Blues on the Mall

Beavis

Blues on the Mall starts this week!!! I never miss it. We are so fortunate to have this in GR. I've lived in other cities where similar shows were done but I think the caliber of performers we get in and the community spirit in GR is second to none. We UP people should figure out a way to identify ourselves.

I'm short, somewhat blonde with kind of punky hair. I'll be wearing a teal blue hippy top with lace ribbons flowing off it (figured wearing blue would be appropriate for the first night of blues). Hope to run into some of you guys there!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues on the Mall starts this week!!! I never miss it. We are so fortunate to have this in GR. I've lived in other cities where similar shows were done but I think the caliber of performers we get in and the community spirit in GR is second to none. We UP people should figure out a way to identify ourselves.

I'm short, somewhat blonde with kind of a punky cut. I'll be wearing a teal blue hippy top with lace ribbons flowing off it (figured wearing blue would be appropriate for the first night of blues). Hope to run into some of you guys there!

I never miss it either, I'll be the tall dutch-looking guy that eerily resembles George Clooney.

There are few events that are more fun than Blues on the Mall. BE THERE!

Also, Tuesday night is the beginning of the Rouge River blues series in Rockford. Local band Tailshaker is playing and you will not be disappointed.

Finally, tickets may be gone, but Koko Taylor is playing a the Meijer Gardens Thursday night.

A great week for blues music in GR.

149241021_cab0e71311_b.jpg

And don't forget the 400 motorcycles that cram into the BOB parking lot. Tons of fun things to look at.

I'm a people watcher as well as a blues lover. Blues on the Mall is a mix of bikers, business people, hotel guests, families, street people, punkers, tourists, teenagers, elderly, rich, poor, etc., etc., etc. You'd have to spend a few hours at O'Hare Airport to have as much fun watching as many different kinds of people. The best part is that they have all come together to enjoy the same event.

Cool - you shouldn't be too hard to spot - I grew up in a predominantly Dutch community back when Byron Center was working farms.

I grew up in one of those predominately Dutch communities too, Grand Rapids. I remember working farms North of 28th street off of Burlingame Ave. in Wyoming. Heck, I remember 44th street as a dirt road.

I grew up in one of those predominately Dutch communities too, Grand Rapids. I remember working farms North of 28th street off of Burlingame Ave. in Wyoming. Heck, I remember 44th street as a dirt road.
Berend's muck farms? Did you hang out at the Pitrick Acid plant ruins where Palmer Park is now?

Berend's muck farms? Did you hang out at the Pitrick Acid plant ruins where Palmer Park is now?

I know there were muck farms on Burlingame and I vaguely remember the Acid Plant at Palmer.

Hang out? No. Drove past, Yes.

How about the Beltline Drive-in with the big cartoon characters alongside the screen and the miniature golf and trampolines located on the North side of the screen?

I'm a people watcher as well as a blues lover. Blues on the Mall is a mix of bikers, business people, hotel guests, families, street people, punkers, tourists, teenagers, elderly, rich, poor, etc., etc., etc. You'd have to spend a few hours at O'Hare Airport to have as much fun watching as many different kinds of people. The best part is that they have all come together to enjoy the same event.

I love what I call the "freak show' that goes East up Monroe from Rosa Parks circle. The kids with metal stuck in every part of their body, girls leading girls with dog collars and punk-wannabes all trying to be unique.

I love what I call the "freak show' that goes East up Monroe from Rosa Parks circle. The kids with metal stuck in every part of their body, girls leading girls with dog collars and punk-wannabes all trying to be unique.

And the kids attired all in black, despite the weather. Long dusters atop full leather. Hair colors and styles in every imaginable color and shape.

Last year there was an impromtu classic bicycle show, with local owners of vintage bikes bringing them down for bragging rights. Usually on the street in front of Four Friends or whatever is next door.

My favorite restaurant needed someone to hawk cold drinks out front, so that's where I'll be, seated by the livestock trough. Probably attired in a variation of the Olive palm motif. Red bike parked inside. Sam's A/C works really well, so come check that out if the pavement is too hot.

