like it's not going to matter in this World Cup anyway.

You are right. Few people take into account the rankings.

The USA has dissapointed many, given that most considered it one of the favorites for the title. We will just have to see how it does with Italy.

I also hope that this World Cup might help introducing the king of sports into the USA.... :thumbsup::yahoo:

Jogo Bonito

:ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

That call today that went against the Portuguese and resulted in the French goal still boggles my mind...why didn't the Portuguese get some 11-meter shots when they actually WERE interfered with?

I gotta say that I can get used to the lack of scoring, but the officiating is really turning me off to world cup. It strikes me as being very subjective, oftentimes unfair, and the refs themselves oftentimes seem downright vindictive. In its defense, some refs seems to be much better than others in this regard. And of course on the player side, the number of dives they take is simply insane - that goes for EVERY team.

I do like soccer and World Cup, but...some of the niggling little things are getting to me.

Wow, what was Zidane thinking? I suppose he just got caught up in the moment and struck out. But you'd think someone like him would have known better to do something like that. Who knows maybe Italy would have won anyway. But after Thierry Henry was substituted out and then Zidane getting a red card, it just seemed France's chances were slim. I guess Italy will have something to celebrate for a bit until more implecations come out from the game fixing schemes in Serie A. Although I guess most of the focus seems to be on Juventus. A bit off topic here but does anyone think they'll really get relegated to the second or possibly the third division league? At one point I thought I had heard several other teams being mentioned as well out of this scandal.

Soccer fans in Hartford celebrated the same way in Hartford's south end. The South End was once Hartford's purely Italian neighborhood before many of the Italian started moving just over the border into the suburbs. The south end is still filled with numerous Italian restaurants, clubs & bakeries.

Franklin Avenue a major road in the south end was shut down so that fans could watch the game in the street on a big screen TV.

After the game fans have driving up and down the streets screaming, yelling, showing their Italian flags and honging their horns. People have been walking up and down the streets frequenting the south end restaurants, bars and Italian clubs.

The world cup victory drew thosands back into their old neighborhood to celebrate for hours on end which was nice to see!!!

Some pictures of Franklin Avenue celebrating Italy's victory.... (there not that great but better then nothing)

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

The second building on the right is one of the Italian clubs in the south end.

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

Another Italian club

IMG_1608.jpg

• 2 months later...

For America, thats not too bad for a soccer celebration and thanks for sharing those pics! I was in Italy (Lavena Ponte Tresa, Varese Province) when they won the world cup. Ill upload the Italia pics in a seperate post but for now, i have below the Republica Italia newspaper copy and one sneak peak photo.

DSC00084.jpg

DSC00079.jpg

• 9 months later...

I know this isn't related to the World Cup, but I thought I'd use it as an excuse to bump this topic back up. Beckham showed up in LA although he won't actually play for another week or so. Being a soccer fan, it's nice to see the US media actually talk about the MLS for a change. Although I'm sure they'll forget all about it again in the near future.

Not sure where soccer rates in America as far as sports go, but as far as star sightings, the exhibition between LA Galaxy and Chelsea FC is the place to see and be seen tonight. Posh Spice, Eva Longhoria, Katie Holms, Governor Arnold... the list goes on. Oh and it's soccer, so of course it's nil-nil at halftime :)

• 2 weeks later...

how did they lose to Austria?

I don't know, I guess they have a good U20 team. But after the decent success of our U20 team, I have high hopes for the future of US soccer. Freddy Adu and that Altidore guy are going to carry us in the next World Cup. I think we have a good chance of making it to the quarters, maybe even the semis.

• 10 months later...

The U.S. National Team begins its quest for the 2010 World Cup this Sunday in California againse Barbados. The teams play their second game on June 22.

World Cup is one of the most exciting things in the world, I can't wait til they get into it. Whether it be friendlies or qualifiers its just exciting

USA wins its opening match against Barbados 8-0. They play again this Sunday.

Barbados is a big underdog as the score reflects.

The CONCACAF is probably one of the easier regions to play in, so I hope they continue to blow out most teams and come World Cup they will be a good team. All the hype from a few years ago really came up short.

Archived