New view of downtown

gs3

Did some urban exploring this weekend and stumbled onto this view. Some of you may know about it, I didn't. From Queen Street in the West End, from the bridge over the major north/south rail lines through the city.

Unfortunately, my camera doesn't do it justice. Been looking at new camera's, when I get one with some great lense attachments, will go back and re-shoot.

The view in person is great, as the city spreads out along Main and you get a sense of the great length of downtown along Main.

CIMG5503.jpg

CIMG5487.jpg

CIMG5504.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's funny, but I know someone posted this before, but I though it was you! :lol: My brain is not very sharp right now, but I do know someone posted that shot before. Thanks for the photos, gsupstate. :thumbsup:

One thing I don't like is the way each tower looks shorter than they really are.

Edit: Found it! it was Trey who posted this angle in the Where in Greenville? thread.

You can clearly see the demarkation between the uptown and downtown skylines. With rumors of a 27 story tower somewhere (I assume downtown), as well as the Pinnacle and TBA Bob Hughes projects uptown, we could see a very dramatic change over the next few years! Dont' forget about The Camperdown, either! :thumbsup:

You can clearly see the demarkation between the uptown and downtown skylines. With rumors of a 27 story tower somewhere (I assume downtown), as well as the Pinnacle and TBA Bob Hughes projects uptown, we could see a very dramatic change over the next few years! Dont' forget about The Camperdown, either! :thumbsup:

The ones that will definitely be built are:

• Pinnacle in Main

• The Camperdown

• RiverPlace Phase III

Others reported, but not advanced yet are:

• Federal Courthouse

• Main at McBee

• Tower at Spring and McBee

• City Hall Plaza

Rumored are:

• Washington at Main

• Northend

Other developments may occur in the City, but further out, beyond view from this angle.

You can clearly see the demarkation between the uptown and downtown skylines.

I didn't realize that Greenville had separate downtown and uptown districts. That's a great shot of Greenville's skyline (it should be placed on UP city page or something). I think the terrain makes it hard to get a shot that shows all of buildings (without some of it out of view behind a hill, trees or something).

Currently, there really isn't a clearly difinative "Uptown" vs. "Downtown." What you see above is downtown, but Greenville is in the very early stages of an incredible building boom south of downtown, along I-85. That will likely become the new Downtown, and this will become Uptown, with an already well-defined Midtown forming along I-385 .

Now if there was a way to get this angle in a wider, high resolution shot, we would have a much better representation of the true size of Greenville's downtown.

GreenvilleSkyline3.jpg

Currently, there really isn't a clearly difinative "Uptown" vs. "Downtown." What you see above is downtown, but Greenville is in the very early stages of an incredible building boom south of downtown, along I-85. That will likely become the new Downtown, and this will become Uptown, with an already well-defined Midtown forming along I-385 .

Now if there was a way to get this angle in a wider, high resolution shot, we would have a much better representation of the true size of Greenville's downtown.

GreenvilleSkyline3.jpg

Oh cool. Go Greenville! Now if I loan you my helicopter to get that better shot of downtown you must have it back by Monday rush-hour.

P.S. You'll need an enlarging machine, engine, and all the other stuff to make it real. :silly:

GreenvilleSkyline3.jpg

I respectfully disagree, Skyliner. Downtown is clearly the area between North Street and the Reedy River. Uptown is the few blocks north of North Street (where the three tall buildings are in the left of gsupstate's first photo, separate from the currently smaller downtown skyline). The West End (historic district) is on the other side of the river from downtown, with no real skyline. And as you stated, the developing Midtown is along I-385 in the Pleasantburg and Haywood area.

Several developers have referred to the areas of uptown and midtown, so I don't think it is a stretch for us to use them as well.

I don't see how the area along I-85 will ever be our downtown, although it is certainly growing up and fast becoming a new neighborhood/area of town. The development is obviously there, but it will probably not be urban enough to ever be our downtown. Especially since a very busy interstate is immediately adjacent. I like our downtown where it is. As great as it already is, it still has so much potential!

I thought all of Greenville with the skyscrapers from Stone Avenue down to Broad St. and the area with Main Street was always called downtown. I also thought "uptown" was north of Stone Avenue. How can I-85 become downtown if it doesn't have our main street or city hall or the bi-lo center or the peace center or etc.

