Capital Bank Building

bsutton1

I remember reading earlier this week about the new Capital Bank Building downtown. I haven't really seen it as I usuall don't go downtown that much. Recently with all the redevelopment, I have been riding around downtown every weekend.

Last night, I went by the new Capital Bank Building by the Progress Energy Towers. I like the building but wish it could have been taller.

Does anyone know how tall it actually is? Looked to me around 10 stories.

How long has it been under construction?

A couple of things I noticed...

I don't like the Bank of America Building. I wish they could of done something with it. Maybe something similar to the once proposed First Citizens Building.

I hope does something about it's Building Sign Ordinance. Some of the signs on the buildings like progress and BofA are too small. They can and need to be bigger.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not actually a new building. It was 333 Corporate Plaza. Capital Bank just bought a good amount of space in it and got it's name on it

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=125413

And a new sign ordinance was passed, I don't know exactly how much space Progress will get, but I think BB&T will get over double the space (250 to 700ish sq ft)

I remember reading earlier this week about the new Capital Bank Building downtown. I haven't really seen it as I usuall don't go downtown that much. Recently with all the redevelopment, I have been riding around downtown every weekend.

Last night, I went by the new Capital Bank Building by the Progress Energy Towers. I like the building but wish it could have been taller.

Does anyone know how tall it actually is? Looked to me around 10 stories.

How long has it been under construction?

A couple of things I noticed...

I don't like the Bank of America Building. I wish they could of done something with it. Maybe something similar to the once proposed First Citizens Building.

I hope does something about it's Building Sign Ordinance. Some of the signs on the buildings like progress and BofA are too small. They can and need to be bigger.

They've already changed the sign ordinance to allow larger signs on buildings. There's a story about it in the News Observer from last week I believe. The Capital Bank building isn't new. It's been there for years. Capital Bank just leased it out and put their sign on it.

It's not actually a new building. It was 333 Corporate Plaza. Capital Bank just bought a good amount of space in it and got it's name on it

And a new sign ordinance was passed, I don't know exactly how much space Progress will get, but I think BB&T will get over double the space (250 to 700ish sq ft)

Excuse my redundant post. You beat me to it haha.

I really hope they don't make the BB&T sign on Two Hannover any bigger. That building is beautiful the way it is and I fear a large enough sign could ruin it. I'd prefer it to be sign-less, but the current sign is small enough so you really can't even tell it's there.

I'm not sure of the exact details of the new sign ordinance, but based on what I understand I really would have preferred it if instead of changing the ordinance to raise the size signs can they would have taken off the restriction, created a larger cap, but made it so every sign on every building had to be approved on an individual basis. Afterall, some buildings look better with larger signs, others do not. It all depends and the sign ordinance should recognize this.

If memory serves me...I belive this used to be the original B B & T building from many years ago

If memory serves me...I belive this used to be the original B B & T building from many years ago

It was. I remember seeing several old black and white pictures of the building and Fayetteville street when it had the BB&T letters on top. I can't seem to find it now. Actually here is one Raleighmark took back in the early 90's:

large.jpg

Heres the new sign with Fayetteville Street's new lightpoles:

capbank.jpg

To me, that will always be the BB&T building. It was probably the most prominent building until the CP&L (Progress energy 1) building was built about 1972.

^^^^ Thanks Flash. It looks like the police station was under construction at the time of that Photo.

Yes that

I am really confused by this picture. The First Citizens building was razed in the '90-'91 school year, so the photo is not newer than spring of 1991. Hannover II was completed in 1991, but isn't in the photo. The real problem is the public safety center, which is a Wake County building. I thought it was completed after Hannover II. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have a completion date on the PSC? Emporis is thin on details for this one.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=125432

http://www.wakegov.com/locations/publicsafetyctr.htm

The photos in the thread Flash referenced were taken at two different times circa 1991.

This photo from the Boylan St. bridge (taken the at the same time as the above photo) shows the topped out Safety Center with the crane for the Wachovia Capitol Center having been erected. The crane for the York Hanover II can be seen sticking out to the right of York Hanover I.

large.jpg

This photo shows the complete (or almost complete) Safety Center with the Wachovia building nearing completion.

large.jpg

Here's a trivia question for y'all. Anyone remember the name of the foreign born developer that erected the YH II building? One of my all time favorite names. :D

The photos in the thread Flash referenced were taken at two different times circa 1991.

This photo from the Boylan St. bridge (taken the at the same time as the above photo) shows the topped out Safety Center with the crane for the Wachovia Capitol Center having been erected. The crane for the York Hanover II can be seen sticking out to the right of York Hanover I.

large.jpg

This photo shows the complete (or almost complete) Safety Center with the Wachovia building nearing completion.

large.jpg

Here's a trivia question for y'all. Anyone remember the name of the foreign born developer that erected the YH II building? One of my all time favorite names. :D

Did his name start with "Count"?

Archived