SOCCER WORLD CUP!

Ruso

We've played fairly well in our recent friendlies, so I definitely could see us going far in the World Cup. I mean, we tied #1 Argentina, only lost by 1 to a great Spanish team, lost 2-0 to England, but we've beaten Poland and several other decent teams. The US is on the rise.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've played fairly well in our recent friendlies, so I definitely could see us going far in the World Cup. I mean, we tied #1 Argentina, only lost by 1 to a great Spanish team, lost 2-0 to England, but we've beaten Poland and several other decent teams. The US is on the rise.

They should of had a great team a few years ago, but died out. I think if they get a good pool play group they will have a good chance. They were in a tough group back in 06 and it was just too exhausting for them.

Euro 2008 gets a great matchup in the finals on Sunday - Germany vs. Spain. Match will be televised live at 2:30 PM on ABC.

I think Germany takes this, Klose has been playing great and it shows well hopefully for german fans coem world cup. They had a great run in 06, a great run in eurocup 08, so maybe in 2010 they can get the world cup.

They should of had a great team a few years ago, but died out. I think if they get a good pool play group they will have a good chance. They were in a tough group back in 06 and it was just too exhausting for them.

Italy, the Czechs, and Ghana had to play each other as well, and they didn't look too much worse for the wear. The US midfield was nonexistent against the Czechs, along with some horrendous defending (I guess they missed the memo about Rosicky's long-range shooting ability), they were absolutely incredible against the Italians (and could have won with 11 men on the field), and were all out of sorts against Ghana. Defensive naivete has been the US' undoing in major international tournaments in recent years -- how the heck Jeff Agoos ended up with more than 100 caps for a national team I'll never know -- and it continues to plague them.

Uhhh, actually, they haven't. They looked absolutely clueless against the US. I'll give credit where it's due: that draw against Argentina was a heck of a display. The problem is that Argentina weren't exactly playing at full speed after dispensing of Mexico a few days earlier, and Tim Howard struggles to play well outside of Giants Stadium.

As much as I can't stand his attitude, Landon Donovan is exactly what the US team needs to excel. His cockiness leads the team to push harder, even against teams they shouldn't rightfully stand a chance against.

The US is on the rise, but there's still a lot of work to be done, and the USSF not doing what it took to hire Jurgen Klinsmann after the 2006 World Cup because they didn't want to give up their own power over the team was a mistake in my eyes. Bob Bradley's decent, but he's not an international winner.

------------------------------------------

The Euros were hugely entertaining. I just hate that the tournament showpiece was a bit of a yawner. Germany, quite surprisingly, played like they didn't care to win at all. It's fitting that Spain won, though. They played the best throughout the tournament.

• 1 month later...

lots of american soccer fans in here

it is nice to see at least some americans get excited by the world cup

did anyone watch the liverpool game tonight

probably not since you guys are a few hours behind and are probably still at work

but they got lucky again, with a goal in the 117th minute from kuyt

they didnt deserve it at all

also, why cant i send any pms?

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

nope.

concussions wont keep kids from wanting to play football if it is the "cool" sport.

also, footbal player body type is not a soccer player type, unless you are talking Gooch :)

but generally since soccer is and has been the largest participation sport in the USA for some time we can assume its not an issue of potential talent base.   the issue we face in youth development is motivation as well as a culture of coddeling.

and as terrible as it is to say, the poor kids in the US are not obsessed with soccer like they are in the rest of the world.  world greats like Maradona grew up with nothing but a ball and literally slept with it.  soccer was they moment of freedom from lifes challanges and this led them to greatness.   Basketball is this sport in general for Americas poor. 

as demographics change, the hispanic population might change this in the US, but those kids can just as well play for Honduras or Guatamala than the USA.  its easier to get a slot on those national teams than the US team.

our answer is time.   as MLS continues to grow in stature, salaries will eventually follow.  Also US stars playing abroad will become more known here and kids can begin to dream of the day they are the next Clint Dempsey or Jozy Altidore.

that will take time  and it is progressing.    as a kid I never could imagine playing pro because it didnt exist really as far as I knew.  had there been the infrastructure we have today I might not have stopped after High School.  I might have persued a scholorship or maybe play in a PDL team.    I certainly was good enough, but motivation died for me at around sophmore year when I made Varsity.  I think that is fairly common.  It certainly was very common when I was that age 20+ years ago

Archived