Rendering for Honolulu's CBD waterfront

An artist's rendering of an active promenade and redeveloped waterfront where Nimitz Highway traffic currently flows through downtown. View looks Diamond Head towards Aloha Tower.

c301_big.jpg

This is what it looks like currently.....

c303.JPG

What do you think? It's been on the drawing boards for a while, but it would be nice if something like it took shape IMO. I know there is a project that has been approved to add a couple of condos, a hotel, and light rail on one side of downtown near the waterfront, its currently being designed by UC Dallas, but it would be nice if later someone implemented the waterfont idea too!

:D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I'm still waiting for something to happen there i think if the city had more money or a huge investor it would happen no doubt however there are other things going on in the area right now like the new open fish market/auction thing being built similar to like Pikes in Seattle...the new ferry terminal...and proposals for waterfront lofts about 550 units plus over 50,000 sq ft of retail space including light rail...hope it gets built! :P

I don't get it- is the freeway going to be buried in a tunnel or removed?

I was under the impression that they were just going to reroute the traffic on that road elsewhere and then redevelop the land that the road currently takes up.

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly would vote for getting rid of that development in the photo and replacing it with the rendering.

Yeah, if cost was not an issue I think just about everyone would agree. Unfortunately money is always an issue, and projects like this are no exception.

Archived