Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

memphis born

Forest Hill Irene to get new Mall

12 posts in this topic

I remember reading a article about a new mall being built at FHI. I remember the article talking about it being a regional destination with a hotel and upscales stores not currently in the region Marshalls fields Nordstram, Neiman Marcus etc. Does any one else remember this ? If so please post the link. <_<

I remember reading a article about a new mall being built at FHI. I remember the article talking about it being a regional destination with a hotel and upscales stores not currently in the region Marshalls fields Nordstram, Neiman Marcus etc. Does any one else remember this ? If so please post the link. <_<

Cancell that request found two linkshttp://www.highbeam.com/library/doc0.asp?

Also saw a article about it in todays daily news, looks like there may be trouble with the condos elkington proposed. The development group working with performa is Landmark Properties out of Chicago.

While it's not actually in Germantown, I hope the developers attempt to make it trump the Collierville mall by giving it a Germantown feel...I would love to see Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, and Saks as anchors...where is the lake someone mentioned earlier? Is it big enough where the pier would be more like a boardwalk with venues on it? Or is it just going to be a man-made lake? I do know that the area in question right now is getting a neighborhood (the Vinings) where homes/homesites are starting at $450,000. I could see this being more along the lines of competition to Saddle Creek...I always felt Carriage Crossing was kinda beneath Saddle Creek. As for the hotel...I hope for a Hyatt or an Omni. I think anything else is too out of our league.

While Father's Day shopping today, I drove around that area on my way to Carriage Crossing...the mall would definitely be in the right place for high-end retail/hotel. With FedEx/ServiceMaster/a slew of other offices popping up with regional offices in the area, the hotel will be full. While I was coming down Forest Hill, the numerous mansions/McMansions made me feel confidant that the retail will be fed quite nicely by the wealthy homeowners of the surrounding areas. Let's hope this development happens!

I have read the plans, but remain skeptical. Remember, this is just down the road from the current boom area of Nonconnah, er Bill Morris Parkway aka Hwy. 385 / Winchester / Hacks Cross. That area replaced the earlier boom area of Nonc-Billy-385 / Winchester / Riverdale, which in turn had replaced the Hickory Ridge Mall area. In fact, it appears the relatively new Best Buy at Winchester/Riverdale is moving next to the new Target a few miles east. All that is happening is the development and eventually the problems associated with it are moving east and the expendable development of the past gets left behind and the blight increases.

However, not to sound totally like your typical Commercial Appeal-esque negative-vibe Memphian, it MIGHT work IF the stores and hotels are totally different from what already exists in the market. If stores such as Neiman-Marcus, Saks, Storehouse, Crate & Barrel, Design Within Reach, etc, come to the area, then the trend of rehashing current development might ease slightly.

Still, I'd prefer these developments be located closer to the urban core of Memphis.

True...I'd much rather see it go somewhere in the Poplar vicinity...what exactly is planned for the Poplar/240 development? I've heard a Cheesecake Factory and SuperTarget mentioned but not much else...could this go there?

True...I'd much rather see it go somewhere in the Poplar vicinity...what exactly is planned for the Poplar/240 development? I've heard a Cheesecake Factory and SuperTarget mentioned but not much else...could this go there?

The development you are talking about is a long way off and definitely not a sure thing. The proposed supertarget and cheesecake factory would sit on land that's now occupied by the Ridgeway Trace apts, just east of poplar/240 interchange. I don't know how many units are there but the property is 26 acres. A Target would be nice there as would an extention of sweetbriar/ridgeway loop to park avenue, which I think is also proposed.

Just west of the poplar/240 area construction is about to start on the Poplar Pointe retail center and the new headquarters for Triumph Bank. It used to be the Ridgeway Inn until they tore it down a year ago... triumph bank/poplar pointe

The development you are talking about is a long way off and definitely not a sure thing. The proposed supertarget and cheesecake factory would sit on land that's now occupied by the Ridgeway Trace apts, just east of poplar/240 interchange. I don't know how many units are there but the property is 26 acres. A Target would be nice there as would an extention of sweetbriar/ridgeway loop to park avenue, which I think is also proposed.

Just west of the poplar/240 area construction is about to start on the Poplar Pointe retail center and the new headquarters for Triumph Bank. It used to be the Ridgeway Inn until they tore it down a year ago... triumph bank/poplar pointe

A) I hope they tear down those apartments...some are okay, but it doesn't fit with the way Poplar is going glam these days.

B) On a totally different note, I miss the Ridgeway Inn and that Cafe Expresso...SO NICE!!!!

On the way to Collierville today, I noticed there is a sign on the property now that is announcing a public forum on "future high-end retail, hotel development on the property" coming up...didn't catch where or when, though.

B) On a totally different note, I miss the Ridgeway Inn and that Cafe Expresso...SO NICE!!!!

I am with you on that one. What a loss (Cafe Espresso, not the hotel)