Shopping Cart Solutions

L3ft1isM

It's the store's fault when people are ignorant and irresponsible and take the carts? I'm a store manager and we simply do not have the payroll, times or means to do this.

The stores budget needs to be adjusted to either install a system or hire someone to retrieve them.

I've heard several systems mentioned that seem like they would work.

The bad thing is, I'm sure the stores will not change their budgets unless they are forced to.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as using devices attatched to the carts, those things cost a lot of money, and that cost is of course passed on to the customer.

So long as the cost of retaining carts is passed on to the Customer/Store, I'm OK with that. The nuisance of retrieving shopping carts shouldn't be the burden of local government; hence, why would we pass this expense onto the taxpayers?

True, but the cost of cart collection being passed off to the customer through higher prices is still a bit unfair to the customers who practice civil behavior and don't steal carts or abandon them in other places than the store property.

I suppose that in a sense, increased costs will get passed off to the customer one way or another-- concrete is more expensive now, for example, and as the chain expands and builds new franchises we need to raise prices of goods to pay for it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But with the cart issue I think there's a lot that can be done to help the situation, or at least make it present itself less dramatically. Maybe by siting buildings up against the street, the transit user problem can be eliminated: shoppers who use the bus to get to the store don't need to roll their things out to the bus stop if the bus stop is right outside the front door (to the previous poster, many transit agencies prefer to stay away from off-street routings, and it's more often the case that the private developers/landowners don't want transit coming on their property because of the misguided stigmas that it carries in the United States). And then you don't have a parking lot in front of the building full of carts: if parking is behind the building and drivers must access it through a separate entrance, focus the majority of the cart storage there (one assumes that those driving have more capacity in the load of groceries they can purchase in one visit than people who get to the store on foot, by transit or otherwise).

The deposit idea is a good one. Sure, if you're really intent on stealing a cart now it will cost (but only a quarter). This will enforce good behavior for the vast majority of shoppers who do not intend to steal a cart, and who would really rather not have to see the blasted things all over the parking area either. Hey, if I want my quarter back, I'll take the two minutes and walk the cart back to the storage area. If I'm really that lazy, shame on me. As this reduces a need for additional store staff to occasionally round up carts in the parking lot, lower labor/operating costs of the store can be passed off to customers in the form of lower prices.

True, but the cost of cart collection being passed off to the customer through higher prices is still a bit unfair to the customers who practice civil behavior and don't steal carts or abandon them in other places than the store property.

of .

If the carts are removed from the property that cost is also passed on to the customer. If the carts were really THAT expensive the stores would take care of them on thier own. If a penalty is enacted it has to cost more than simply replacing the cart to give the store some incentive to keep the cart on property.

I think the city/county should enact a penaly. Stores that can't keep their carts on property will not only look unseemly but drive customers away with their high prices.

I know this thread is for the entire metro area, but for the Publix that is going in downtown... Don't you think that some of the new locals downtown are going to have their own little carts to walk back to their condos that are only a few blocks away? Not to mention, I would think that most of the downtowners are going to only grab a bag or two and make daily or very frequent trips since storage will be an issue in smaller spaces. People aren't going to have 2 car garages to store 20 rolls of toilet paper and the like.

Kind of in the same arena; what does everyone think of Orlando adopting something similar to San Francisco's .17 cent bag fee? This may help to discourage potential plastic bag pollution from shoppers downtown and all throughout the metro. You know you've seen plastic bags crumpled on the sides of 50 or flying through the air of a neighborhood street. There are many solutions such as purchasing canvas bags, plastic crates, etc., and they can be used over and over again. If you are living, say downtown, and shop at the new Publix, it would be much more comfortable to carry a canvas bag during your walk than paper or plastic.

Also, consider this:

"...In the U.S. alone, an estimated 12,000,000 barrels of oil are required to produce the 100 billion plastic bags used annually;"

and

"...In 1999, more than 14 million trees were felled to produce the 10 billion paper grocery bags used by Americans"

This is not including the numerous bags just floating around everywhere outside, I could count possibly 5 on my walk around Lake Eola the other night. I didn't pick one up because it had pee on it (see homeless discussion from earlier thread ;) )

Not only would a decision like this be more environmentally conscious, but it would make Orlando stand out as a progressive city. The monies generated from the purchase of bags could be used for public clean-up projects. We know the tourists would be buying disposable bags. Plus using your own bags is much more "urban chic."

What do you all think?

Kind of in the same arena; what does everyone think of Orlando adopting something similar to San Francisco's .17 cent bag fee? This may help to discourage potential plastic bag pollution from shoppers downtown and all throughout the metro. You know you've seen plastic bags crumpled on the sides of 50 or flying through the air of a neighborhood street. There are many solutions such as purchasing canvas bags, plastic crates, etc., and they can be used over and over again. If you are living, say downtown, and shop at the new Publix, it would be much more comfortable to carry a canvas bag during your walk than paper or plastic.

Also, consider this:

"...In the U.S. alone, an estimated 12,000,000 barrels of oil are required to produce the 100 billion plastic bags used annually;"

and

"...In 1999, more than 14 million trees were felled to produce the 10 billion paper grocery bags used by Americans"

This is not including the numerous bags just floating around everywhere outside, I could count possibly 5 on my walk around Lake Eola the other night. I didn't pick one up because it had pee on it (see homeless discussion from earlier thread ;) )

Not only would a decision like this be more environmentally conscious, but it would make Orlando stand out as a progressive city. The monies generated from the purchase of bags could be used for public clean-up projects. We know the tourists would be buying disposable bags. Plus using your own bags is much more "urban chic."

What do you all think?

Sounds reasonable. I believe I heard that a city in India (Bombay/Mumbai?) banned them entirely due to their ability to rapidly clog stormwater drains.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all--- if you did sign the consumption based bag fee petition, I aplogise. After 3 proofreadings you would think that type-os would be found... especially "Cotty" instead of "Crotty."

Anyway, if you don't mind checking out the new one, you can do so here. Please also note there was a small addition/ modification in regard to retailers and the fee.

Thank you all again for your support! Also, check out this week's Newsweek cover story regarding America's growing green trend

Hello all--- if you did sign the consumption based bag fee petition, I aplogise. After 3 proofreadings you would think that type-os would be found... especially "Cotty" instead of "Crotty."

Anyway, if you don't mind checking out the new one, you can do so here. Please also note there was a small addition/ modification in regard to retailers and the fee.

Thank you all again for your support! Also, check out this week's Newsweek cover story regarding America's growing green trend

Thiscause.org was down for quite a few days, so if you tried resigning the petition I apologise for it not running. However, it has returned to operation and can be accessed HERE. Thanks for your support!

• 1 month later...

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this:

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/features/story.asp?id=10929

It is stated in the article that the City of Orlando is considering an ordinance to require stores with 20 or more carts to have some cart retention system...and to touch on another topic brought up recently, I noticed the Aldi grocery stores charge a deposit for their carts - 25 cents if I recall correctly.

.25 deposit to use a cart and get it back when u return it. ROSS attached a pole on the cart (which is longer than the height of the door opening) for awhile so the customer cant push them out of the store.

didnt they used to do that at OIA?

Now there is a practical, yet inexpensive business solution. However I am picturing a customer desperately trying to push a 7 foot tall cart out of the 6 foot x 3 foot door. :rofl:

Kind of like the Far Side cartoon where the kid is going to the 'Gifted School' but is pushing with all his might on a door labeled 'pull'

post-8152-1156534819_thumb.jpg

post-8152-1156534819_thumb.jpg

Archived