Can Memphis Support a Nfl Team

memphis born

I think that any city that is the size of Memphis and Nashville are capable to support 2 teams. I just hate it when all people think Memphis is some big ghetto and that there are no middle and high class here at all. These people need to go and actually visit the city and they would see all the great things and places that are here.

I think we are doing great having 3 and soon 4 fortune 500 companies here and all are actually in the city limits. These companies don't have to just buy tickets for only one team they will buy for all. Just because our suburbs and population aren't exploding doesn't mean that the ones that are are better then the others who aren't. We have a nice steady pace. I know skyscrapers are cool and all but they don't classify a cities worth, and we have a good number of proposals and they seem determined to complete them.

So all of this bashing is completely worthless and won't change a thing. Memphis could and will have a NFL team its only a matter of time. Go Showboats!

Go Showboats!!!! Memphis should and will have a NFL franchise you can bank on it. All of you Nashvillians are jeasoulous of our growth.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that any city that is the size of Memphis and Nashville are capable to support 2 teams. I just hate it when all people think Memphis is some big ghetto and that there are no middle and high class here at all. These people need to go and actually visit the city and they would see all the great things and places that are here.

I think we are doing great having 3 and soon 4 fortune 500 companies here and all are actually in the city limits. These companies don't have to just buy tickets for only one team they will buy for all. Just because our suburbs and population aren't exploding doesn't mean that the ones that are are better then the others who aren't. We have a nice steady pace. I know skyscrapers are cool and all but they don't classify a cities worth, and we have a good number of proposals and they seem determined to complete them.

So all of this bashing is completely worthless and won't change a thing. Memphis could and will have a NFL team its only a matter of time. Go Showboats!

Good point about all of the fortune 500 companies being in the city limits. That doesn't seem to happen too often, lol. Congrats to Memphis on that.

I don't think Memphis could support the NFL in the next 5-10 years, however I think it would be entirely appropriate for them to get an arena football team (I've never understood why Nashville has the Kats and Titans, though I really like having the Kats) as a sort of "primer" for NFL. Just personal opinion there :thumbsup: .

I agree that it seems the average Nashvillian seems less informed about Memphis than vice versa, perhaps because of the shoddy self-absorbed journalism that goes on over there; there seemed to be a concerted determined effort to paint Memphis in a poor light, whereas you often see positive stories about Nashville from Memphis. But I've seen from forums such as these that at least the Nashvillians that post regularly normally (perhaps not recently) have a healthier impression of Memphis than their ignorant neighbors. Again, I think that community is a victim of recirculated misinformation and bias, but usually their posters are more aware of the progress going on here. At least that was a while back. I've had the experience that they've often been civil and even curious about what's going on here. But I don't know these days. Too much stuff to keep track of.

The average Nashville citizen, though, has made a bad impression as willfully ignorant and intent on promoting a misinformed agenda about us. I wouldn't marginalize their posters to that level, though. Yikes. They're boosters of their hood, yes, but when I was keeping track of it they were always civil.

You know, the greatest thing about the Boats is the color scheme. For the Grizz, I was looking forward to a blue and metallic gold color scheme, which would be slick (I'm not a fan of yellow couched as gold), but has been done in other areas (Rams, for example). But you don't have many silver and red. You have red and gold, blue and silver, and blue and gold. I wish we could resurrect both the Pharaohs and the Boats, because I like both those names, and I think we could come up with a slick logo and color scheme for the Pharaohs that would be better than the Arena version. But, man, that logo is just slick for the Boats. And the name would be a hit.

You know, the greatest thing about the Boats is the color scheme. For the Grizz, I was looking forward to a blue and metallic gold color scheme, which would be slick (I'm not a fan of yellow couched as gold), but has been done in other areas (Rams, for example). But you don't have many silver and red. You have red and gold, blue and silver, and blue and gold. I wish we could resurrect both the Pharaohs and the Boats, because I like both those names, and I think we could come up with a slick logo and color scheme for the Pharaohs that would be better than the Arena version. But, man, that logo is just slick for the Boats. And the name would be a hit.

I like the Grizz color scheme as well...I thought it would be brown, red and gold...more like the Cleveland Browns. Since we don't have the history and legend of an NFL team, that would've been too "dirty," and we all know Memphis doesn't need that kind of moniker.

The only drawback to the 'Boats colors is the resemblance to the Ohio State Univeristy scheme. The colors have to be tweaked a bit.

wlewis.jpgohio_state.jpg

I like the Grizz color scheme as well...I thought it would be brown, red and gold...more like the Cleveland Browns. Since we don't have the history and legend of an NFL team, that would've been too "dirty," and we all know Memphis doesn't need that kind of moniker.

The only drawback to the 'Boats colors is the resemblance to the Ohio State Univeristy scheme. The colors have to be tweaked a bit.

wlewis.jpgohio_state.jpg

Actually, that was what it was going to be until the Cavs revealed their new unis. I just wish we could tweak the yellow in ours to gold.

