Has driving in the South become too dangerous?

Rwarky

Has driving in the South become too dangerous?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Do feel that driving in many Southern cities have become unsafe?

• Yes
    • No

In the past several years, I've noticed that many drivers in the South have become reckless, careless, and completely unsafe. Do you feel that Southern driving habits have changed for the worst? What type of things irritate, or even frighten you concerning people's bad driving habits and skills?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no overall, but I'd have to say yes and no.

Driving all around the nation can be dangerous. I drive fast and in a manner that some would consider reckless, but to me it's just getting from Point 'A' to Point 'B'. I drive 10-20 miles per hour over the posted limit in most cases, because the speed limit usually feels too slow. I switch lanes rapidly and often, and even act like I'm going to clip the bumpers of the morons who insist on driving slow in the fast lane. I use hand signals (the offensive kind) and ride bumpers, but when I have somewhere to be I want to get there as fast as I can. Too many people drive like they don't have anywhere to be, and to be honest these slow drivers can be just as dangerous as the fast drivers. Driving slower isn't necessarily safer.

I would say yes mainly because there is a lack of driving education amongst drivers, there are a huge number of illegal aliens that don't even have drivers licenses, roads in many states are not up to par, there is too much reliance on the automobile in the South, a number of Southern states have eliminated vehicle inspections, and finally people don't respect each other as much anymore which leads to such things as road rage. I never even heard this term say prior to the 1980s.

In addition, in 2004 the 10 metros that were most dangeous to Pedestrians are all in the South, (except for Phoenix)

ranked by most dangerous to least dangerous

1. Orlando 243.6

2. Tampa 215.3

3. Miami - Ft. Lauderdale 209.3

4. Memphis 159.1

5. Atlanta 144.4

6. Greensboro-Winston Salem 122.5

7. Houston-Galveston 121.9

8. Jacksonville 120.7

9. Phoenix-Mesa 117.2

I think that is a pretty damning indictment of Southern cities.

I would say yes mainly because there is a lack of driving education amongst drivers, there are a huge number of illegal aliens that don't even have drivers licenses, roads in many states are not up to par, there is too much reliance on the automobile in the South, a number of Southern states have eliminated vehicle inspections, and finally people don't respect each other as much anymore which leads to such things as road rage. I never even heard this term say prior to the 1980s.

In addition, in 2004 the 10 metros that were most dangeous to Pedestrians are all in the South, (except for Phoenix)

ranked by most dangerous to least dangerous

1. Orlando 243.6

2. Tampa 215.3

3. Miami - Ft. Lauderdale 209.3

4. Memphis 159.1

5. Atlanta 144.4

6. Greensboro-Winston Salem 122.5

7. Houston-Galveston 121.9

8. Jacksonville 120.7

9. Phoenix-Mesa 117.2

I think that is a pretty damning indictment of Southern cities.

Geez. I never would have imagined all those southern cities on that list. There are many cities in the north where dependence on cars is high as well, but they aren't in that top 10. Even cities like New York and Chicago, while not heavily dependant on cars, still have a huge amount of automobile traffic on the city streets so I'd have expected to see them on that list.

I dont know where i heard this study but a few years ago, Florida was ranked dead last in pedestrian safety.

Now that's a scary thought. I'd honestly think my area would rank pretty low as well, because it's evident when walking in heavily-traveled areas around here that pedestrians' rights aren't very well respected.

Personally it seems like no matter how fast I am going, even if it's over the speed limit, there is someone that comes up behind me faster than I am driving. Sometimes they back off, and sometimes they tailgate. Either way, I think that a lot of people (myself included) drive too fast and should back off the accelerator so that driving doesn't have to be so much of a chore.

I dont know where i heard this study but a few years ago, Florida was ranked dead last in pedestrian safety.

I believe it. People from Florida always seem to drive like they left the stove on back home and they are trying to get back home to turn it off before the house burns down.

Driving is dangerous anywhere you go, I didn't vote at all cause this thread makes no sense? Who says that Southerners are more dangerous than Westerners? Cities, towns, countryside its all a driving hazard. This is a ridiculous thread. :mellow:

However, one of the things you must take into consideration is that Western cities are more likely than Southern cities to implement an efficient regional public transit system. Most Southerners are so anti-mass transit that it is shameful. And we wonder why Global Warming is becoming a major problem.

Archived