Yale turning downtown New Haven into upscale outdoor shoping mall

beerbeer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Well, If we had an Ivy, we could let them handle everything too.......

It is great for DT New Haven though. We can learn a lot from them and their efforts. Hartford will have to do it our own way though.

Well, you have Trinity (one of the "little ivies")..

New Haven seems to be benefitting in the same way as Providence does from having so many colleges. How many students live in New Haven between Yale, SCSU, and University of New Haven?

Well, you have Trinity (one of the "little ivies")..

New Haven seems to be benefitting in the same way as Providence does from having so many colleges. How many students live in New Haven between Yale, SCSU, and University of New Haven?

Yeah, but there's no comparison. Trinity has only a small fraction of the impact Yale has or even Brown. A city with a true Ivy has a huge advantage. Yale is the largest employer in New Haven. If it wasn't for Yale, New Haven would not survive. Now if you took any of the colleges away from Hartford, the impact would be somewhat significant, but far from devastating. Hartford needs to get it's corporate tenants to cooperate on a comprehensive plan. It would benefit them to have somewhere enticing close to the offices for recruitment efforts and employee retention.

Not to mention the fact that Trinity is, for all intents and purposes - flat broke - which is why we now have to house some students at the Hastings Hotel. Trinity wishes it had the influence of Yale but at this moment it is struggling with things like faculty health care costs and financial aid too much to be able to buy retail storefronts in Frog Hollow and Behind the Rocks...much as I wish it could.

Not to mention the fact that Trinity is, for all intents and purposes - flat broke - which is why we now have to house some students at the Hastings Hotel. Trinity wishes it had the influence of Yale but at this moment it is struggling with things like faculty health care costs and financial aid too much to be able to buy retail storefronts in Frog Hollow and Behind the Rocks...much as I wish it could.

Which goes to my point, that we have no Yale or equivalent. There really is no equivalent to Yale IMO. Harvard followed by the rest of the Ivy's are similarly impactful on their communities. Not just through direct action, but through what the students bring to the city. Hartford doesn't have that, and more than likely never will. We don't have a school that can do it for us. I really really wish we did though. It would definately be nice.

Quinnipiac and UHart seem to be doing well after years of obscurity. Trininty has a better name the those two universities, but it and the city need to change the area around it otherwise it is going to continue to have a hard time attracting well to do students.

Quinnipiac and UHart seem to be doing well after years of obscurity. Trininty has a better name the those two universities, but it and the city need to change the area around it otherwise it is going to continue to have a hard time attracting well to do students.

Of course the schools can and have been helping Hartford. All of that can certainly be increased for the good of the schools and the city. I think UHart is getting pretty ambitious and wouldn't be surprised to see big changes coming this way by way of them pretty soon.

Trinity needs to get their finances in order, but they have been very active in Hartford in the past, as I expect they will continue to do. Trinity definately needs to get more commercially active in that neighborhood in order to bring about positive change. That neighborhood really isn't bad though, but it could be spruced up.

Yale's endowment is bigger than all the colleges in Providence annd Hartford put together. They are one of a very few schools that can buy the downtown of a mid-major American city and remake it as they wish.

Exactly. New Haven is extremely lucky to have Yale.

I am a Hartford fan and I have been to New England's smaller cities such as Springfield, Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Providence and Manchester (NH) but New Haven has a differant feel and is full of hustle and bustle most of the time.

Providence is a great city but for example Brown and RISD are on College Hill and yes they have improved buildings downtown/downcity they are not based right in the heart of downtown like Yale. J&W is downtown but is no where near as big and well known as Yale. The fact that the Yale campus is right next door to the New Haven green helps immensly. On a Saturday afternoon one can walk down Chapel Street and find people strolling around (students, residents, and yes even tourists and suburbanites), restuarants open, shops open, and theaters open.

Hartford needs to use UHART. UHART is improving every day and attracts many affluent students from the tri state area. The school and the city need to get these students more involved in the city in all aspects. Visit the musuems, visit the night life scene, eat at the cities restaurants as opposed to west hartford center and get internships and hopefully jobs with a hartford company

I have pictures of New Haven i took a couple of weeks ago that I will post soon!!!

I am a Hartford fan and I have been to New England's smaller cities such as Springfield, Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Providence and Manchester (NH) but New Haven has a differant feel and is full of hustle and bustle most of the time.

