Can Memphis Support a Nfl Team

memphis born

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or they could always pull a "nashville" and get the entire state to finance their arena and then who cares if the stadium is useless, right?

If B-ham builds that stadium then it will definitely attract an NFL team. Remember the slogan: "If you build it they will come." The NFL wanted Memphis to build a stadium and we didn't, so look what happened. Not saying I'm thrilled to have the NBA - I like the Grizz a lot and I'm glad they're in Memphis.

But as far as the future is concerned, and since we are able to dream, maybe we can build a domed stadium on down the road.

So Birmingham is going to pull a "Memphis" and build a football stadium when there's no team available? So in 30 years when a team finally is looking to move, the stadium you build today will be outdated and useless. Not a good idea.

We all know the best NFL cities are in the south, but Memphis and B'ham won't get an NFL team anytime soon for the same reason Nashville doesn't have a Nextel cup race: Media Market Size

We can only support so many pro sports. In Tennessee, we have the NBA (mem) NFL, NHL (nash) and Nascar (tri), and that's probably about what we can handle.

Plus, the next 2 NFL franchises are probably going to the LA la land

Notice the key word, proposed, in the reply that I left earlier. They're not likely to build it. I used to support the dome, but, now, I more support the Plan B of the BJCC (Birmingham Jefferson Convention Complex) expansion. They want to expand the 17,000 seat arena, add more convention space, and add more rooms to the hotel next door. Bham is lagging terribly behind in conventions.

You're right about Birmingham never getting an NFL Team. Though, the market size is large enough, it's larger than a few of the city's that do have an NFL team. Market Size isn't the factor keeping Bham from getting an NFL team. College football is the factor. You've got Bama, Auburn, UAB, and UNA all within 200 miles, inside the state. Alabama will always support a college before a pro team.

So Birmingham is going to pull a "Memphis" and build a football stadium when there's no team available? So in 30 years when a team finally is looking to move, the stadium you build today will be outdated and useless. Not a good idea.

We all know the best NFL cities are in the south, but Memphis and B'ham won't get an NFL team anytime soon for the same reason Nashville doesn't have a Nextel cup race: Media Market Size

We can only support so many pro sports. In Tennessee, we have the NBA (mem) NFL, NHL (nash) and Nascar (tri), and that's probably about what we can handle.

Plus, the next 2 NFL franchises are probably going to the LA la land

Why don't u shut it and go back to your forum, before I pull a "Rocky Top Buzz" and start talking crap in the Nashville forum. Anyway wasn't the Liberty Bowl built for the Tigers.

Why don't u shut it and go back to your forum, before I pull a "Rocky Top Buzz" and start talking crap in the Nashville forum. Anyway wasn't the Liberty Bowl built for the Tigers.

Why do sports-oriented threads always turn nasty?

You might want to refer to UP rules 1 and 3. We are having a discussion about Memphis getting an NFL team, right? If Memphis had gotten an NFL team, there's no way Nashville would have gotten the Titans. But now that the Titans are in Nashville, there's no way Memphis will get an NFL team in the near future. Believe me, I know a lot of people in Nashville who would like to send our preds to milwaukke and get their NBA bucks, but because there's an NBA franchise in Memphis, it's not going to happen.

After doing some research, I am only half-right regarding the history of the Liberty bowl stadium. It was built to bring the Liberty bowl to town, which it did successfully. However, it was renovated in the mid-80's in an attempt to win an NFL franchise.

I got this info from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Bowl_Memorial_Stadium) which I know many of you do not fully trust, but show me proof if it's incorrect.

I don't think Alabama is left out of the NFL picture because of college football. I mean, Atlanta has 4 pro sports teams, and I would say there are many in that state who cheer for UGA and GT and could care less about the pro sports. It especially doesn't help that the Falcons have been so bad for so long. And I would say that the Vols are still as popular in Nashville as the Titans. It's great to have both so close!

I really don't think we can support an NFL team right now. The Grizz reportedly lost $40,000,000 last year. If they don't start selling out more games really soon, another city will lure them away. And as much as I want an NFL team in Memphis too, I think that it will cause the Grizz to sell fewer tickets.

I don't think Alabama is left out of the NFL picture because of college football. I mean, Atlanta has 4 pro sports teams, and I would say there are many in that state who cheer for UGA and GT and could care less about the pro sports. It especially doesn't help that the Falcons have been so bad for so long. And I would say that the Vols are still as popular in Nashville as the Titans. It's great to have both so close!

Alabama has a slight chance at getting one. But, only if a team was moved there from somewhere else. It's highly unlikely that they'd get their very own brand new team. It's just not gonna happen.

Also, I think there's a good deal more in Alabama that cheer for just college football than pro football. Probably a higher percentage than Georgia. That's just my opinion.

Other reasons that Bham would probably never get one is because they are so close to ATL and Nash. There just wouldn't be much as much support because there're already two teams within 200 miles. Same thing with Memphis.

I really don't think we can support an NFL team right now. The Grizz reportedly lost $40,000,000 last year. If they don't start selling out more games really soon, another city will lure them away. And as much as I want an NFL team in Memphis too, I think that it will cause the Grizz to sell fewer tickets.

I think they play with the numbers in pro sports too much. <_< I honestly don't believe that the Grizz lost money. If you do the numbers with the Grizzlies average of 14k per game last season, they made $28.7 million dollars in tickets alone. Thats not even counting luxury suites, corporate sponsorships, ads, parking, etc... If they did lose money, its no where near $40 million. If it is, they need to fire whoever is running the finances

You might want to refer to UP rules 1 and 3. We are having a discussion about Memphis getting an NFL team, right? If Memphis had gotten an NFL team, there's no way Nashville would have gotten the Titans. But now that the Titans are in Nashville, there's no way Memphis will get an NFL team in the near future. Believe me, I know a lot of people in Nashville who would like to send our preds to milwaukke and get their NBA bucks, but because there's an NBA franchise in Memphis, it's not going to happen.

After doing some research, I am only half-right regarding the history of the Liberty bowl stadium. It was built to bring the Liberty bowl to town, which it did successfully. However, it was renovated in the mid-80's in an attempt to win an NFL franchise.

I got this info from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Bowl_Memorial_Stadium) which I know many of you do not fully trust, but show me proof if it's incorrect.

Nashville would never, EVER support NBA. Ticket prices are too high and the sport is a dying bread on the national scene anyways. Hockey exposes the city both in the US and Canada as well as Europe. They will change their minds once we win the Stanley Cup though. I promise that. Nashville has enough corporate dollars, just not enough forward thinking to have supprt for the Preds like the Titanics get every year. We just gotta get people going to the games more as opposed to sitting on their arses like they do now. Lazy arse "fans".

But for the record, a domed stadium in Memphis would be a total waste of money. You guys have great weather, why would you want to dome that anyway?? The purpose of the dome is to keep the frequent rain delays (example: Seattle and Toronto) to a minium, not just to have a "cool" looking stadium. There is some functionality to the idea.

Of course not now, but in the future. It's just a dream.

It'd be really nice to have the Showboats revived in the NFL, and I'm sure a lot of Memphians would feel the same way. Talk about infusing (much needed) civic pride!

I hope that the Grizz never leave - and I don't think the minority owners will let them either. The Grizz mean too much to Memphis.

We just gotta get people going to the games more as opposed to sitting on their arses like they do now. Lazy arse "fans".

But for the record, a domed stadium in Memphis would be a total waste of money. You guys have great weather, why would you want to dome that anyway?? The purpose of the dome is to keep the frequent rain delays (example: Seattle and Toronto) to a minium, not just to have a "cool" looking stadium. There is some functionality to the idea.

Nashville isn't the only city with "lazy" fans! :) That's why it's best not to televise some of the games on television (NHL and NBA).

Yes, we have great weather (except for August), it would be best to have a dome to rival St. Louis and N.O. Besides, the Southern Heritage Classic would be great in a dome. Don't forget it could serve host to an NCAA Final Four.

Nashville has enough corporate dollars, just not enough forward thinking to have supprt for the Preds like the Titanics get every year. We just gotta get people going to the games more as opposed to sitting on their arses like they do now. Lazy arse "fans".

I went to a Preds game once. It was against the Stars. Preds lost, but it was great fun. I don't think it was a sellout, but the arena was quite full. Funny thing, before the game we were standing in the main lobby when my wife struck up a conversation with a pretty blonde. Of course, my wife wanted to know where she bought her $300 blue jeans (jeez). Anyway, I couldn't help looking at her husband a few times trying to figure out where I'd met him. So I asked him. Turns out I hadn't met him before. He was Scott Hamilton, the Olympic figure skater.