And I don't think the resemblance to OSU is necessarily bad. I mean, the Rams helmet style (with the horns) is mimicked somewhere. At least the Showboats have the logo on there, which I would hazard to guess would be one of the top 10 logos, if not top 5 in the NFL. Maybe tweak minor details here and there, maybe adding an accent color.

Or keep the logo and have a brand new color scheme.

Whatever. My first act as owner after securing the franchise and signing players and getting a stadium would be to retire Reggie White's number.

I don't think any of us are bashing Memphis for not having the NFL, although some on here are bashing Nashville.

I never said Memphis couldn't finacially support an NFL team (I'm mean look, if Green Bay Wisconsin can support the NFL so can a big city like Memphis). I think the consensus is that there just isn't a team aviailable for Memphis to support.

How long did it take the MLB to go from 15 to 30 teams? At some point, the NFL will have 64 teams, and one of those will be in Memphis. I just don't see it happening soon. For some reasons, pro sports think that about 30 teams is the right number. Hey, there are 115 NCAA D1 football teams, and it works great for them!

:huh: yeah.. i don't think the average nashvillian thinks less of memphis.

why should we?

you guys are right.. you guys actually have fortune 500 in your city limits

most of nashville's are in the southern areas of town.. or even in williamson county <_<

both cities are sharing in the southern growth.

no need to get all hateful or huffy puffy.

and you guys will get a team.

its bound to happen.

:thumbsup:

I don't think any of us are bashing Memphis for not having the NFL, although some on here are bashing Nashville.

I never said Memphis couldn't finacially support an NFL team (I'm mean look, if Green Bay Wisconsin can support the NFL so can a big city like Memphis). I think the consensus is that there just isn't a team aviailable for Memphis to support.

How long did it take the MLB to go from 15 to 30 teams? At some point, the NFL will have 64 teams, and one of those will be in Memphis. I just don't see it happening soon. For some reasons, pro sports think that about 30 teams is the right number. Hey, there are 115 NCAA D1 football teams, and it works great for them!

yeah, I really wanted to distinguish between posters and the average Nashvillian. For the most part (80+% of the time) I have absolutely no issues with the posters. But I have a different opinion about the average Nashvillian.

:huh: yeah.. i don't think the average nashvillian thinks less of memphis.

why should we?

you guys are right.. you guys actually have fortune 500 in your city limits

most of nashville's are in the southern areas of town.. or even in williamson county <_<

both cities are sharing in the southern growth.

no need to get all hateful or huffy puffy.

and you guys will get a team.

its bound to happen.

:thumbsup:

Well, you're a poster, and you're informed and knowledgeable. I don't know if the average Nashvillian possesses the same traits when it comes to Memphis. Does the average Nashvillian have the information or seek out the information you have before making judgments about Memphis? [edit: I could say the same about some of the negative folks in Memphis are ignorant of the progress Nashville has made, there just seem to be less of an unabashed boosterish spirit than Nashville]. All I hear from non-poster Nashvillians is how Memphis is ghetto, poor, uneducated. That's all they seem to think Memphis is. I don't know if they like that perspective, and try to preserve it consciously or subconsciously, but there is at least one poster here who experienced the negative pr campaign by Nashvillians she spoke to before s/he came to Memphis, just dumping on the city. I'll try to locate the thread. [edit: it just seems more information on Nashville's progress exists in Memphis than vice versa; the papers keep reporting it].

I believe you're sincere in that you think differently, and I am glad. And I distinguish the posters here from the other Nashvillians I have met. My perception of Nashvillians has changed because of posters on boards like this. The posters here do improve the image of Nashville in my eyes, and I just hope their curiosity and informed outlook on the state is contagious. There is a growing segment of prideful Memphians; hopefully both cities can steer away from the spite, hate, and arrogance and find a detente that focuses on healthy competition. I like the efforts that have been made on the biomed front; it seems to realize the strengths of all three sections of the state, and fosters cooperation rather than backstabbing. HOpefully that continues.

Edit: here's the thread, first post http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24574. Not to rehash or dwell on the negative, but just to show that it's just not me that has experienced that attitude from Nashvillians. That thread got a little dicey, and I really don't want to revive it. It's time that folks from both cities do something to change the mutual resentment.

Thanks for the support that you and the other posters have shown us. And hopefully it's a reflection of Nashville in general...

I am going to ignore the comment that was directed at me because most on here know that I have no ill-feelings toward Memphis. Clobber can back that up as others can as well. Sure, we have our differences from time to time, but I certainly don't think Memphis is the black-hole of the US. That just happens to be Detroit. LOL!!! Just kidding.

I am going to ignore the comment that was directed at me because most on here know that I have no ill-feelings toward Memphis. Clobber can back that up as others can as well. Sure, we have our differences from time to time, but I certainly don't think Memphis is the black-hole of the US. That just happens to be Detroit. LOL!!! Just kidding.

