Jacksonville P&C Discussion Thread

bobliocatt

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I fully expect that rule to be put to rest, or drastically altered, since the city really wants to improve its image and status as a big city player. Having the Church create rules that control economic development defeats the whole purpose of projects, like this.

I know it lies within the 4 block rule. But the Bay Street Town Center itself really isn't near any church. All the bars will face Bay Street, and won't be directly affecting the church areas. I tihnk that maybe the city could make just that one corridor (Bay St) an exception to the rule.

Super Bowl Watch: New Project for East Jacksonville

31835_200.jpg

Contractor Woody Garner heads an investment group that intends to renovate the two-story 715 A. Philip Randolph Blvd. building near Alltel Stadium into ground-floor restaurants and retail stores and second-story offices. Tenant discussions are taking place. For now, Frame Rock Partners Inc. seeks zoning approvals. "We are just trying to provide the impetus for some commercial revitalization and also renew the legacy of historical East Jacksonville neighborhood," Garner said of the almost 8,000-square-foot structure. While the Feb. 6 Super Bowl "provides a lot of incentive for this redevelopment and could help launch the success of the spaces," Garner said the game "is just a historical moment in time" and the renovation is not dependent on it.

THE NETWORK: Sleiman keeps Landing vision intact

With just a little more than eight months left until the Super Bowl, developer Toney Sleiman said Friday that he doesn't intend to start redeveloping The Jacksonville Landing downtown until after fans leave after the Feb. 6 game.

Minor cosmetic changes are in store instead.

"We're going to clean up, paint and get it ready for the Super Bowl," Sleiman told the Commercial/Industrial Development Task Force of the Jacksonville Regional Chamber of Commerce.

Sleiman, who bought the struggling riverfront marketplace in August, said negotiations continue with the city regarding his redevelopment plans. Sleiman and the city have disagreed over the interest rate on a $21 million loan that Sleiman has requested, among other issues.

Sleiman declined to provide details, but said he expected to come to terms with city officials within several months. "We're still negotiating with them. It's getting really close," he said.

The Jacksonville-based developer of at least 120 retail and residential projects told the real estate group that his family business initially wanted to complete some of the eventual $250 million in renovations in time for the Super Bowl.

When he could not complete a city deal in time to complete the first phase of renovations in time for the game, he said he decided to hold off on any major work so that construction equipment wouldn't crowd the site during the Super Bowl events.

Sleiman proposes a three-phase redevelopment that includes parking garages topped with boutique hotels, along with offices and a possible 25-story office tower that he would fill with a Fortune 500 company.

Noting that three Fortune 500 companies are based in Jacksonville, he said he had 497 "companies to go chase ... and be the postcard for this city." Sleiman figures that since many downtown skyline promotions include the Landing, a Fortune 500 marquee there would be enticing.

At the same time, he also said that he was "not going to build anything until I have tenants," noting that "you have to be careful" building speculative space downtown.

Asked his timetable, Sleiman estimated a decade.

"We can do everything in seven to 10 years," he said. "I'm committed to this. You know how aggressive I am," he told the group.

"I'm going to keep pounding until I get it done. I promise you, I'm going to get the Landing done."

Meanwhile, Sleiman can overlook the Landing from a better view. He bought two penthouses at the nearby Plaza condominiums, formerly Berkman Plaza, and intends to combine them into one large unit. Sleiman said he bought them as an investment and not as a primary residence.

I'm not to concern about his towers blocking the entire view of the river, because they are only around 6-8 stories or roughly the around the scale of the Dyal-Upchurch Building. Any building 10 stories taller should still have pretty good views to the river. However, the 25 story tower, which is probably years away, is a concern for 11 East. I just don't think you can do anything about it, considering the Adams Mark Hotel, was allowed to build next door, right on the river a couple of years ago. Hopefully, whatever company buys that site, will come back with a more impressive design, because Sleiman's model looks pretty bland, for a high visibility site like that.

*Attention Jax Forumers*

If you're in town, you should pick up a free copy of the local Arbus Magazine because this month's edition (May/June) is dedicated to the growth of downtown. There's new renderings and information about new developments as well as information about the city's goals and timeline for downtown and the inner city in general. You can find the Arbus Magazine at any public library branch in the free newspaper & magazine section in the Lobby area.

