NWA Weather

Looks like a slight change of snow coming up Tuesday night/Wednesday. I wouldn't expect much but at least winter is finally getting close to NWA. Expect windy and much cooler conditions even if there is no snow. Highs in the 30-40s by Wednesday afternoon. :D

Oh no, the part about winter that I hate. :( I still like how snow is pretty, but hate shoveling the driveway and cleaning off the car.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no, the part about winter that I hate. :( I still like how snow is pretty, but hate shoveling the driveway and cleaning off the car.

Yeah but I don't think you'll have to worry about it this time. I get the impression if we get any it will be at night and then it will melt pretty early in the daytime.

• 2 weeks later...

Modified Arctic air coming into NWA later this week. Temps falling by late Wednesday with some rain and storms. Highs in the 30s by thursday and friday, lows in the low 20s and teens. Slight chance of snow on Thursday. We will have to wait and see if this works out.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. :D

I know not everyone is looking forward to it but I am. I was down in southern and eastern Arkansas over the Thanksgiving holiday and I had wished I had taken some shorts with me. That just doesn't make me feel like it's the holidays. I'll have to wait to see if we actually end up with much snow. But it does appear that it's going to really cool off.

Winter Storm Watch in effect for the area starting late Wednesday night through Thursday night. Looks like a mix of freezing rain/sleet and finally some snow by later on Thursday. How much of any type of precip we get will depend on how soon the cold air can filter in here. Some models are saying up to 4 inches of snow by the end over NWA/NE OK. With more ice/sleet towards Ft Smith. Finally the first winter storm of the season. It seems like it has been forever since the last one. Enjoy... :D

Winter Storm Watch in effect for the area starting late Wednesday night through Thursday night. Looks like a mix of freezing rain/sleet and finally some snow by later on Thursday. How much of any type of precip we get will depend on how soon the cold air can filter in here. Some models are saying up to 4 inches of snow by the end over NWA/NE OK. With more ice/sleet towards Ft Smith. Finally the first winter storm of the season. It seems like it has been forever since the last one. Enjoy... :D

Yeah I've been hearing a lot of different things. Guess we'll just have to see. Like you said we'll have to see just how quickly the cold air filters in. I'm still wondering though if it would accumulate quite so much since the ground is rather warm. I suppose some strong northerly winds would help cool down the surface layer to allow accumulation. But I don't think it would last long because it would seem to me some of the warmth a little further down will filter up to the surface layer of the ground.

Looks like KNWA is predicting the precip to mainly turn to sleet/snow around noon on Thursday. Although there are some chances of freezing rain or a little freezing precip mixed in the the rain earlier in the day.

I wish it would snow down here in TXK but by the time the cold air arrives we'll only get a few pellets of sleet or snow flakes. Nothing to get excited about on my end.

Yeah, it is still a little too early in the season for you guys in SW Arkansas, but maybe winter will finally get here for all of us.

Yeah I've been hearing a lot of different things. Guess we'll just have to see. Like you said we'll have to see just how quickly the cold air filters in. I'm still wondering though if it would accumulate quite so much since the ground is rather warm. I suppose some strong northerly winds would help cool down the surface layer to allow accumulation. But I don't think it would last long because it would seem to me some of the warmth a little further down will filter up to the surface layer of the ground.

Looks like KNWA is predicting the precip to mainly turn to sleet/snow around noon on Thursday. Although there are some chances of freezing rain or a little freezing precip mixed in the the rain earlier in the day.

Ground temps are a huge problem with this storm. Recent highs in the 60s-70s have warmed the 4 inch soil temps into the 50s area wide. Bridges/overpasses should have some accumulation and trees and powerlines could get a good coating of ice. This system is still about 36 hours out so we may not get anything if it goes further north.

Yeah you never know. It wouldn't be the first time everyone got geared up for winter precip only for something to change and we end up getting nothing.

Once the oposite happened in my neck of the woods. The weather man said we'd see a little snow and it wouldn't stick. Wouldn't you know that we ended up getting nearly 6 inches of snow. This happened in February of 2004.

