Burn the American Flag?

monsoon

Burn the American Flag?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to burn the American Flag if it says "Made in China" on it?

• No - It's still the Stars and Stripes
    • Yes - Communist made Flag goes against US basic priciples
    • No Opinion

The other day I was given a small American Flag that had a "made in China" lable on this. That struck me the wrong way so I made this thread to get other people's opinion of that. Fortunately for Memorial Weekend, we also had a larger flag, that said, Made in the USA, on it. I proudly flew that one.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive recently had a grudge against these flags made from foreign countries as well. I just dont see why the American flag cant be made here. If anything, make it one of the top goods being made in the US. It just shows how incapable we are about dealing with the small things that make a big difference.

I would never burn the American flag period, thats the country we live in. So what if it was made in China, that does not justify burning the flag, its still wrong.

Now if i had to spend 50 cents more on a American made flag over a chinese-made american flag, ill chip in the extra 50 cents so my money does not go overseas.

Ive recently had a grudge against these flags made from foreign countries as well. I just dont see why the American flag cant be made here. If anything, make it one of the top goods being made in the US. It just shows how incapable we are about dealing with the small things that make a big difference.

It goes down to a stupid mentality. My grandfather told me a little story once that came to mind. He always complained about his wife. She worked at a textile mill, and the two were shopping at woolworths or some chain downtown. She picked shoes or whatever from a sales rack, and when my grandfather said "why the hell are you buying that" she said "it's cheaper" and rolled her eyes. It was clearly labeled "made in (insert asian country)". Well before I was born the textile mills were closed down, and not long after I was born Thermos left the area, too. People will pay the lower price for goods even when that mentality screws them in the long run.

As dumb as it may be that its made in another country, it's still the American Flag. I guess if you burned a "Made in China" one while flying a "Made in USA" one as a protest to the foreign made ones, thats OK, but you would probably want to make VERY clear what your doing.

Everyone has the right to burn the flag whether China made it, or your grandma hand stitched it in her basement for 3 years.

Things would have to get pretty dire to make me burn the flag, and hate my country, but golly gee if the politicians aren't trying hard enough to make that happen!

Things would have to get pretty dire to make me burn the flag, and hate my country, but golly gee if the politicians aren't trying hard enough to make that happen!

I may hate the politicians and the government, but hating my country is a different matter. I would never burn a flag because I love this country, there is nothing else like it. I like the diversity, race, income, religion, everything. There is nothing a politician could do to make me hate my country as a whole.

Burning an American flag made in China would be a worthless protest. Besides getting a little attention, what would it accomplish?? Why not stage a protest that would get people, or businesses that sell them to not buy flags made in China? This would probably be a better solution to the problem.

But the idea of burning a symbol of our country, no matter where it was made is a horrible thing to do. Even if you poorly drew a picture of the flag on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper and burned it, it would still be very disrespectful.

I would never burn the American flag period, thats the country we live in. So what if it was made in China, that does not justify burning the flag, its still wrong.

Now if i had to spend 50 cents more on a American made flag over a chinese-made american flag, ill chip in the extra 50 cents so my money does not go overseas.

^I totally agree with all of that.

Everyone has the right to burn the flag whether China made it, or your grandma hand stitched it in her basement for 3 years.

That's exactly right. I would much rather live in a country where you have that choice(to burn your own flag) than living in one where they would kill you for it. :thumbsup:

That being said, like you, it would take something major to anger me enough to do something like that. ;)

I would never burn the flag, but as an example of free expression, the right to do so is one of the sacred principles for which it stands. I have no problem with those who burn the flag as a protest against the US, and it surprises me that so many otherwise level-headed, intelligent people get so oversensitive over the issue.

I voted "no opinion," because the "yes" response implies that there's something intrinsically offensive about burning the flag. I'm a proud American, but I'm not offended by flag burning nearly as much as I am by efforts to outlaw it.

I voted "no opinion," because the "yes" response implies that there's something intrinsically offensive about burning the flag. I'm a proud American, but I'm not offended by flag burning nearly as much as I am by efforts to outlaw it.

I agree. People who get all up in arms about flag burning might as well burn the Bill of Rights.

It amazes me that some on the left will ask this question (no matter where it was made it is still the American flag) yet continue to vote for people like Diane Feinstein and Hillary Clinton who pay their credit cards off with money from their husband's China "slave trade" and speech fees in those evil oil nations of Saudi Arabia and UAE (Dubai Ports deal anyone?) respectively. Republicans aren't any angels on this but at least they get called out for what they are.

Think of it this way your money isn't going to oppress some poor Chinese person, it is going to oppress some poor Chinese person so Diane Feinstein can pay off her Bentley and build up her campaign warchest to continue to be a leading liberal voice in the Senate. Oil money? Try Hillary's campaign fund via Bill's lucrative speaking fees there.

