NWA Weather

Could we see Thunder Snow?

I've only seen it once and it's about the coolest thing ever. While I'd hate to see snow, I'd also love to see it b/c it's pretty. I just hate shoveling the crap off my driveway and the rest of Northwest Arkansas acting like sulfur has fallin from the sky. I guess the humidity and the changing of freezing rain to snow are the most important factors.

Also, the weather channel shows up to 2 inches of rain tonight, along with 6-10 inches of snow tommorow and 4-6 tommorow night.

Yeah, overnight tonight and early tomorrow will be the best shot at thunder snow. I have seen it a handful of times growing up in Fayetteville.

That much snow is possible if things go just right but don't get your hope up. I will be happy if we just get 6 or 8 inches total.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, overnight tonight and early tomorrow will be the best shot at thunder snow. I have seen it a handful of times growing up in Fayetteville.

That much snow is possible if things go just right but don't get your hope up. I will be happy if we just get 6 or 8 inches total.

I don't think I've ever experianced a thunder snow since I lived here in NWA. To be honest the way things have gone the past few years 6-8" would be somewhat impressive. I think that would equal some of the largest snowfalls I've seen since I've moved here.

While much of NWA is still in the upper 60's Siloam Springs has already dropped to 50. A little bit into the future but KNWA is predicting a low of 11 Sat morning.

That low is kind of dependant on how much snow we get. The more snow on the ground will keep that temp lower. I guess we will know by this time tomorrow. The front should be moving through Fayetteville over the next little while. Enjoy the storms for me, its not doing anything over here in Tulsa now.

Could we see Thunder Snow?

I've only seen it once and it's about the coolest thing ever. While I'd hate to see snow, I'd also love to see it b/c it's pretty. I just hate shoveling the crap off my driveway and the rest of Northwest Arkansas acting like sulfur has fallin from the sky. I guess the humidity and the changing of freezing rain to snow are the most important factors.

Also, the weather channel shows up to 2 inches of rain tonight, along with 6-10 inches of snow tommorow and 4-6 tommorow night.

Wow! That's a lot of snow! I haven't seen anything close to that since I was in the 3rd grade.

I was a little surprised after that big drop temps didn't drop much more last night before I went to bed. But early this morning the temps are getting closer to freezing. But most forecasts I've seen are predicting the snow more this afternoon and tonight. The system that will be here tonight is the same one that just dumped quite a bit of snow in New Mexico yesterday and it's also the same system that was snowing on the Monday Night Football game up in Seattle.

I was a little surprised after that big drop temps didn't drop much more last night before I went to bed. But early this morning the temps are getting closer to freezing. But most forecasts I've seen are predicting the snow more this afternoon and tonight. The system that will be here tonight is the same one that just dumped quite a bit of snow in New Mexico yesterday and it's also the same system that was snowing on the Monday Night Football game up in Seattle.

We have got about 1/2 inch of sleet over here in Tulsa with temps in the mid 20s. The snow will be moving in as the morning progresses. The Fayetteville area will slowly fall below freezing this morning and will begin to pick up sleet then finally snow this afternoon and evening. Looks like around 4 or 5 inches in NWA and 8-12+ in Northern OK.

Looks like it's snowing in Rogers now, not sure what it's doing in Fayetteville. The Radar shows a wintry mix/sleet over it now.

Not sure about south Rogers but it's just sleet up here in north Rogers. Not a snowflake to be seen. There's already been a 3-car collision on Hudson (102).

:cry::cry:

I want some of that HERE!!

It's sleeting here now, at least. Hey, it's a start... especially for a region that rarely gets any winter weather. :)

Edit: Oh that's sleet? Oh. Still, at least it's sticking!!! It just melts right away here.

There's about half an inch on my yard right now. It's getting slick outside though. I think it's about 20 degree here. Certainly not going to be a good commute the next few days.

There's about half an inch on my yard right now. It's getting slick outside though. I think it's about 20 degree here. Certainly not going to be a good commute the next few days.

I hope it freezes here. Then I won't have to go into the office until late in the day tomorrow. :) We Louisianians don't drive in that mess unless it's life and death.

I'm over in Tulsa for the weekend and according to the offical total at the airport we have 10.4 inches of snow. I have been trying to dig out my driveway and that seems pretty close. We also hae some good 1-2 foot drifts...it is wonderful. :D

My brother in west Fayetteville said that they had around 3 or so inches as well. Bartlesville has around 15 inches, I am sure some other outlying areas of northern OK have close to 20.

It was very weird here in St. Louie. The storm front seemed to go diagonally from St. Louis to Fayetteville. So, here, we got mostly freezing rain. On the ground, there's a thick layer of ice with a dusting of snow. Maybe 1-3 inches in all. Bummer. We were supposed to get ~8" of snow. It's strange to think that people so much farther south got more snow....

It's also weird how Benton County seemes to get a sizable amount of more snow than even surrounding Arkansan counties. It seems it's just north to some sort of winter weather line that makes it more prone to winter weather..

I only ended up with about an inch where I live. From what I saw from the area the most I saw was around a couple of inches. Nothing all that big after some of the predictions I saw. Although it looked like not too far from the Arkansas border it jumps up dramatically. It also melted from all the streets and sidewalks rather quickly today.

Archived