NWA Weather

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And they even have Woodward OK, on the map too. They my as well put Harrison or Eureka Springs on the weather map then.

Hey Mith242, Coming to check-out the NWA forum. Great idea to start a weather thread for your region. Have yall been fairly dry too ?

And they even have Woodward OK, on the map too. They my as well put Harrison or Eureka Springs on the weather map then.

Hey Mith242, Coming to check-out the NWA forum. Great idea to start a weather thread for your region. Have yall been fairly dry too ?

Yeah development news has been a little slow lately so I was just trying to post something. Yeah it's been dry up here. Although it was worse earlier in the year. For a while we were in the next to worse drought condition. It's not as bad but I think were 6-7" below normal. But it looks like we have a good chance of rain over the weekend.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like it's going to be a pretty hot week. I've seen some forcasts predicting that even Fayetteville will hit 100 later this week. I seem to remember last summer not being too bad overall but thought that we might have hit 100 at some point. Does anyone remember the last time we had some 100's up here in Fayetteville or NWA?

Looks like it's going to be a pretty hot week. I've seen some forcasts predicting that even Fayetteville will hit 100 later this week. I seem to remember last summer not being too bad overall but thought that we might have hit 100 at some point. Does anyone remember the last time we had some 100's up here in Fayetteville or NWA?

Yeah, Last summer Fayetteville hit 100 and 101 in a row. On the 22 and 23 of July. That was the only 2 days that we broke the century mark. Still hitting 100+ is rare in Fayetteville. In 1994 the hottest we reached was 92 degrees for the year. That is my kind of year.

Yeah, Last summer Fayetteville hit 100 and 101 in a row. On the 22 and 23 of July. That was the only 2 days that we broke the century mark. Still hitting 100+ is rare in Fayetteville. In 1994 the hottest we reached was 92 degrees for the year. That is my kind of year.

Yeah I certainly agree with you about '94. I was thinking we might have hit 100 a day or two last year but wasn't sure. I think that had been the first time in a few years.

That's the only bad thing about weather in NWA... we get so spoiled to near perfect weather all the time that when we do get a few hot (or cold in winter) days we really feel it moreso than people who are used to warmer or colder seasons. NWA may not be heaven but it's almost paradise. :D

That's the only bad thing about weather in NWA... we get so spoiled to near perfect weather all the time that when we do get a few hot (or cold in winter) days we really feel it moreso than people who are used to warmer or colder seasons. NWA may not be heaven but it's almost paradise. :D

A sizeable chunk of this country in both land area and population would think that 94F is really hot for a summer. Everywhere in the US is cold compared to the summers in the desert southwest and everywhere is warm compared to the upper midwest winters. We actually have a pretty good temperature variation here.

Also, if anyone is still questioning why so many OK towns are on this map, but NWA isn't, it is because this is the OK map. Our region is under the guidance of the Tulsa department of the NWS, so the map is centered around Tulsa. When you look at the AR map, it is centered around Little Rock and we ARE on that map.

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USAR0...om=search_city#

Yeah I certainly agree with you about '94. I was thinking we might have hit 100 a day or two last year but wasn't sure. I think that had been the first time in a few years.

Who cares if it's not over a 100. It's hotter that hell.

Our problem which makes us just as hot as Wichita or even out in Arizona is the humidity and heat index. When it's 101 here it feels like 112. When it's 112 in Las Vegas, it feels like 112. They are both just as dangerous to the human body. NWA may be a little luckier than the river valley were everyday in the summertime the heat indexes range from 100-117. Having been in both humid and dry heat, I'd take the dry heat :thumbsup:

Yeah I guess I could have loaded the Arkansas map but I liked the one I posted better. I thought it gave a better view of the surrounding area. And yes I'm certainly thankful not to live in Ft Smith. I think all the cities along the Arkansas River tend to have worse humidity than places like us. But Ft Smith seems even worse. They seem to get all the hot Oklahoma heat and they are also surrounded on three sides by the Arkansas River in the main part of the city.

Who cares if it's not over a 100. It's hotter that hell.

Our problem which makes us just as hot as Wichita or even out in Arizona is the humidity and heat index. When it's 101 here it feels like 112. When it's 112 in Las Vegas, it feels like 112. They are both just as dangerous to the human body. NWA may be a little luckier than the river valley were everyday in the summertime the heat indexes range from 100-117. Having been in both humid and dry heat, I'd take the dry heat :thumbsup:

Dry heat is actually even better than that, many times the heat index is actually LOWER than the temperature. However, while it makes it feel better one is far more likely to dehydrate in 110F+ temps with <15% humidity. You sweat a LOT and never feel it, so you are losing water like crazy without realizing it. Here at least you know exactly how freaking hot it is and you certainly know when you are sweating.

Most places in this country that have cooler summers also have colder winters and vice versa. Places further north tend to have shorter, less green summers and places further south lack fall foliage. So NWA is about as close to paradise as one can get, although there are other near paradises around the world.

• 1 month later...

Supposedly it's going to 'cool' off back to our normal highs after today. I know Fayetteville has had 4 days (not including today which also appears to have hit 100) of 100 degree heat. But I think we all know Drake Field where Fayetteville's figures come from seems to be a cool spot for the area and the state for that matter. I know there's been a number of days that one of the NWA cities hit 100 even when Fayetteville didn't. Anyone have any idea how many 100 degree days the metro as a whole has hit so far this year? If Fayetteville has hit 4 or 5 then I think there's a good shot that the metro as a whole has hit it around 10 times. But I'm just estimating here.

Don't know about the rest of the metro but man that was some storm that just blew through here. Felt more like a tropical storm. The streets in my area of the city were flooded in just 5 to 10 minutes and the winds broke a number of tree limbs. Doesn't look like any major damage but that was still pretty wild.

It looks like winds of over 60 mph maybe close to 70 mph just came through the Fayetteville area. I have heard many reports of slight roof damage but lots of trees and limbs down. I will have to get out and drive around to see if there is anything worse.

It looks like winds of over 60 mph maybe close to 70 mph just came through the Fayetteville area. I have heard many reports of slight roof damage but lots of trees and limbs down. I will have to get out and drive around to see if there is anything worse.

Yeah I heard that too, forgot to mention the wind strength. Like I said earlier that was pretty crazy. The streets in my area were flooding so quickly.

Yeah, I heard about that. It's rain well needed.

Archived