Do we burn them? Made in China credit payments and all?

I would never burn the American Flag or stand for anyone else to, even if it were made in Iraq!

Too many people have given their lives to defend it and too many people are still putting their lives on the line for it now.

My gut tells me that any US soldier would fight just as hard to protect an American flag made in China as an American flag made in the USA...it's not the cloth, it is what it represents that they protect and honor.

th_TilTheyAllComeHome.jpg

Til They All Come Home

My gut tells me that any US soldier would fight just as hard to protect an American flag made in China as an American flag made in the USA...it's not the cloth, it is what it represents that they protect and honor.

I would rather our soldiers feel that they are fighting to protect the Consitution, a document that like it or not (and we all should like it) gives us freedom of speech. We are a country founded on freedom, we should tread very lightly in trying to restrict those freedoms, even if we don't agree with someone elses choice of expression. The only symbol of our nation we should hold sacred is the Constitution itself.

I would rather our soldiers feel that they are fighting to protect the Consitution, a document that like it or not (and we all should like it) gives us freedom of speech. We are a country founded on freedom, we should tread very lightly in trying to restrict those freedoms, even if we don't agree with someone elses choice of expression. The only symbol of our nation we should hold sacred is the Constitution itself.

Yeah, unfortunately people don't seem to feel the constitution is as sacred as it should be.

I wonder what the founding fathers would say about flag burning...

I agree with that to an extent, but we don't gaze at a copy of the Constitution with our hands on our hearts as we recite our National Anthem. Don't take that the wrong way... the Constitution is extremely important; however our flag must also be protected as it's the most recognizable symbol, throughout the world, of this great nation.

I wonder what the founding fathers would say about flag burning...

Given that all of the founding fathers commited treason against the government, aka the British Empire, and formed a new government, the United States, I would say they would be the first to say that a person's right to free expression, including buring the flag should be allowed. The last thing they wanted was another dictatorship like the one they overturned. It's too bad that many today would suggest that it is ok to take away certain peoples rights (flag burning) even though this is protected in the constitution, then turn right around and say that it is ok for everyone to pack heat because its in the Constitution.

I suggest a read of this.

I don't see any reason to burn the American flag. I don't see that as the worst desecration to it. I think going to the bathroom on it or ripping it or stomping on it are just a few examples of something worse.

As far as flying American flags made in China... I find it rather funny that most of the people that frown so much upon burning the flag are the ones that support free trade.

But if you're really so angry that you feel the need to burn an American flag... then by all means, do it. And then go out and exercise your right as a citizen to get off your butt and fix the problem you hate so much through petitioning and voting.

The flag is desecrated on a daily basis. If people were serious about protecting the flag they would not allow it to be desecrated.

From the Federal Flag Code:

(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.

flagdesicration.jpg

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

(k) The Flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

I find it ironic that the people who get most riled up about flag burning, are very often the same ones who daily violate the Federal Flag Code by displaying the flag improperly.

The last thing they wanted was another dictatorship like the one they overturned. It's too bad that many today would suggest that it is ok to take away certain peoples rights (flag burning) even though this is protected in the constitution, then turn right around and say that it is ok for everyone to pack heat because its in the Constitution.

I suggest a read of this.

I could flip that around on you, though my original question regarding the founding fathers was rhetorical. I think flag burning is stupid, but it shouldn't be illegal. The right to bear arms is a more important right than the right to burn flags. Without the right to bear arms, the entire bill of rights is pointless. The founding fathers put the 2nd amendment in there so we can overturn the government whenever the public has had enough of it. I don't understand how you can think flag burning is such a sacred right when you don't think people should be allowed to "pack heat".

Were you trying to lure me into a political discussion or is it that you just can't help but try to bash the right wing every time you get the chance? Flame away if you want, this is all I'm going to say on the subject.

I could flip that around on you, though my original question regarding the founding fathers was rhetorical. I think flag burning is stupid, but it shouldn't be illegal. The right to bear arms is a more important right than the right to burn flags. Without the right to bear arms, the entire bill of rights is pointless. The founding fathers put the 2nd amendment in there so we can overturn the government whenever the public has had enough of it. I don't understand how you can think flag burning is such a sacred right when you don't think people should be allowed to "pack heat".

If we let the 1st Amendment slip, then I don't see much to defend and much need for arms. The 1st Amendment is the core of our society. Without it, we might as well just give up. There's a reason why its first.

Without the 1st Amendment, we would not be having this discussion.

^^I love how the constitution today is defending things that somehow never got written into the constitution. I know we have to make a few things up along the way with a document approaching 250 years old but let's call that what it is.

Also no matter how much the founding fathers hated the British Empire I don't think any of them were disrespectful enough to BURN the symbol of what made it great but evil.

Archived