The Definitive Nashville Mid-town Thread

MidTenn1

The Definitive Nashville Mid-Town Thread

I wish we called it something else, but to my knowledge the area west of downtown Nashville, encompassing the split (where West End Avenue splits off Broadway), Vanderbilt, Music Row, the hospital zone, Centennial Park and Hillsboro Village has always been referred to as mid-town. It has become an alternate to downtown Nashville with much more mixed-use development underway.

Let

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And BTW, where is Nevada Heights and Fort Negley?? I've taken many ladies to Love Circle but would like to expand my uhmm, warchest.

Nevada Heights is off Charlotte where you can see the modernist, boxy condos that look like they belong in Malibu. You see it from 440 as you approach I-40. But all the new construction has limited the number of places you can see the skyline from up here.

Ft. Negley is next to Greer Stadium and has a nice view from the summit where the City has finally made the remnants of the Civil War fort accessible. But beware; my car was broken into on my last visit here.

Neither place is especially great to take a date at night. It's been a long time since I have done that, I wouldn't know what to recommend.

What a great post!

I have lived within the boundaries of Midtown for 12 of the last 17 years (and the other five years were spent a stone's throw outside the boundary). I agree with your assessment-it's a near-perfect mix of retail, residential and university. So much is packed into such a small area of town. Thanks for this post!

My only gripe about midtown is with all the damn utility poles. Grrrrrr!!! I suppose at some point, the city will have a project like they did on Church Street. At least, I hope so.

i am definatly with you on that. it looks so gaudy! if only we could get underground utilities......

My only gripe about midtown is with all the damn utility poles. Grrrrrr!!! I suppose at some point, the city will have a project like they did on Church Street. At least, I hope so.

I live near the massive new Vanderbilt project on 18th Ave --the "Freshman Commons." I was told by Vanderbilt that even they balked at the expense and difficulty of putting all the utilities underground. They wanted to, but decided that it was too complicated/expensive and involved too many utility easements. Otherwise no expense is being spared on this project--so it doesn't bode well for the future of underground utilities in midtown. I wish it were otherwise because I agree with you.

I'm sure it will happen, but in stages and over many years. The main thing driving such a project is the age of the infrastructure. Like the Demonbreun viaduct, much of the roads and sidewalks and utilities in that area are way old. I have a buddy at VU's campus development and he said that the sewers in all of midtown are 80+ years old. And they were originally built for residential use. They were "expanded" in the late 70s, but it was done piecemeal. He said they will need to be completely replaced within the next 10 years. On that note, you can even smell runoff at certain parts around the campus on a hot, sultry day. On those days, it's not V-U, but Pee-eeewww instead.

I just don't understand why Purcell put sidewalks out in Antioch (literally between nowhere and noplace), while WestEnd and Church, et.al. have been bursting at the seams. Oh!!!! That's right... politics. Stupid me!

Archived