COMPLETE: Capital Square, Douglas Ave.

If Camp Street doesn't affect those neighborhood prices then time will correct any affect C.B. has on Douglas Ave.

As an aside, I think many would argue that Camp's nearby presence does influence prices there a little bit in the areas you name...

Regarding the Douglas neighborhood (and Smith Hill as a whole), I wouldn't worry about gentrification anytime soon... I think projects like this will just keep helping the neighborhood climb up to the level of "improved." I don't think we're looking at Brookline South anytime soon.

I'm one of those people kinda' down on Smith Hill. I drive through it almost every day and while it has great potential, it has a loooong way to go... Projects like this and other good work done around there will certainly help.

- Garris

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think if anything, instead of trying to force this into being a "better" area, just had new project homes, or some kinda of condo like living for people "moving up" and then put affordable to expensive living in another area where it won't be a problem to sell the houses, and to keep people in them. I think most people know about the two PC kids, and if they don't once those residences are up and running that will hit the paper and really detract people from the area. I know people who live near buttonwoods where they were murdered, and its hard for them to sell property because people know what happened there and the closeness to the hartford projects.

no one is forcing anything, that's the thing. it's happening naturally and i think the residents of that neighborhood are welcoming the change with open arms. it's needed.

yes, carjackings happen, 2 PC kids were murdered. how long ago was that? i honestly never even heard of that. people in RI need to stop dwelling on the past and welcome the change that's occurring.

jerry is correct in saying that the riff raff from chad brown usually don't spill out into the surrounding neighborhoods, at least not with the problems. there are many successful businesses in that area and many more will also succeed. this isn't simply gentrification, it's change for the residents. this project will greatly add to this neighborhood and continue to make it safer. something to remember is that there is a police sub station not far that was just recently built (i think it's only 2 years old). i live not far from here. i am happy it's changing, but i'm also happy it's not being gentrified.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived