NWA Weather

Look like we might finally get down below freezing this week. The most powerful cold front thus far in the season should swing through Wednesday night. This would allow some lower 30 by Thursday/Friday morning. At least I hope so.

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that myself. I've seen one forecast on the internet predicting us not to get out of the 40's for a high on Thursday. But most are predicting 50's, which is still pretty cool compared to what we've been used to. I'm still waiting for a little rainfall. If we don't get any rain soon I think that's going to limit how well the fall foliage will be. I've actually seen a few trees that have lost all their green. But so far all the colors seem a bit dull. I think some rainfall could help spark up the colors.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I've been keeping an eye on that myself. I've seen one forecast on the internet predicting us not to get out of the 40's for a high on Thursday. But most are predicting 50's, which is still pretty cool compared to what we've been used to. I'm still waiting for a little rainfall. If we don't get any rain soon I think that's going to limit how well the fall foliage will be. I've actually seen a few trees that have lost all their green. But so far all the colors seem a bit dull. I think some rainfall could help spark up the colors.

We need some rain pretty bad, but I think that we will get some this week. Pretty good change Tuesday night as it looks right now.

I am out of state right now, but talked to some friends and family in north Fayetteville this morning and they said it was sleeting pretty good. Temps were in the upper 30s at the time. Looking for around 29-32 tonight for a low. This is not really too early in the season for a freeze but pretty early for a report of some freezing precip.

I am out of state right now, but talked to some friends and family in north Fayetteville this morning and they said it was sleeting pretty good. Temps were in the upper 30s at the time. Looking for around 29-32 tonight for a low. This is not really too early in the season for a freeze but pretty early for a report of some freezing precip.

Interesting, I did see some precip this morning but it was all liquid. It was very light too for that matter. I'm still waiting for some decent precip. It had stayed pretty cool but it seems to have warmed up quite a bit the last hour or so. Halfway through the afternoon we were still in the mid 40's here in Fayetteville. But it's quickly gotten into the low 50's. I did hear this is close to the average frost, just a bit early. But I think the record low is 32 so looks like a good chance to tie or set a record.

Wow yall, it must be nice up in there in NWA. Here in Baton Rouge it's still 84 degrees. The Canadian Cold front just past Shreveport were the temp. is 57. I noticed it's only 48 in Memphis now.

Send it our way ! It's coming thru here tonight.

There is actually a rotating T-Storm cell currently in western La.

Wow yall, it must be nice up in there in NWA. Here in Baton Rouge it's still 84 degrees. The Canadian Cold front just past Shreveport were the temp. is 57. I noticed it's only 48 in Memphis now.

Send it our way ! It's coming thru here tonight.

There is actually a rotating T-Storm cell currently in western La.

It's showing to be 54 here currently, but at about 10:00 am today when I left the office to go grab some breakfast, I could see my breath. When that happens, to me it's COLD. :D

I heard some frozen rain coming down early this morning (Thursday) up here in Rogers. My wife insists on leaving all the windows open even it's twice as cold now as when we had the a/c running all summer (and we kept it chilly)... go figure.

freezing rain? I know it was cold, but how cold? Mid 40's?

It could've been. We had the windows open and I could hear the rain hitting the ground. It sounded like freezing rain, but after some thought it could have been light rain hitting all the dead leaves on the ground that sounds like freezing rain. :blush:

It's showing to be 54 here currently, but at about 10:00 am today when I left the office to go grab some breakfast, I could see my breath. When that happens, to me it's COLD. :D

Yeah it's times like this that I'm glad I don't live quite so far south. :D

It could've been. We had the windows open and I could hear the rain hitting the ground. It sounded like freezing rain, but after some thought it could have been light rain hitting all the dead leaves on the ground that sounds like freezing rain. :blush:

Okay I think we're confusing meteorology terms here. Technically freezing rain is when the air above the ground is warm and the rain freezes when it hits the ground because there's a very cold layer of air at the surface. I think what Mike is actually referring to is sleet. In this case it actually started off as snow in the upper levels of the atmosphere. It hit a warm pocket of air and melted a bit and then refroze a bit as it got closer to the surface with a layer of cold air. In the wintertime how thick the layer of cold air is will determine is we get snow or sleet. :D

Okay I think we're confusing meteorology terms here. Technically freezing rain is when the air above the ground is warm and the rain freezes when it hits the ground because there's a very cold layer of air at the surface. I think what Mike is actually referring to is sleet. In this case it actually started off as snow in the upper levels of the atmosphere. It hit a warm pocket of air and melted a bit and then refroze a bit as it got closer to the surface with a layer of cold air. In the wintertime how thick the layer of cold air is will determine is we get snow or sleet. :D

Very good Rod! Did you know this or did you look it up? :D

It just seems to me that sleet doesn't fall until around 38 to 28 degrees (based on experience). Of course, it was in the low 40's so I guess it's possible, I just didn't notice.

Very good Rod! Did you know this or did you look it up? :D

Believe it or not I actually knew this. I'm full of all sorts of weird information. :lol: I do take a bit of an interest in meteorology. Probably not as much as you, but I do have some interest in it.

It just seems to me that sleet doesn't fall until around 38 to 28 degrees (based on experience). Of course, it was in the low 40's so I guess it's possible, I just didn't notice.

A lot of it really has to do with how deep or shallow the layer of cold air is. It's the same thing with freezing rain. It can be below freezing at the surface level but if the layer of cold air is shallow enough then it nevers freezes to become sleet. Then it just freezes at the surface which of course usually makes a big mess.

Now I'm seeing forecasts with having lows in the 60's next week? Seems a bit warm this time of year.

Its fall in NWA. Temps will go up and down with each storm system/frontal passage. Temps will be the highest just before the front comes through then lowest about a day after its passage. It looks to be back in the 50s and 60s for highs by the end of next week.

Its fall in NWA. Temps will go up and down with each storm system/frontal passage. Temps will be the highest just before the front comes through then lowest about a day after its passage. It looks to be back in the 50s and 60s for highs by the end of next week.

I guess I'm just a bit surprised by having highs in the 70's and lows in the 60's. Not much of a temp swing there. I'm guessing it's either going to be cloudy or humid or both. Maybe we'll finally get a little rain. Some cooler lows would also be nice for some fall foliage.

• 3 weeks later...

The last two mornings have been the coldest thus far in the fall season. Fayetteville made it down to 23 degrees both mornings and XNA made it down to 24 Thursday morning and 23 this morning. It will be a much warmer weekend w/ temps in the 60s and a good chance of rain.

The last two mornings have been the coldest thus far in the fall season. Fayetteville made it down to 23 degrees both mornings and XNA made it down to 24 Thursday morning and 23 this morning. It will be a much warmer weekend w/ temps in the 60s and a good chance of rain.

Yeah I was a bit surprised to see it get that cold this morning. I don't think anyone was predicting lows down that far. This certainly reminds me of weather out west in New Mexico. In the spring and fall it's not too uncommon for there to be a 50 degree swing between highs and lows in the northwest corner of the state. I never thought much about wearing clothes in layers till I went out there. You pretty much have to out there, at least in certain parts of the year. I'm curious as to when the first snow will be. I remember in the 90's I think there was three years in a row (or maybe it was 3 out of 4 years) where we had snow albeit very light around Halloween. But generally it seems most of our snow tends to come around January/February.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a slight change of snow coming up Tuesday night/Wednesday. I wouldn't expect much but at least winter is finally getting close to NWA. Expect windy and much cooler conditions even if there is no snow. Highs in the 30-40s by Wednesday afternoon. :D

I hadn't heard any mention of it on the news but one of my coworkers said something about that too. It would certainly be interesting to see. I doubt it would be anything serious enough to cause many problems.

Archived