I also love the punk-wannabes - I was a hardcore biker before getting sober many moons ago. The funny thing was, like the punks, they all start out wanting to be individuals a la James Dean but soon end up wearing the same "uniform" and doing the same things over and over again. If they happen to join a club especially one which leans more toward the outlaw side of things, they have to fall in line with the club rules and regulations shaped by the club "officers" so even more individuality is lost. There's nothing I love better than to show up at a biker event wearing one of my bright, fluttery, hippy tops - it really freaks some of them out until I start speaking in their language and they realize I'm often more hardcore than they are - just sober and not compelled to fall in line with the "dress code". When it really hit me that getting sober would be a good idea was when I came back from 2 years in Tulsa, Ok and found my buddies in the same bar, same barstools, talking about the same crap they were when I left - it was like I never left - so boring I almost fell into a coma.

That's how you know that you have something good going. But a blues man I knew once said in order to truly appreciate blues you have to live it.

Back in the early 70s my dad did hard labor for their muck far... I used to laugh about it until my granpa put me to work when I was smartass lad... One of the perks of having a farmer grandfather.

I also love the punk-wannabes - I was a hardcore biker before getting sober many moons ago. The funny thing was, like the punks, they all start out wanting to be individuals a la James Dean but soon end up wearing the same "uniform" and doing the same things over and over again. If they happen to join a club especially one which leans more toward the outlaw side of things, they have to fall in line with the club rules and regulations shaped by the club "officers" so even more individuality is lost. There's nothing I love better than to show up at a biker event wearing one of my bright, fluttery, hippy tops - it really freaks some of them out until I start speaking in their language and they realize I'm often more hardcore than they are - just sober and not compelled to fall in line with the "dress code". When it really hit me that getting sober would be a good idea was when I came back from 2 years in Tulsa, Ok and found my buddies in the same bar, same barstools, talking about the same crap they were when I left - it was like I never left - so boring I almost fell into a coma.

Beavis,

OK, I have to ask, are you male or female? :D

I'm with you on thinking a lot of these "non-conformists" are really "conforming" to just a different set of rules. The real non-conformist is someone who looks like they robbed the costume shop at the Civic Theatre. I can respect that!

There are few events that are more fun than Blues on the Mall. BE THERE!

Also, Tuesday night is the beginning of the Rouge River blues series in Rockford. Local band Tailshaker is playing and you will not be disappointed.

I'll be there. Slightly graying, hip mom dancing in the aisles. :D

I will forever be jealous of BOTM. Many years ago, I put on a free "concert" down at the Monroe amphitheater. It was a free event, paid out of my pocket, and played by a host of GR's then best, brightest and budding DJs. We had a wide variety musical stlyes, hip-hop, jungle, techno, house, etc.

The city were real jerks about the sound levels and sent staffers down to the amphitheater with a decibal meter to measure the sound.

Everytime I go see BOTM, and I hear the music as loud as it gets, I get a bit peeved....then I get a hot dog.

Is it multiple days? If so I might go Wednesday night.

It's only on Wednesdays, starting this week and going for what, 6 weeks? Someone with more speed can post the schedule.

Last year they threw in some country evenings as well. Smaller crowd, but better music IMHO.

The best night was when the small children of this one aging rocker got up for a set. Little blond pre-teens singing "Highway to Hell." Hysterical!

Beavis,

OK, I have to ask, are you male or female? :D

I'm with you on thinking a lot of these "non-conformists" are really "conforming" to just a different set of rules. The real non-conformist is someone who looks like they robbed the costume shop at the Civic Theatre. I can respect that!

I have to laugh - yes, I am female and straight. The majority of my long-time close friends are men - I'm not very "girly" but have recently discovered I do like some of their clothes. Was initially drawn to the biker lifestyle because it seemed to offer a freedom not found in conventional society and, to a great extent, it does. However, they do just end up with different rules. I am also quite a gearhead, motorcycles, classic cars... loved the classic bicycles downtown last year - I had a really cool retro bike until some punk stole it when I had it locked up by Yesterdog last year. It's probably sitting at some crack dealers house. I ended up buying a replacement bike at the pawn shop so I'm not out much if it gets lifted again.

As an aside, I've noticed quite a few muck farm comments in this thread. I spent several summers working in the muck fields around Byron Center. Best thing that ever happened to me - it was the reason I became determined to go to college so I wouldn't end up like the old ladies who worked there.

The Rouge River Blues started tonight with a great local band called Tailshaker.

The stage is set up between Arnie's restaurant and the river (along the White Pine Trail).

Every tuesday night for a number of weeks. Bring your lawn chairs.

166787759_2bcae0abf8_o.jpg

166787762_ff98ca67ea.jpg

166787764_dee37b6946.jpg

It was even fun if you didn't like blues.

166787767_a305e5ea80.jpg

Archived