Fort Norfolk development

New England Transplant

I received this email today:

Interested persons, we need you now! We need 30 phone calls and emails immediately! Please! Please email or phone the mayor immediately to humbly request a 90 day stay of demolition on the old Cotton exchange warehouses located on the waterfront at what is known as Norfolk's Atlantic City. There are one row of these buildings left and they are completely salvageable! Amy Casteleberry's plan, and the majority of residents of closeby Harbor's Edge are very interested in our idea of creating shops and tourist destination to spotlight Norfolk's very unique history. The ambience of historic building re-usuable space which remembers Norfolk's cotton trade. We are quickly losing the remaining bits of Norfolk which makes this city so special. We have been inundated with requests to repeat our Historic Ghost Tours of Freemason District from the Jamestown 2007 activities; this speaks volumes about the citizens desire to retain its historic connections! Can you imagine the tourist dollars generated in years to come if we create an attractive destination similar to the ambience along the wharf in Key West, FL, Amelia Island, Charleston and other cities rich in tourist trade?! We have a well thought out plan, we just need 90 days to put together the money to buy this private property from Mr. McKlusky and turn it into something beautiful, NOT AN EVMS car park, which is what the plan is now!!

Write or phone the mayor now to politely voice your interest in preserving Norfolk's history.

664-4670 [email protected]

or

227-5900 pdfraim@f&f-legal.com

Most sincerely, from

Dr. Guy and Lisa Trengove-Jones and a large group of preservationists.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Received this email today in response to my message to the mayor:

Dear Mr. Goss:

Thank you for your email expressing concern over the demolition of the cotton warehouses located in the Fort Norfolk section of the city on property owned by Mr. Wayne McLeskey, and requesting that the city intervene. Mayor Fraim has asked that I respond on his behalf.

The mayor first wants you and other interested citizens to know that the City of Norfolk did not initiate this demolition. The decision to take down the structures was solely that of Mr. McLeskey

• 2 weeks later...

I just walked out to where all the demolition is happening. Hopped behind the fence to explore things and ran into a couple of workers (oops). Anyway, after they finished telling me I have to get off the property, they confirmed that they are indeed going to turn it into a parking lot!!! I couldn't believe it. I was sure that that was just some hyperbole from the historical society, but it turns out they were right. The guy said there were was going to be 200+ parking spaces for medical students. He indicated that it is just temporary until prices go back up. At that point, the owner will sell it.

There was also another person there gathering bricks. She indicated that she had heard that there was interest, but that the owner wanted over 30 million for the property.

I'm pretty bummed that it is going to be a parking lot. I know it is just temporary, but I wish there was enough demand that it could be built up into a cool mixed use area. Perhaps that will happen when the next cycle occurs - 5-10 years out.

I just walked out to where all the demolition is happening. Hopped behind the fence to explore things and ran into a couple of workers (oops). Anyway, after they finished telling me I have to get off the property, they confirmed that they are indeed going to turn it into a parking lot!!! I couldn't believe it. I was sure that that was just some hyperbole from the historical society, but it turns out they were right. The guy said there were was going to be 200+ parking spaces for medical students. He indicated that it is just temporary until prices go back up. At that point, the owner will sell it.

There was also another person there gathering bricks. She indicated that she had heard that there was interest, but that the owner wanted over 30 million for the property.

I'm pretty bummed that it is going to be a parking lot. I know it is just temporary, but I wish there was enough demand that it could be built up into a cool mixed use area. Perhaps that will happen when the next cycle occurs - 5-10 years out.

Just a hopeful guess, but maybe... maybe this planned parking lot will compensate for the loss of another parking lot closer to the intersection of Brambleton and Colley in the near future, as construction of a new building (medical / office / retail/ Light Rail terminus) may consume it.

Isn't Wright just trying to sell that building??? I was under the impression that he had bought it a while ago and the city council had put a hold on them doing anything with it until they had a master plan in place. Since that time, the market has slowed. Now, there is a big for sale sign on it, so I'm assuming that the development in that rendering won't actually get built.

Isn't Wright just trying to sell that building??? I was under the impression that he had bought it a while ago and the city council had put a hold on them doing anything with it until they had a master plan in place. Since that time, the market has slowed. Now, there is a big for sale sign on it, so I'm assuming that the development in that rendering won't actually get built.

• 5 months later...

Looks like the proposed parking lot is under construction on the site of the warehouse that was torn down. The area is graded and part of a sidewalk is installed. There is a flatbead truck full of precast concrete curbing for the lot. What a waste of waterfront property.

Looks like the proposed parking lot is under construction on the site of the warehouse that was torn down. The area is graded and part of a sidewalk is installed. There is a flatbead truck full of precast concrete curbing for the lot. What a waste of waterfront property.

• 1 year later...

Dead thead, ressurection (sp.?)

I never realized how under-utilized the entire Fort Norfolk neighborhood is.

I'mm so shocked that this area isn't a densely developed, vibrant, waterfront extension of downtown! Look here: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=q4857q8n7bp5&scene=33605936&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=23510%2C%20VA

There are acres upon acres of undeveloped waterfront land and small warehouses.

Can't you all visualize a dense community with marinas and ferry stops adjacent to the transit line? What got me thnking is seeeing the Harbors Edge retirement high rise sitting over there by itself. Plus the Krisp-Pak conversio to apartments and the US Develoment people converting the abandoned warehouse.

I see 15-20 floor condo towers with ground floor retail and outoor waterfront cafes with an urban park and tennis courts, etc.!

Do any of you see what I'm sayin'?

I'mm so shocked that this area isn't a densely developed, vibrant, waterfront extension of downtown! Look here: http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=q4857q8n7bp5&scene=33605936&lvl=1&sty=b&where1=23510%2C%20VA

Can't you all visualize a dense community with marinas and ferry stops adjacent to the transit line? What got me thnking is seeeing the Harbors Edge retirement high rise sitting over there by itself. Plus the Krisp-Pak conversio to apartments and the US Develoment people converting the abandoned warehouse.

I see 15-20 floor condo towers with ground floor retail and outoor waterfront cafes with an urban park and tennis courts, etc.!

I'mm so shocked that this area isn't a densely developed, vibrant, waterfront extension of downtown! Look here: http://www.bing.com/...1=23510%2C%20VA

I'mm so shocked that this area isn't a densely developed, vibrant, waterfront extension of downtown! Look here: http://www.bing.com/...1=23510%2C%20VA

• 1 month later...

Archived