Providence is a great city but for example Brown and RISD are on College Hill and yes they have improved buildings downtown/downcity they are not based right in the heart of downtown like Yale. J&W is downtown but is no where near as big and well known as Yale. The fact that the Yale campus is right next door to the New Haven green helps immensly. On a Saturday afternoon one can walk down Chapel Street and find people strolling around (students, residents, and yes even tourists and suburbanites), restuarants open, shops open, and theaters open.

Hartford needs to use UHART. UHART is improving every day and attracts many affluent students from the tri state area. The school and the city need to get these students more involved in the city in all aspects. Visit the musuems, visit the night life scene, eat at the cities restaurants as opposed to west hartford center and get internships and hopefully jobs with a hartford company

I have pictures of New Haven i took a couple of weeks ago that I will post soon!!!

Yeah, that's what I've been saying. My money is on UHart. If they ever get a real off campus center built, like what should be going in where Westbrook Village is now, that would be amazing and provide an immeasurable benefit to the North End. I do know that UHart students are also excited about the prospects of living downtown, so we definately need to get them involved.

U of H should move its business school downtown. Its about 2 miles from the main campus and students could get much more involved with jobs, internships, etc at the large Fortune 500 companies. Business students could live downtown while art, music and tech students could live on the existing campus.

U of H should move its business school downtown. Its about 2 miles from the main campus and students could get much more involved with jobs, internships, etc at the large Fortune 500 companies. Business students could live downtown while art, music and tech students could live on the existing campus.

Really they should look at partnering with UConn and their business school Downtown. Back in Atlanta, many of the colleges colaborate on many things. I would like to see some more cooperation up here. It can be a lot more cost effective to the institutions and the students and give the city a boost in the process.

Exactly...even if Hartford is not the greatest city and UHART is not an ivy league school ( it is a good school I mean not being a school like Harvard) the fact that UHART is located minutes from downtown is extremly helpful. If someone wants to major in business you are going to go much farther by going to school in Hartford instead of say upstate NY because you will be able to get more internship opportunities and jobs from companies in the Hartford and New Haven areas.

Exactly...even if Hartford is not the greatest city and UHART is not an ivy league school ( it is a good school I mean not being a school like Harvard) the fact that UHART is located minutes from downtown is extremly helpful. If someone wants to major in business you are going to go much farther by going to school in Hartford instead of say upstate NY because you will be able to get more internship opportunities and jobs from companies in the Hartford and New Haven areas.

Exactly, that's why Hartford is even better than Providence or New Haven. You can actually go to school where the jobs are.

BINGO!!!!!! Even though New Haven is bustling most of the time with all its shops and restaurants there is a much larger business scene in the Hartford area between downtown and the suburbs especially Windsor, Rocky Hill, East Hartford, West Hartford, Farmington and Simsbury.

• 1 month later...

University of Hartford president Walter Harrison has spoken quite openly about how he wants to make UHart more invested in the city. The new student housing in the Sage-Allen building downtown as well as the new Performing Arts Center and University High School on Albany Ave. are an excellent start. When the student housing opens downtown next year, shuttles will bus students from the bloomfield ave. campus, to the asylum ave. campus, down to the Sage Allen. This means even students who do not live downtown will most likely use the shuttle to access the bars. Next year is really a big one for UHart with about 100 million dollars worth of construction projects finally either coming to an end or beginning to really pick up steam.

Exactly, that's why Hartford is even better than Providence or New Haven. You can actually go to school where the jobs are.

unless you want to go to a better known school... which is why people go to new haven or providence (yale, SCSU, PC, brown, RISD, JWU).

if uhart could really step up their stuff, it would be a big boost for both the college and the city. hartt is one of the best music schools in the area, they should be doing more to attract those people. any college in hartford that doesn't have a business school downtown should. that's the one advantage hartford has over new haven or providence (i won't even count bridgeport in any of this)... the corporate climate. but the problem is no one knows much about the colleges there because they're not major schools compared to those in new haven or providence.

to get back to what the thread is about... i don't really think of new haven as an upscale outdoor shopping mall anymore than i would call 5th ave or newbury st an upscale outdoor shopping mall. what yale has done is great for new haven (and it's not all yale, destefano has helped quite a bit, especially with the public transportation).

no, new haven would not be as bustling as it is without the colleges, but either would providence, boston, or any other college town. even cities like new york would be much more dead without the colleges.

Archived