Greenville Scottish Games & Highland Festival 2006

$15 just to get in the gate and go hang out a couple of hours and maybe get some photos?!?! I'm afraid I had to pass on this. I must have overlooked the fee on the web site, but I was in for a bit of a surprise this morning. Maybe I'm just used to having all of these sorts of festivals/fairs be free admission, but in my humble opinion, they should find a way to lower the gate fee and recoup it inside once you're in the gate for next year, if there is a next year. :angry:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went over to the Scottish Games and Highland Festival for a few hours today and was totally impressed with both the turnout and the quality of the festival. This should easily become an annual signature event for Greenville's cultural offerings. The Governor, Congressman Bob Inglis, and the Earl of the Sinclair clan were guest speakers at the opening ceremonies. I noticed many people had traveled across the Atlantic from Scotland to be part of the festivities as well. :shades:

Post any comments, photos, or other related material in this thread.

GSG2006_01.jpg

$15 just to get in the gate and go hang out a couple of hours and maybe get some photos?!?! I'm afraid I had to pass on this. I must have overlooked the fee on the web site, but I was in for a bit of a surprise this morning. Maybe I'm just used to having all of these sorts of festivals/fairs be free admission, but in my humble opinion, they should find a way to lower the gate fee and recoup it inside once you're in the gate for next year, if there is a next year. :angry:

Well, I was hit with the same surprise, after paying $5 to park about a half-mile away too. :blink: I couldn't agree more with you on the high fee to get in. Obviously lots of people didn't see it the same way we did though, because there were plenty of families all over the place this morning. So upon leaving, I calculated the total of my expenditures for the morning: $5-parking; $15-entrance; $5-program; $10-pin; TOTAL= $35! :(

I just got back. I'll process my shots and have them online shortly.

I knew about the $15 entrance fee, and debated. I figured if it helped get this innaugural event started as an annual event, I'd consider it an investment.

I was surprised at the $5 parking fee and the fact that my faculty parking sticker didn't mean a thing, especially since we had to park on the other side of campus. Fortunately, there were plenty of shuttle buses running.

The layout and organization seemed to be done quite well. With the heat, there needed to be more free water (water fountains, etc) available. We were fortunate to have keys and access to buildings, but I don't know how others stood the heat. Also, one of those misting stations would have been a great idea.

I did marvel at the characters that were standing around in full Scottish garb in this heat, including wool kilt, knee-high woolen socks, and wool jacket.

OK, here are a few shots. I'm just going to post the small version to save bandwidth. If you want to see the larger shots, click on the link to my Flickr account in my signature.

Piping competition - the droning in this area was almost overwhelming as eight pipers competed simultaneously at eight different stations:

164394631_2ae02e014f_m.jpg

More instrument demonstrations:

164392651_ff3b2a16d7_m.jpg

164392326_4437479dc1_m.jpg

I might have to abandon my own Clan Cameron for this new outfit:

164392976_8448329e4c_m.jpg

Part of the mass pipe band concert:

164395417_787bc39684.jpg

Border collie demonstration:

164391027_35751e644b.jpg

A successful caber toss:

164389952_ef0d913263_m.jpg

Me throwing a battle axe - I actually hit the bullseye three times. It never stuck in the target.

164390238_a74b1c8ab3_m.jpg

Fantastic photos guys!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was going to go today, and hate I missed it, but had unexpected company and got way behind schedule. I was at the parade last night and must say, I could simply not believe the crowd!! It was like a Mardi Gras parade in the Big Easy! I really was stunned and shocked at the turnout. :shok: Huge crowd!

Here are a few photos I took at the parade.....unfortunately didn't have the best spot for viewing.

CIMG5440.jpg

CIMG5442.jpg

CIMG5443.jpg

CIMG5444.jpg

CIMG5445.jpg

CIMG5446.jpg

CIMG5447.jpg

I admit, I was impressed by the turnout. I didn't realize there was a parking fee at all, of course, I didn't drive over. Had I not had family in town visiting this weekend, I would have perhaps been more inclined to invest the $15, but it just seemed like an unnecessary expense when first confronted with it.

These are great photos, y'all. Thank you for sharing them. It looks like it turned out to be quite an event. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Wow, these poor atheletes can't catch a break. It seems like this always falls on what ends up being one of the hottest days of the summer! Although, I've volunteered the last two years, the spectators are the ones that don't drink enough water and succumb to the heat.

• 1 year later...

Archived