Mid Town City Center

memphis born

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's obvious you put a lot of thought into that. I have had thoughts about the structure too, that are founded on the same overall hope, but with different details. I think the focus needs to be on that ethnic flavor, and go beyond those that are here now. I'd say double the size of that part.

I want that area to develop a world-wide reputation as a unique ethnic district where the turfs among cultures are more blurred than other cities, but where the overall atmosphere and character is distinctly international. I think doing so would help Memphis attract attention internationally, particularly when folks consider whether they want to move to Memphis. But the plan needs to encourage participation from the immigrant population that already exists. They need to be on the forefront of the development, not only to welcome new folks in, but also to provide perspectives on how to be respectful to them and attract them in the first place.

And with the way the Memphis creative spirit alters and interprets things, who knows what interesting cultural and corporate masterpieces might emerge from such a smorgasborg collision of cultures.

The ServiceMaster part would be great. I hope I'm wrong in thinking they have a suburban kind of mindset. Obviously, I'd prefer a tower somewheres, but whatever it takes to bring them to Memphis. I don't think a major corporate presence would be necessary to make this successful, particularly if a large chunk of space was devoted to meeting rooms, ancillary convention space, and the rest devoted to condos and apartment.

and with the amount of space for additional structures, we don't necessary have to limit the square feet to 1 mill. I'm thinking an attached hotel, a new garage to replace to 50s relic, and maybe other satellite mid-rises (4-8 stories) that complement the art-deco architecture.

[edit] I also thought about using part of the facility for the zoo's aquarium/aviary/herpetarium, to free up space there b/c it's landlocked. Maybe a wing of the renovated structure used as a zoo satellite. I know people might be groaning "ugh, not aNOTHER aquarium proposal." And maybe they're right. Maybe this building is not the right place for it. But I think it's indisputable that eventually, we have to think about the existing aquarium at the zoo and how they fit together. Does that aquarium meet the community's needs? Does an aquarium that would meet the community's needs fit within the existing geographic scope of the zoo and it's vision for that location? And if not, does that mean we keep the aquarium as the fishtank it is, and the aviary as the birdcage it is, and say well, the zoo will be first-class in everything, BUT that? Or do we go the route of say Audubon and San Diego and look at locating a satellite that will serve the purposes of the zoo and the community? It was just an idea. Obviously I didn't dedicate the time to consider how large it would be and divy up the 1 mill ft2 among all my ideas. Basically, I got a bunch of ideas, and I hope most of them can be included either within the facility, or just somewhere in the midtown/downtown area.

I like it! Got the money? What ever happened to the people planning to redevelop it? Did that deal fall thru? I use to think an ethnic market would go better at the Mall of Memphis site but I've changed my mind. It can be the keystone to the Little Saigon neighborhood and its close to St. Jude's long term housing which draws patients from all over the world. Minneapolis has a Sears building which was redeveloped similar to memphis born's proposal. The Sears Crosstown Building in Memphis looks alot like the one in Minneapolis too!

Check out the video at this site

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_154202619.html

Minneapolis' Midtown Global Markets Homepage

I like it! Got the money? What ever happened to the people planning to redevelop it? Did that deal fall thru? I use to think an ethnic market would go better at the Mall of Memphis site but I've changed my mind. It can be the keystone to the Little Saigon neighborhood and its close to St. Jude's long term housing which draws patients from all over the world. Minneapolis has a Sears building which was redeveloped similar to memphis born's proposal. The Sears Crosstown Building in Memphis looks alot like the one in Minneapolis too!

Check out the video at this site

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_154202619.html

Minneapolis' Midtown Global Markets Homepage

I don't know what happen to the developer, that's a good question. I have sent emails to the CCC about the status of the project, no response from them. Hey I did find out the building is off the market, got a email back from Edward Saig I'm sure he probably knows more. Nai saig company they were handling sale of the property. Here's his email and # [email protected] 901.526.3100. Interesting point about minneapolis sears building it does remind me of the one in memphis. The one in boston (landmark center) looks even more like ours. Bears I really wish I had the money to make this happen this would be a great project. Maybe we should get Henry Turley/ Belz enterprises excited about a possible renovation of the building. They certainly have the capital, I would have to hit the lottery.

I can tell you for sure the ServiceMaster part won't happen. I work in the corporate office for one of the SVM companies. SVM has purchased a couple hundred acres on Forest Hill-Irene for their new corporate headquarters. So far, we have a training center there. But, there are already plans drawn up for several buildings, cafeteria, gym, walking trails, lake, etc.

Many people don't realize this, but 90% of SVM's corporate functions are in Memphis. With the CEO recently getting the ax, there are several Memphians up for the role. The rumor is that once a Memphian finally gets the position, the Downer's Grove office will be shut down and Memphis will be the official headquarters of yet another Fortune 500 company.

Otherwise, very creative and ambitious plan!

I can tell you for sure the ServiceMaster part won't happen. I work in the corporate office for one of the SVM companies. SVM has purchased a couple hundred acres on Forest Hill-Irene for their new corporate headquarters. So far, we have a training center there. But, there are already plans drawn up for several buildings, cafeteria, gym, walking trails, lake, etc.

Many people don't realize this, but 90% of SVM's corporate functions are in Memphis. With the CEO recently getting the ax, there are several Memphians up for the role. The rumor is that once a Memphian finally gets the position, the Downer's Grove office will be shut down and Memphis will be the official headquarters of yet another Fortune 500 company.

Good point Memphis Mike, I know about the land at FHI and I believe the lease is up in 2 years at 860 ridgelake. I heard they were looking at concord efs before it was sold to harrahs and I heard they were looking at the UP Bank Headquarters at goodlett farms so something will happen soon. Has Albert Cantu be made the official CEO yet? Oh just to mention my plan for sears Crosstown does not have to include a 500 company but office space in my view, would be critical to the success of the project.

Good point Memphis Mike, I know about the land at FHI and I believe the lease is up in 2 years at 860 ridgelake. I heard they were looking at concord efs before it was sold to harrahs and I heard they were looking at the UP Bank Headquarters at goodlett farms so something will happen soon. Has Albert Cantu be made the official CEO yet? Oh just to mention my plan for sears Crosstown does not have to include a 500 company but office space in my view, would be critical to the success of the project.

Well I guess we'll just have to attract the Northwest HQ :shades:

Cross your fingers! GREAT hopeful news . . .

Well I guess we'll just have to attract the Northwest HQ :shades:

Or maybe Schering Plough, Swift, or Hilton? None of them are very likely, but you should always aim for the stars while remaining grounded.

Archived