Once the oposite happened in my neck of the woods. The weather man said we'd see a little snow and it wouldn't stick. Wouldn't you know that we ended up getting nearly 6 inches of snow. This happened in February of 2004.

Yeah that happens too when you do get snow and it's not predicted. But generally it's the opposite. Usually if there's a chance of winter precip, even if it's only a slight chance, it gets mentioned.

Thanks for the maps Rod. Winter Storm Warnings are now in effect for Benton County and Eastern Oklahoma. Washington county will likely be added as the afternoon continues. Still looks like a line a strong to severe storms will come through the area as the front comes through. I would expect this sometime around 3-6 pm or so. Freezing rain will start over night then change to sleet and snow with up to 4 inches possible by Thursday night.

Here is a link to the Oklahoma Mesonet. Its a good way to follow the front's progression: MESONET

Wow! That's a big temp difference. Down here we're expected to change over to a mix of sleet, snow and freezing rain around noon tomorrow. Little if any accumulation expected. Does it snow every year in NWA?

Usually. The question is how much. Some years we've only gotten 2 or so inches a year while some years we get a few 12 inchers.

Thanks for the update Colby. And yes Darius it does tend to snow up here. Although sometimes it doesn't snow very much at all. Seems like overall the snow has decreased since I've lived here. People who have lived up here for quite a while usually have some interesting stories about snow from a while back. Not sure if we'll have to worry about anything like that in a while though the way the weather patterns have been running.

There is a few changes going on in the forcast this afternoon. The has been a Tornado Watch posted for extreme eastern OK and Parts of western AR. There are a few storms beginning to go up around the arctic front. Could be more snow than previously thought. Northern OK could pick up close to 10 inches while the Fayetteville area may see 4-6. It all just depends on how fast the frz rain can transition to snow.

I just made it back from Fayetteville to Tulsa. It is 35 degrees and thundering w/ rain and the temp is dropping fast. It should be down into the upper 20s by nightfall. Front looks to hit NWA over the next 2-3 hours.

There is a few changes going on in the forcast this afternoon. The has been a Tornado Watch posted for extreme eastern OK and Parts of western AR. There are a few storms beginning to go up around the arctic front. Could be more snow than previously thought. Northern OK could pick up close to 10 inches while the Fayetteville area may see 4-6. It all just depends on how fast the frz rain can transition to snow.

I just made it back from Fayetteville to Tulsa. It is 35 degrees and thundering w/ rain and the temp is dropping fast. It should be down into the upper 20s by nightfall. Front looks to hit NWA over the next 2-3 hours.

Still so hard for me to think of getting 4-6" when I'm sitting here in shorts. :lol: Anyway thanks for the update. Looks like I need to update my picture links again since we've moved on to another page.

Okay here's the maps again till we get onto another page again.

cen_curtemp_440x297.jpg

cur_cen_440x297.jpg

us_okc_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg

Could we see Thunder Snow?

I've only seen it once and it's about the coolest thing ever. While I'd hate to see snow, I'd also love to see it b/c it's pretty. I just hate shoveling the crap off my driveway and the rest of Northwest Arkansas acting like sulfur has fallin from the sky. I guess the humidity and the changing of freezing rain to snow are the most important factors.

Also, the weather channel shows up to 2 inches of rain tonight, along with 6-10 inches of snow tommorow and 4-6 tommorow night.

Could we see Thunder Snow?

I've only seen it once and it's about the coolest thing ever. While I'd hate to see snow, I'd also love to see it b/c it's pretty. I just hate shoveling the crap off my driveway and the rest of Northwest Arkansas acting like sulfur has fallin from the sky. I guess the humidity and the changing of freezing rain to snow are the most important factors.

Also, the weather channel shows up to 2 inches of rain tonight, along with 6-10 inches of snow tommorow and 4-6 tommorow night.

Yeah the snow can be a pain I admit, but I still like seeing it. These snow predictions are all over the place. I saw another internet forecast acting like we'd probably only get 1-2".

Archived