Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M. Brown

The 10th Dimension

11 posts in this topic

As anyone ever heard of the 10th Dimension. It sounds scary.

actually, no I haven't... could you fill us in?

Somebody told me that its only out far in space and when you look foward u see your back and if you throw something at it, it will actually hit your back right in back of you. Freaky :blink: And when you see light you only see the light waves.

In the cosmological theory called super string theory they talk about many dimensions (and they are everywhere, we just don't think we perceive them). Check out Brian Greene's book, the elegant universe. You'll be amazed. Not scary though.

Interesting. I have never heard of the 10th dimension before.

Ive gotta check that book out. Right after I read the Bible ;)

Actually I heard that one of the theoretical physics theories said that there are actually 26 dimensions in the universe. Not like I understand string theory and all that stuff anyways even though it is interesting.

I dont believe in the string theory. Nore do I believe in the 10th dimension. I just thought it was freaky if there was one. To me there are only two dimensons. The first one is the one we can see with our eyes and the second one is spirtual that only angels, spirits in heaven and God can see. They can see Both dimensions. The only way we will be able to see both dimensions is by going to heaven and the only way to go to heaven is through you guessed it. JESUS.

Dimensions are cool. So was Sliders.

I can't believe I missed this discussion!

There is a theory that the nature of the universe is much like that of an inner-tube. That is a simplisitic analogy, but it does help illustrate the point of the theory--the universe is neverending, it repeats itself over and over again. That would explain why the universe seems unending through telescopes, and why our distance estimates involve such unbelievably large numbers (possibly infinite).

It also negates the theory of "black matter" in a way because it explains why some objects in the universe seem to move in response to a gravitational field, but there is no observable massive object where one would expect there to be. Gravity is apparently able to transcend the "walls" of the inner tube... so the gravity from a super massive object that's 180 degrees away from us will still affect us even though the distance in linear space is very far.

Again, this is a very simplistic representation, but it is fascinating to ponder. I wish I could find an illustration.