Brookby

twoshort

I know of a very large fundraiser the GR Symphony did back in about '93. In fact, they really gave the home a "makeover" with a different design company doing a different room, and then published all the info into a small pamphlet. This little pamphlet included drawings of each room, but not actual photographs.

Yes, there are photo's out there, as I mentioned before, in GRM for example. But you won't find a collection of photographs in any one public place, at least none I have found yet. Let me know if anyone does find anything. I am sure though that there are probably numerous photographs out there from people who have taken them at parties and such.

I would love to find pictures of any events that took place during the time of John Sr. That would be fascinating.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know of a very large fundraiser the GR Symphony did back in about '93. In fact, they really gave the home a "makeover" with a different design company doing a different room, and then published all the info into a small pamphlet. This little pamphlet included drawings of each room, but not actual photographs.

Yes, there are photo's out there, as I mentioned before, in GRM for example. But you won't find a collection of photographs in any one public place, at least none I have found yet. Let me know if anyone does find anything. I am sure though that there are probably numerous photographs out there from people who have taken them at parties and such.

I would love to find pictures of any events that took place during the time of John Sr. That would be fascinating. [/quote

Have you talked directly with Sam? If there is anything out there he would know about it.

aal.jpg

That's the closest I've ever gotten... :)

http://www.aquinas.edu/alumni/index.php?se...=view_album.php

• 4 months later...

So the wall surounding parts of Brookby is coming down. At least some of the wall on the north side of Robinson is coming down. For being built in 1926, it stood the test of time, but apparently not tree roots. If you head down Robinson there is a large pile of bricks stacked up on the lawn. I spoke with the workers, apparently a wall will be rebuilt that is much shorter with a fence on top. Not too sure how different it will look. We'll see I guess.

Coincidentally, I had just picked up this project last week again for the first time in 6 or 7 months - too busy. I hope to finish before I begin my Masters project, which will use a portion of this project. I'll see if I can post some old archived images on here once I finish.

Very interesting stories about Brookby. There was a strong connection between the Blodgetts and the GR Symphony for years. Edith Blodgett, John Blodgett Jr.'s wife, was for years the grand dame of the Symphony board, and had the reputation of being able to hire and fire managers at will. The threat was always there that the Symphony would not get Jr.'s money when he died if there was defiance of Mrs. Blodgett's wishes.

Two things happened, however, to break this hold. First, the Amway billions made the DeVos family larger benefactors than the Blodgetts (new money here trumping "old" money). Second, Jr. gave his millions to his alma mater, Harvard University, for the construction of the lavish Blodgett Pool. (My wife, an alumna, reports that it is spectacular).

The Blodgetts were generous to the Symphony, however, at the end and there is a Blodgett rehearsal hall in the DeVos Symphony Hall.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of places around here on the National Register of Historic Places, I'm sure there's some Aquinas alumns and other folks who've been to events and parties at the residence. Does anyone have any good pictures of the house or grounds? I've been curious as to what lies beyond the gates (besides Sam Cummings' robe and slippers)...

So the wall surounding parts of Brookby is coming down. At least some of the wall on the north side of Robinson is coming down. For being built in 1926, it stood the test of time, but apparently not tree roots. If you head down Robinson there is a large pile of bricks stacked up on the lawn. I spoke with the workers, apparently a wall will be rebuilt that is much shorter with a fence on top. Not too sure how different it will look. We'll see I guess.

Coincidentally, I had just picked up this project last week again for the first time in 6 or 7 months - too busy. I hope to finish before I begin my Masters project, which will use a portion of this project. I'll see if I can post some old archived images on here once I finish.

Archived