When did the new design proposals for the former JEA building come out?

The new proposal came out back in the beginning of May, in a Jax Business Journal article.

The building is currently under contract and once it is finalized, the developer wants to start construction on the 31 story building ASAP. He also doesn't want any city money (incentives) which lead me to believe that he must have his financing in order.

Jacksonville Landing Update

The Jacksonville Landing will gain another restaurant. Mongo's Hot Flat Grille is planned in 8,000-square-feet of space there on the second floor, above Ruby Tuesday. The beach-themed restaurant will not have menus, according to the Landing public-relations director. Customers choose what they want from a selection table and then take it to a seven-foot flat-top grille. Think burgers, fish and similar items for lunch and steaks and seafood for dinner.

Lofts, shops in works for Lerner Shops site

33013_400.jpg

By SARAH SKIDMORE

The Times-Union

The Kimmik Corp. plans a $6.7 million renovation of the former Lerner Shops building into lofts, office and retail space.

The building at 20 W. Adams St. was built in 1911, and the company plans to restore it to that fashion. The Downtown Development Authority approved a $400,000 historic preservation fund grant Wednesday for the project.

"I think it's a welcome addition," said Councilwoman Suzanne Jenkins. "I'm thrilled."

Kimmik, a Jacksonville-based developer, is working with a restaurant to occupy the first floor. The lease is not signed yet, but Douglas Williams, project manager for Kimmik, said the agreement will be finalized soon. Developers intend the second floor for office space, and the remaining five floors will be turned into lofts.

The building will have approximately 20 lofts, depending on the final floor plan designs. The monthly rentals will range from about $1,000 to $3,000.

"We're very excited about what we're trying to bring to downtown development," Marion Graham, general manager for the project, told the DDA.

The board approved the grant for the project with an amendment that requires the housing be within the going market rate. DDA has not defined its market rate yet but will be doing so shortly. Williams said he is confident the project will meet the DDA requirements since the company had received federal funding under similar stipulations.

The company plans to have the building available for occupancy by the first quarter of 2005.

Developers ironing out details of towers project

hm_towers400.jpg

At around 750 feet, including radio antennae, the two proposed towers on the Southbank, called the Waterside Condominiums, would be the tallest buildings in Jacksonville when completed.

By CHRISTOPHER CALNAN

The Times-Union

The South Florida developers planning to build two 48-story residential towers on the Southbank said they expect to submit updated plans for the project in 30 to 45 days.

Hal Dodt, a partner in Boynton Beach-based Krook Douglas Development, said the company is planning to provide the Downtown Development Authority more details in late June or early July. The updates would mark the first public signs of progress on the project since March, when the developers got preliminary approval from the DDA's design review committee.

Dodt said this week Krook Douglas is still ironing out the details of the project while considering working with other developers on it.

"We're trying to move ahead," he said. "We have not stopped at all. The more time we spend on the project, the more excited we get."

The towers are proposed for a site on Prudential Drive, next to the Aetna Building property that Krook Douglas bought in January.

Krook Douglas has said it spent $40 million buying the land, and plans to spend an additional $100 million on the towers. Company president Jeffrey Douglas has said he hasn't decided whether the 550 residential units in the towers will be sold, rented or both.

Despite appearances, the site has enough room to build both towers on the property without removing any existing structures, Dodt said.

Although one of the towers would be near the Acosta Bridge and adjacent railroad tracks, he said the noise factor will be reduced by the use of the building's first seven floors as a parking garage.

DDA Executive Director Al Battle said he has no knowledge of the project's status. The developers requested information about the downtown residential market, but they haven't applied for any incentives. That's not uncommon, he said.

Developers frequently seek information to help them crunch their numbers before returning to the city with a firm proposal, Battle said.

"I don't see it as uncommon for there to be a gap in communication. I don't know either way what they are going to do on the project, but that's just because we haven't been in contact," he said.

If the units are sold as condominiums, entry-level pricing would be $150,000 to $170,000, Douglas has said.

Construction of the towers should take about two years to complete. Dodt said it's too early to tell if they'll ask for city incentives to build the project.

Archived