College

Ruso

Ok, it is a little late, and maybe I should have asked before:

Out of the colleges in which I was accepted, I ended up with two: Hampshire College, MA and UNC Chapell Hill, North Carolina. What is a better option when it comes to linguistics, and film?

:ph34r:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I don't know much about either of the colleges, but I must say this:

Congratulations to Ecuador on last night's win! We watched it at this big outdoor beer garden and the Poles in the audience were not pleased when we kept shouting Ecuador and saying

"Wer nicht hupft, der ist einen Polner"...

Oh well

Thats a tough question. I am not sure if we have that many linguistics and film majors here. Probably tougher still to find someone that if familiar with both schools.

UNC-CH is well known on UP given the forum is operated out of North Carolina and we have an extensive section on NC. You could ask specific questions on the University there. Go to the general NC section or the Triangle section under NC. (Triangle is the name of the part of NC where UNC is located)

We also have a Mass section, you could ask questions about the other school there.

When I was decided where to go to college, www.usnews.com was a good source for basic information, including how it ranked specific programs. I was just there, and you can't realy find out much about Hampshire College without paying $15. I'm not too sure if it's worth it... The Wikipedia provides some information about Hampshire...

Look at Hampshire's logo

Hampshire_logo.gif

All I can say is UNC-Chapel Hill has a better overall reputation than Hampshire, but that might be because Hampshire is a smaller liberal arts college.

So, given that I know nothing about which program is better, I can only say I would choose Hampshire over UNC if the programs are just as good as one another simply so you can experience New England life complete with 4 distinct seasons (you'll see a lot of snow), and be within a couple hours drive of Boston and Manhattan. I believe amherst isn't too far from Sprinfield, a small city with some nightlife, and Amherst itself is a pretty big college town. Nothing against NC, but New England has a lot to offer.

Sorry I don't know much about either of the colleges, but I must say this:

Congratulations to Ecuador on last night's win! We watched it at this big outdoor beer garden and the Poles in the audience were not pleased when we kept shouting Ecuador and saying

"Wer nicht hupft, der ist einen Polner"...

Oh well

Oh thanks!!! It was impressive, I still cannot believe it. Poland was one of the favorites, and most of us were hoping not to be humilliated by them. They even said that we were the easiest ones on the group....HA!!!!

We'll have to see how the USA does.

When I was decided where to go to college, www.usnews.com was a good source for basic information, including how it ranked specific programs. I was just there, and you can't realy find out much about Hampshire College without paying $15. I'm not too sure if it's worth it... The Wikipedia provides some information about Hampshire...

Look at Hampshire's logo

Hampshire_logo.gif

All I can say is UNC-Chapel Hill has a better overall reputation than Hampshire, but that might be because Hampshire is a smaller liberal arts college.

So, given that I know nothing about which program is better, I can only say I would choose Hampshire over UNC if the programs are just as good as one another simply so you can experience New England life complete with 4 distinct seasons (you'll see a lot of snow), and be within a couple hours drive of Boston and Manhattan. I believe amherst isn't too far from Sprinfield, a small city with some nightlife, and Amherst itself is a pretty big college town. Nothing against NC, but New England has a lot to offer.

Yeah, you know, Hampshire is renown by its revolutionary ideas of education. UNC is much more traditional. I just wanted to check because I already chose Hampshire, and, even though it was too late to change, I wanted to make sure. Hamp has a completely different view on the grading system, on liberal arts and, as you said, the general atmosphere is surrounded by more colleges and universities.

Thanks

I wil check in the MA section to get familiar with what I'll have to face very soon

:ph34r:

Archived