Actually, I think the whole area is part of downtown. To me, "The West End" is like a sub-category of "Downtown". It's sort of like a suburb in a county. Like the new ballpark is not only in "The West End", but is also in "Downtown" Greenville. I might be wrong, but I refer to the whole area down there as downtown, whether it's at Falls Park, the new ballpark, the bi-lo center, Hyatt, etc. I know other people do to. It's not a crime, so please don't get on my back about it. I see where Skyliner is getting that the ICAR, Verdae, etc. area could become downtown and the current downtown area could become uptown in the near future though. This is all just my opinion though.

It is as I said above; All of what is visible on the horizon is downtown. Yes, there are distinct districts within downtown, such as, the West End, and Northend. Uptown is what some are beginning to call all of downtown, since so much development is occuring south, along I-85.

Hopefully in twenty years, people know which one is the real downtown with the beautiful Main Street and stuff and not go to the wrong one. :lol: I can see it now, two big sets of skyscrapers; one set in the part of Greenville that already has them and another set near and around Verdae and maybe in the far future they'll join each other. Then, it wouldn't be uptown or downtown, but "G-Town" like A-Town in Atlanta. :rolleyes:

Actually, I think the whole area is part of downtown. To me, "The West End" is like a sub-category of "Downtown". It's sort of like a suburb in a county. Like the new ballpark is not only in "The West End", but is also in "Downtown" Greenville. I might be wrong, but I refer to the whole area down there as downtown, whether it's at Falls Park, the new ballpark, the bi-lo center, Hyatt, etc. I know other people do to. It's not a crime, so please don't get on my back about it. I see where Skyliner is getting that the ICAR, Verdae, etc. area could become downtown and the current downtown area could become uptown in the near future though. This is all just my opinion though.

I wasn't getting on your back, g-man. I was stating what I have understood to be the current way of thinking. Perhaps you have heard differently, and that's fine. We're still figuring things out as a city (obviously, based on the varying definitions of what to call things). So I view it all as productive discussion that we can all learn from.

I think it is slowly becoming it's own place (Bob Ellis refers to it as uptown, after all). It will take a few years for the general public to catch on, especially if there aren't any signs saying so. Good signage in the West End has certainly increased the public's awareness of that area, I think. Before, it was just "the old part of downtown." :lol:

I suppose you mean the Northend? Have you never been to The Bohemian Cafe, Horizon Records, McPherson Park, or The Handlebar? :P

Where have you heard the Northend area called Uptown before? If anything will be called Uptown, it will end be everything we all call downtown today. Our downtown is small in comparison to most large cities, so it doesn't do the City justice to break it up, except into districts under the remaining broad term "downtown."

I suppose you mean the Northend? Have you never been to The Bohemian Cafe, Horizon Records, McPherson Park, or The Handlebar? :P

Where have you heard the Northend area called Uptown before? If anything will be called Uptown, it will end be everything we all call downtown today. Our downtown is small in comparison to most large cities, so it doesn't do the City justice to break it up, except into districts under the remaining broad term "downtown."

Evidently I dreamed that uptown was the North Main area, and while I was doing so, I-85 was well on its way to becoming our new downtown. :lol:

It is as I said above; All of what is visible on the horizon is downtown. Yes, there are distinct districts within downtown, such as, the West End, and Northend. Uptown is what some are beginning to call all of downtown, since so much development is occuring south, along I-85.

I did some searching on this, and the West End is NOT a part of downtown according to the official Greenville website:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/neighborh...c_districts.asp

Two quotes from the site pertinent to this discussion:

"The West End of Greenville, located just across the Reedy River from downtown, has a long and interesting history."

"By the turn of the century, the West End was a thriving commercial district, second in importance only to Greenville's downtown."

So downtown and the West End are two seperate and distinct neighborhoods, separated by the Reedy River. Now, if someone could please tell me where uptown is, we'll be good to go. :lol:

I did some searching on this, and the West End is NOT a part of downtown according to the official Greenville website:

http://www.greatergreenville.com/neighborh...c_districts.asp

Two quotes from the site pertinent to this discussion:

"The West End of Greenville, located just across the Reedy River from downtown, has a long and interesting history."

"By the turn of the century, the West End was a thriving commercial district, second in importance only to Greenville's downtown."

So downtown and the West End are two seperate and distinct neighborhoods, separated by the Reedy River. Now, if someone could please tell me where uptown is, we'll be good to go. :lol:

Good info Greenville! :thumbsup: Thanks. I've always thought of West End as a separate area from downtown. It has a distinct character, and the river also is a natural geographical break.

Archived