I think they play with the numbers in pro sports too much. <_< I honestly don't believe that the Grizz lost money. If you do the numbers with the Grizzlies average of 14k per game last season, they made $28.7 million dollars in tickets alone. Thats not even counting luxury suites, corporate sponsorships, ads, parking, etc... If they did lose money, its no where near $40 million. If it is, they need to fire whoever is running the finances

Well, the playoff games didn't sell out, and that is unheard of in the NBA. So we really need to work on getting fans out there before any team anywhere is going to think of us as a pro-sports city.

I think the Grizz really screwed up by not having as many games on local channels. You have to have cable to keep up even slightly with the season, and that makes it too hard to build new fans from those of us who don't have cable.

I

Nashville isn't the only city with "lazy" fans! :) That's why it's best not to televise some of the games on television (NHL and NBA).

Yes, we have great weather (except for August), it would be best to have a dome to rival St. Louis and N.O. Besides, the Southern Heritage Classic would be great in a dome. Don't forget it could serve host to an NCAA Final Four.

2 words: retractable roof! It could, along with the Final Four, help us reclaim the COGIC convention and attract others that require a facility that can house 50K under one roof.

So Birmingham is going to pull a "Memphis" and build a football stadium when there's no team available?

Yeah, so next time make sure you can back up what you say. Instead of saying things that aren't true.

Lexy: Who says that the NBA is dying out? Yeah, anything that Memphis has that you're jealous of, you have to put down. I can't stand you people from the Nashville forum.

Yeah, so next time make sure you can back up what you say. Instead of saying things that aren't true.

Lexy: Who says that the NBA is dying out? Yeah, anything that Memphis has that you're jealous of, you have to put down. I can't stand you people from the Nashville forum.

wtf? That's a little harsh, man . . . Some of them may be arrogant tools but not all of 'em, so let's not broadbrush all of 'em.

Hey FM, I did back up what I said. The Liberty bowl NEVER would have been considered for even a temporary NFL home had they not renovated it.

I would encourage you to come to the Nashville section anytime and post your opinions on what we are discussing. There is a proposed 1000 ft tower that you can knock on like many other Nashvillians.

uh oh we've attracted attention from the middle TN forum. lets hope they dont cut our funding!

:P

i already see the monies disappearing!

and i think (in my opinion) that Memphis could support a team.

i don't know about the base (money or fan wise) though

and nashville is uber lazy..

sometimes..

you don't see titans fans in the streets freakin out when we lose a game..

now that would be fun to see

Hey FM, I did back up what I said. The Liberty bowl NEVER would have been considered for even a temporary NFL home had they not renovated it.

I would encourage you to come to the Nashville section anytime and post your opinions on what we are discussing. There is a proposed 1000 ft tower that you can knock on like many other Nashvillians.

I truly don't understand why rocky top buzz even comes onto the Memphis forum....please don't come on here if you have nothing constructive or positive to say about anything, except of course for nashville....come on let's all grow up a little.

I truly don't understand why rocky top buzz even comes onto the Memphis forum....please don't come on here if you have nothing constructive or positive to say about anything, except of course for nashville....come on let's all grow up a little.

???Where are we getting this idea that you have to live somewhere to be able to participate in that area's forum??? Are we Memphians that territorial?

Too bad this is cyberspace - otherwise y'all could pee in a circle around the forum to keep outsiders out. :D

I think that any city that is the size of Memphis and Nashville are capable to support 2 teams. I just hate it when all people think Memphis is some big ghetto and that there are no middle and high class here at all. These people need to go and actually visit the city and they would see all the great things and places that are here.

I think we are doing great having 3 and soon 4 fortune 500 companies here and all are actually in the city limits. These companies don't have to just buy tickets for only one team they will buy for all. Just because our suburbs and population aren't exploding doesn't mean that the ones that are are better then the others who aren't. We have a nice steady pace. I know skyscrapers are cool and all but they don't classify a cities worth, and we have a good number of proposals and they seem determined to complete them.

So all of this bashing is completely worthless and won't change a thing. Memphis could and will have a NFL team its only a matter of time. Go Showboats!

Archived