Historic Monroe

ZachariahDaMan

Since the weather has been getting nice out I've been doing a lot of research online for new downtowns to go to for some picture taking and exploring. I found quite a few sites with information about Monroe. I decided to go there because it seemed to be very historic. I even found a website with pictures from around Monroe but just about all of them were just of houses so I was worried downtown would be crappy but I wasn't disappointed. I took many pictures and actually filled up the camera so I will have to make a trip back. I will be breaking up my Monroe pictures into parts.

Monroe seems to have done a great job preserving its history. It has many historical markers but the bad thing is some of them are getting worn out and harder to read. If you want a nice, historic small town to visit then Monroe is for you!

100_2074.jpg

100_2081.jpg

Part 1- Heck Park

100_2070.jpg

100_2066.jpg

100_2067.jpg

100_2068.jpg

100_2069.jpg

100_2071.jpg

100_2072.jpg

100_2073.jpg

100_2075.jpg

100_2076.jpg

Abandoned paper factory:

100_2078.jpg

100_2079.jpg

Monroe County Historical Museum:

100_2083.jpg

100_2084.jpg

100_2085.jpg

More to come...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos of the town I grew up in. A couple of things that might interest you:

- The martial arts building with all the ivy was originally housed the Masons. I don't know where the moved...

- There was another paper mill across the street from the one in your photo. After being vacant for several years, it was torn down, and lots of the surface dirt was hauled away because of contaminants. In its place, a new neighborhood was built using New Urbanism principles - closer spacing of houses, pedestrian-friendly, etc. No word on whether something similar will happen to the mill in your photo.

- The original statue of Gen. Custer was supposed to have both the horse' front legs raised. There's a prototype in the Historical Museum you visited.

- The Historical Museum was originally the Post Office. It was slated for demolition, but the Historical Society got it instead. Good thing, in my opinion, because it's a nice building.

Nice photos of the town I grew up in. A couple of things that might interest you:

- The martial arts building with all the ivy was originally housed the Masons. I don't know where the moved...

- There was another paper mill across the street from the one in your photo. After being vacant for several years, it was torn down, and lots of the surface dirt was hauled away because of contaminants. In its place, a new neighborhood was built using New Urbanism principles - closer spacing of houses, pedestrian-friendly, etc. No word on whether something similar will happen to the mill in your photo.

- The original statue of Gen. Custer was supposed to have both the horse' front legs raised. There's a prototype in the Historical Museum you visited.

- The Historical Museum was originally the Post Office. It was slated for demolition, but the Historical Society got it instead. Good thing, in my opinion, because it's a nice building.

I've been to Monroe many times. It is a beautiful, historic little town.

Another major part of Monroe is the Immaculate Heart of Mary Motherhouse. The IHM community began in the frontier settlement of Monroe, Michigan in 1845.

The sisters have won many major awards over the last few years for their enivonmentally friendly renovations they have made to their community.

IHM: Sustainable Community

They offer tours, to find out more you can click here.

Thanks for the info. I just read an interesting article in the Monroe News about how the city recently acquired the land where the 1813 battle happend that resulted in 600 American troops dying and they want to turn it into a major historical attraction. City leaders want a interpretive center built along with the battlefield park. I can't wait to see what they do!

Archived