2016 Olympics

eastsider

Houston is one of five cities that will be submitting proposals to the U.S. Olympic Committe for the chance of being the host city in the United States' bid for the 2016 Olympics. The other cities invited to participate are Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. The deadline to submit the proposals is June 21st and each city will make a 15 minute presentation on June 23rd.

Houston participated in the process for the 2012 Olympics, but New York was selected by the USOC and then finished fourth for the games that were awarded to London.

Houston Chronicle: Houston bid team reunites with new goal: 2016 Games

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first I have heard of this. If NYC has the 2012 Summer Games then I seriously doubt that a U.S. city would win the games just 4 years later. Possibly 2024 or 2028 though.

I feel the same way. I think if it's going to the Americas. It will be South America.

This is the first I have heard of this. If NYC has the 2012 Summer Games then I seriously doubt that a U.S. city would win the games just 4 years later. Possibly 2024 or 2028 though.

NYC did not win the 2012 Summer Games. As stated in the original post, the USOC selected NYC to be the host city in their bid for the 2012 Olympics. But, the Olympic organizing committee selected London to host the games. That is what is happening now, the USOC is in the process of selecting a host city should they decide to make a bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

San Francisco should be the US city that comes out of these three, if they put together as sound of a bid as they did in 2012. I really thought San Francisco got my vote over NYC for 2012. The games will return to return to the Americas for 2016; however, I suspect Toronto would be the leading candidate with the IOC. We've got a few years to watch and see how the selection process and voting all pan out.

Archived