New view of downtown

gs3

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The West End used to be considered Greenville's second downtown. I've personally always considered it to be a "district" of downtown... I wouldn't trust the city's website yet. They are suppose to be updating it and replacing the picture of downtown from the 90's with the Memorial Auditorium! Yet, as you can see the Memorial Auditorium is still around, haha, so I'd wait to quote the city's website. I say that only because didn't the city recently (like a couple of years ago) incorporate the West End into the Central Business District? Would you think a CBD would extend out of a downtown? IDK.

Yes, the CBD now stretches beyond the new ballpark, solidifying the fact that the West End is included in downtown.

One of the strongest pieces of evidence I have to back my case for "Northend" as opposed to "Uptown" being the area of downtown north of North Street, is the City's information signs. These include maps and color-coded downtown districts. Northend is the one to the north, and West End is the one to the southwest.

The signs I am refering to are these:

Photo by Rested Traveler.

So you guys are telling me that the city's very own website, greatergreenville.com, is incorrect to state that the West End is a distinct neighborhood that is separate from downtown? Just for grins, let's assume that the city's website has not been updated recently (and that things have somehow changed since it was). Do you really think that the recent growth occurring in the West End makes it any less its own neighborhood?!? I can't be the only person here who gets a different vibe when I walk across the Reedy River into the West End.

Evidence in favor of the West End being its own distinct neighborhood/area of town:

-the city's website clearly states that it is its own neighborhood, separate from downtown

-it has a different vibe than downtown

-it is geographically separated from downtown by a river

-another section of the city's website, where they list downtown and the West End as two separate shopping destinations: http://greatergreenville.com/visitors/shopping.asp

Does Knox White himself have to have a press conference stating that the West End is separate from downtown for some of you to agree? :confused:

I think you are misunderstanding my argument. The West End is undoubtedly its own neighborhood, with its own marketing strategy to attract shoppers and residents. However, I still consider it an individual district that is part of the overall label of "downtown." How/Why is that unreasonable?

Archived