Greenville in Google Earth

Beowulf

Google has just released a new version of it's popular Google Earth software. Along with this new version of the software, Google is also releasing now map and satellite data.

Most of downtown Greenville is still in low-resolution, but now the West End is in high res, along with the Eastside and areas surrounding GSP.

In the image below, you can see that the sat photos are a bit out of date, as the baseball stadium is still under construction. Nonetheless, it's better than it was. On the right side you can see where the image goes to low resolution.

166094813_17b5fb5209_o.jpg

Google Earth is available for free at http://earth.google.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google has just released a new version of it's popular Google Earth software. Along with this new version of the software, Google is also releasing now map and satellite data.

Most of downtown Greenville is still in low-resolution, but now the West End is in high res, along with the Eastside and areas surrounding GSP.

In the image below, you can see that the sat photos are a bit out of date, as the baseball stadium is still under construction. Nonetheless, it's better than it was. On the right side you can see where the image goes to low resolution.

166094813_17b5fb5209_o.jpg

Google Earth is available for free at http://earth.google.com

I've been mapping an upcoming trip to China on Google Earth the past few days. They have some serious issues with maps when it comes to China. I've been disappointed with the Greenville imaging -- it's as if we're an airbase outside Xi'an or on a Greek Island and the data can't be released. They need to find some other vendor for Greenville satellite images. But I'll check it out. Sometimes we need to be reminded that there are treasures to be found right in your own backyard and I think you've just given me that reminder...vis-a-vis Google Earth. Thanks! Time to poke around the backyard....

I don't get why large sections of subdivisions, shopping centers and small farms on the eastern side of Greenville County are high res. on Google Earth and not Downtown. Seems if you were starting to fill in an area, the downtown areas would be first.

Actually, that area is in hi-res not because of subdivisions and shopping centers, but because it includes GSP. There is apparently a minimum are that the hi-res sections contain, so it just happens to include a good portion of the Eastside and Greer.

If you look at the new hi-res section in GE, you will notice that it's a long rectangle running north-south. This is because the satellites are in polar orbit, and therefore that's how the images are made available to Google.

I agree about the accuracy of the maps. I certainly wouldn't plan a detailed trip to China with it. Heck, it still shows Camperdown Way as being continuous across the Reedy. However, from a teacher's standpoint, this thing is phenomenal. Earth browsing just scratches the surface (so to speak). It's a powerful teacher and resource tool because of it's ability to link to web resources.

Archived