...haha??? -_-

yeah.. just one thing.. i don't have a rock quarry in my back yard.. i don't understand how they got Nashville being "too rocky"?

yet again.. another topic goes off topic.. why?

cause people argue.

but yeah.. you guys got the stuff to have a team.

its kinda weird why you haven't had one...

a city of your size and all.

East St. Louis baby! I used to work there for a hot and humid summer. Man the recent news about the woman killing her best friend, killing the fetus, and stuffing her best friend's other children in a washer and dryer.

I like your enthusiasm. Memphis is a beautiful city with an old feel but still beautiful, IMO.

• 8 months later...

If Alabama gets a team over Memphis it will be the greatest travesty of all time. And all this talk about small market is a bunch of crap. Memphis could definetly support an NFL team. We should worry about the Grizzlies first and build a fan base to where they will remain in Memphis forever, which I think they will, and then worry on getting an NFL team. The Grizzlies aren't going anywhere for a long time. The city made it to hard for them to move before their lease with the Fed Ex forum is up. There seems to be talk about Memphis and the NFL every 5 to 7 years and now there are rumors of Memphis being apart of this new football league that is formed with Mark Cuban and other investors who want to compete with the NFL with an eight team league. If Memphis does become apart of this new league and things work out there could be a possible merger with the NFL in the future.

I haven't heard about this Cuban venture with the football league. Anybody have any more info on it? Exansion leagues are shaky ventures.....esp. in regards to getting cities, even larger ones, to support new franchises with unheard talent and no fan loyalty to the league. I would bet Cuban if in charge would stand a better shot than most though it setting up a viable one. Still an awfully risky venture it seems, but no risk, no reward.

• 1 month later...

"If Alabama gets a team over Memphis it will be the greatest travesty of all time. And all this talk about small market is a bunch of crap. Memphis could definetly support an NFL team."

If you really believe Bham is going to get the Grizzlies from Memphis you're not paying close attention. 99.99999999999% of metro Bham residents know that would never happen. Not because Memphis is somehow far superior but because John Rodgers (the guy who made the ridiculous Grizzlies comment) is a nutball. The dome project was something I was strongly for back in 1998 where it came close to happening but it has lost its punch. All thing being equal I think both Bham and Memphis could support an NFL team. They both have well over a million residents in the metro and do well economically. Having said that, I don't understand the knock on Alabama and especially the insinuation about Bham. Bham actually has a higher per capita income than Atlanta and trails only Charlotte, Richmond, Nashville, and Miami in that category among Southeastern cities. As far as buying power goes, Bham actually has a higher buying power per capita than Memphis.

sanjose.bizjournals.com/edit_special/52.html

I remember when Memphis was in contention against Charlotte and Jacksonville for the NFL expansion team in the early 90s. I was so sure that the teams would go to Charlotte and Memphis until the proposed name was announced. That's when it seemed to me that the ownership team was not very bright... I mean the Hound Dogs??? If there was a city born with a team nickname it's Memphis. They should have played up the name Kings in honor of Elvis, the Egyptian connection, and finally homage to Martin Luther King Jr.... which would have been a no-brainer. Duh!

Memphis' demo numbers were better than Jax at the time, but I supposed at the time that the two existing NFL teams in FLA wouldn't want another. I really think Memphis was going to prevail over Jax.

Just goes to show, you never know.

• 3 months later...

The only way I could see Memphis being successful with an NFL team is building a stadium at east off of I 40 in the arlington area. Games would be easier to access, and the people who can actually afford to go to games would be a closer drive way, with the completion of 385, plus you could pull in a contingent from Jackson.

FedEx forum is a beautiful arena. I'm a huge fan of the NBA and the GRiZZ, but they are starting to feel the effects of buiding a stadium downtown. In cities where the downtown is in the center it makes sense. But our downtown is a 40 minute drive during good traffic from all of the people who can afford to go to games. I'm sorry, but this is just my opinion. Memphis should not build stadiums downtown. It's a big mistake. And if you read all of my posts on here, I'm a huge fan of downtown growth, just not for stadiums downtown. When I get off of work at 5 o'clock and go home and have dinner and shower, by the time I get settled down it is 6:30, then a 40 minute drive to the game,a and a 40 minute drive back is just too much.

I think hoping for the NFL to expand any time soon is not very promising given 32 teams is neatly divisible into 4 team divisions and the artificial scarcity of the teams is very beneficial to the current owners. Unfortunately if Memphis ever did get a team New Orleans, St. Louis, and Nashville are all in different divisions. If they could get in a division with all three of those teams they'd have a lot of help selling out 3 of the 8 home games on their schedule every year. I don't think Atlanta has the following and Dallas is too far away to significantly help in that regard.

Memphis could have supported a team any number of the half a dozen times they didn't get one since the 70's but the NFL has never been about making sure all possible viable cities had a team.

Maybe since they are angling to go international if they ever did actually do that they'd only have a couple of international cities (London? Mexico City?) that would interest them and they'd want to create a full new 4 team division so they'd pick up a couple more teams in the US AND reshuffle the divsions so Memphis could be in the same division as at least 2 of its close teams.

Archived