Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ncbrian

Film news for Winston Salem

9 posts in this topic

On June 30th, Winston-Salem will finally get a new film theatre: the Grand theatre, 18 screens, part of the Southern theatre chain, will open for business at the site of the old K-mart on University parkway. It will serve the population in north Forsyth and provide some competition to the nearby Carmike theatre on Reynolda Road. The big premiere for that week will be the Superman film followed by the sequel to the Pirate of the Caribbean film so the theatre will get off to a good start. Having a new theatre in town is blessing sent given the increasingly decreipt look of the local Carmike theatres. For whatever reason, the Wynnsong has been promising for over a year additional screens but all they have to show for it is a former parking lot filled with sand.

The Films on Fourth series continues this summer with a series of local premieres of "Kinky Boots" and "Brick" on the weekend of July 1st. On the weekend of July 21st, the films "Tstotsi" and "Somersault" will be exhibited. The success these sort of independent films receive in Winston only demonstrates the need for a theatre downtown dedicated to such films and may be able to much better than the North Point theatre which closed several years ago which could not find a clientile for its mix of popular and independent films.

Also, the Reynolda House in conjunction with the NCSA will have a summer film series that takes place on its front lawn. The Cinema Under the Stars program will showcase four films: "Do the Right Thing" (June 15th), "Bonnie and Clyde" (June 24th), "Ragtime" (July 1st), "Cinema Paradiso" (July 8th). Admission is $5 per person and you can bring a picnic basket if you like along with a blanket or chairs.

No movie makes me cry as much as "Cinema Paradiso"...

Oh I can't wait to see "Kinky Boots." Saw the previews and it looks like a barrel of laughs!!! I hope the Southern Theater chain will look at South Forsyth as another potential location (if I remember correctly, they were possibly going to build an additional location) as the county will still be underscreened compared to other counties in the state.

Anyone who hasn't been to the Films on Fourth needs to go, the films there are excellent movies that rarely get cinema time in this area of the country.

On June 30th, Winston-Salem will finally get a new film theatre: the Grand theatre, 18 screens, part of the Southern theatre chain, will open for business at the site of the old K-mart on University parkway. It will serve the population in north Forsyth and provide some competition to the nearby Carmike theatre on Reynolda Road. The big premiere for that week will be the Superman film followed by the sequel to the Pirate of the Caribbean film so the theatre will get off to a good start. Having a new theatre in town is blessing sent given the increasingly decreipt look of the local Carmike theatres. For whatever reason, the Wynnsong has been promising for over a year additional screens but all they have to show for it is a former parking lot filled with sand.

call me crazy, but i don't think they are going to be open for business in 2 weeks. it looks like they have a lot of work yet to do. it will be a nice addition when it finally does open though.

(still would like to see an IMAX open downtown sometime in the future, someone should rekindle that idea)

Anyone who hasn't been to the Films on Fourth needs to go, the films there are excellent movies that rarely get cinema time in this area of the country.

Does Winston not have any screens or theatres dedicated to independent or art house film?

Does Winston not have any screens or theatres dedicated to independent or art house film?

Not currently which is why the Stevens Center and other art showcase places here in Winston show these films.

When Krispy Kreme, before its financial collapse, was planning to build a downtown office park, one of the buildings was to be multi-screen theatre which with the guidance of the North Carolina School of the Arts, would have been showing the independent, foreign and art films that does have a market here locally as usually shown by the near sell out crowds to these screenings. The theatre complex also would have had a IMAX screen as well for documentries and standard Hollywood releases. But none of this came to pass and what was to be Unity Place is now West End Village, a collection of condos and townhouses currently under construction and doing quite well on their pre-sales.

Wow, I'm really actually amazed. The Triangle and Charlotte are served by multiple indie theatres and even Asheville and Wilmington have indie theatres yet there really is nothing for the entire Triad. That's actually crazy if you ask me. It can only be a matter of time.

Wow, I'm really actually amazed. The Triangle and Charlotte are served by multiple indie theatres and even Asheville and Wilmington have indie theatres yet there really is nothing for the entire Triad. That's actually crazy if you ask me. It can only be a matter of time.

I agree. Especially considering the fact that the NC School of the Arts has a film school. The Films on Fourth series at the Steven's Center is great, but it would be that much better if there was a dedicated indie/foreign movie house downtown. Perhaps that could be a program to be housed in the Bailey Power Plant...

What I really would like to see is a theatre on Fourth St near the Steven's Center and within the defined restaurant row. Imagine if you will, people leaving the theatres around 9pm through 11pm and making their way to late night dinners or hanging out at a bar or coffee shop.

The theatre itself would have four screens with a seating capacity of 100-150 people each with maybe one screen having a bit more seating capacity for more popular films. With a late afternoon showing along with evening showings, you could potentially have 1000-1600 people on the weekend nights in the downtown area.

But I am not finished yet.

The Little Theatre is looking for a new home preferably downtown. They were envisioned at one point of using Unity Place as a possible venue. Still, a small theatre with a smaller seating capacity and much simpler presentation requirements than the Stevens Center could be quite doable.

So there you have it: an independent film theatre along with a performing arts theatre for shows that the Steven's Center can not economically put on and the Steven's center itself and you have the start of the theatre district which in company with the restaurants on Fourth St should drive the nightlife downtown to new heights.