Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M II A II R II K

Rendering for Honolulu's CBD waterfront

An artist's rendering of an active promenade and redeveloped waterfront where Nimitz Highway traffic currently flows through downtown. View looks Diamond Head towards Aloha Tower.

c301_big.jpg

This is what it looks like currently.....

c303.JPG

What do you think? It's been on the drawing boards for a while, but it would be nice if something like it took shape IMO. I know there is a project that has been approved to add a couple of condos, a hotel, and light rail on one side of downtown near the waterfront, its currently being designed by UC Dallas, but it would be nice if later someone implemented the waterfont idea too!

:D

^I'm still waiting for something to happen there i think if the city had more money or a huge investor it would happen no doubt however there are other things going on in the area right now like the new open fish market/auction thing being built similar to like Pikes in Seattle...the new ferry terminal...and proposals for waterfront lofts about 550 units plus over 50,000 sq ft of retail space including light rail...hope it gets built! :P

That would be an awesome improvement to the area. Hopefully someone will be able to pull the finances together to build it.

I hope so i think one of the biggest obsticals other than the financial part is finding a way to re-route traffic but i know they could do that thru sand island as was once proposed again its all about money :(

I don't get it- is the freeway going to be buried in a tunnel or removed?

I was under the impression that they were just going to reroute the traffic on that road elsewhere and then redevelop the land that the road currently takes up.

Wendell FOX, well they were thinking about re-routing traffic to a little island in Honolulu Harbor and make a build a tunnel under the harbor and back up outside of downtown. But i doubt it will happen any time soon that calls for some big bills

I certainly would vote for getting rid of that development in the photo and replacing it with the rendering.

Yeah, if cost was not an issue I think just about everyone would agree. Unfortunately money is always an issue, and projects like this are no exception.

^I know if i had Bill Gates kind of money id be doing some amazing things for this city haha :P

Yeah, if I had Bill Gates' money, a lot of cities would be getting some new skyscrapers. B)