Charlotte in the top ten for smartest cities!

voyager12

Seattle was number one in the largest amount of residents holding Bachelors Degrees at 47%. San Francisco and Austin are the runners-up in the Bizjournals.com study, which ranks the relative brainpower of 53 large communities.

Rounding out the top 10 are Colorado Springs, Minneapolis, Charlotte, :yahoo: San Diego, Washington, Portland, Ore., and Albuquerque.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bizjournal's words of praise regarding Charlotte including nice digs at our competiton :lol: "Charlotte easily outrates more prominent Southern cities like Atlanta, Dallas and Miami in terms of brainpower. Its emergence as the Southeast's financial center has attracted a well-schooled workforce, with nearly 37 percent of the city's adults holding bachelor's degrees".

Percentage of city adults who stopped at each level:

Earned a graduate and/or professional degree: 10.5%

Earned a bachelor's degree: 26.0%

Earned an associate degree: 6.4%

Went to college, but didn't earn a degree: 22.1%

Graduated from high school: 20.0%

Dropped out of high school: 15.1%

And they did not add NC after "Charlotte" WOOHOO! We are moving up in the world.

That's really excellent and bodes well for Charlotte's future. Now with that in our laurels, let's focus on making NC into one of the top-10 most-educated states. With all that Charlotte has accomplished, let's spread the great news and achievement throughout North Carolina! We can do it!

Calm down folks, we all know that engineers, scientist, techies are smarter than bankers, accountants and what not! Just try to tell an engineer otherwise (you'll be arguing all day).....come on, aren't that giving away BA's in basket weaving?

I'm not offended, congrats to Charlotte....you've bought everything else, might as well buy a riverfront.

As an engineer, I'm not convinced, I need to verify their methodology and research data...if only I had the time :) No offense, but Albuquerque?????...wow.....

Time to delurk. If you look at the Medium-sized brain centers, you'll see that Raleigh came in 6th with 44.8% having a Bachelors degree or better and Durham down the road in 9th at 41.7%.

For Small brain centers, Cary came in 7th with a 60.7% showing.

Out of 30 cities, North Carolina had four. Not a bad showing for our fair state in my humble opinion. Only California has more cities on the lists than we do for a total of seven.

Oh, hi UrbanPlanet.

I think NC has a real advantage over some of the other "brain centers" in that both Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham are "family friendly" with low-cost housing, lots of young couples, etc. I haven't lived in metro Boston as a working adult but was there for school and would think that places like that and metro San Francisco and other larger cities are less family-friendly. Thus NC would have a competitive advantage over some other places, to a certain extent, in attracting well-educated married couples with kids and could use that competitive advantage to further enhance its educational levels. Bodes well for NC's future!

The list tells us what we already know. Charlotte and Triangle metros are two of the best equipped (healthcare, schools, recreation, climate, strong "21st century" economy & wages, demographics, sports), fastest-growing regions in the nation. This is just more icing on the cake. :)

Now if we could just get that sprawl thing under control...

I've lived in the Seattle area since 1995, and I can confirm this amazing statistic. When I first moved here I was literally astounded by the fact that almost everyone I met had a Bachelors. Masters degrees are commonplace here.....Ph.D.s aren't even anything to be highly impressed with in Washington State.

Spending for education in Washington State is comparitively high. It pays off.

I was soooooooooooo delighted to see Charlotte ranking so high!

N.C. should seek to be the education capital of the South....then watch the prosperity pour in:)

^ true. that would do way more for charlotte's pursuit for world class status, than say.... an uptown triple A baseball park.

* sidenote: there is a national gatorade commercial floating around right now that high-lights nascar driver matt kenseth. you will all be proud to know it mentions charlotte twice in the ad without the NC. in fact, in the final line - the narrator says, "from charlotte to chicago and beyond..."

I've lived in the Seattle area since 1995, and I can confirm this amazing statistic. When I first moved here I was literally astounded by the fact that almost everyone I met had a Bachelors. Masters degrees are commonplace here.....Ph.D.s aren't even anything to be highly impressed with in Washington State.

Spending for education in Washington State is comparitively high. It pays off.

It is? Maybe for the community colleges but when to comes to 4+ year schools, Washington rates poorly per capita. Thank goodness for the excellent climate, geography, and no income tax, so those college educated people from elsewhere move here.

I think NC has a real advantage over some of the other "brain centers" in that both Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham are "family friendly" with low-cost housing, lots of young couples, etc. I haven't lived in metro Boston as a working adult but was there for school and would think that places like that and metro San Francisco and other larger cities are less family-friendly. Thus NC would have a competitive advantage over some other places, to a certain extent, in attracting well-educated married couples with kids and could use that competitive advantage to further enhance its educational levels. Bodes well for NC's future!

I think there's a hidden message your post..."I haven't lived in metro Boston as a working adult but was there for school and would think that places like that and metro San Francisco and other larger cities are less family-friendly." Boston/San Francisco, "married couples", "young couples", "family friendly". YIKES!

Frankly, I hope we continue to attract a lot of single people and gay couples as well. "Family friendly" is nice in a "Mary Poppins" kind of way, but the truth is, "family friendly" is scary to A LOT of people since the unspoken rule of "family friendly" excludes whole segments of the population.

When I hear the term "family friendly" I get this image of a bunch of blond, blue-eyed, Aryan children running around with Ken and Barbie for parents. Ever see "Pleasantville"? No thanks. I'd rather take me and my kids and live in Hell's Kitchen (NYC) than raise them with the Osmonds in a radical religious right wing interpretation of what a society is supposed to look like...

If this isn't your intention regarding the term "family friendly", forgive me for over-reacted to your post!!!! :thumbsup:

Well you know Phillydog, I am sure he meant "family" in the gay sense of the word :lol: I am a single gay guy and know at least a dozen happy gay families in the Charlotte area and there are many more. Which makes Charlotte a very "smart " city. There is more than one way to describe "family friendly" in today's society, is what I am trying to say :thumbsup:

Well you know Phillydog, I am sure he meant "family" in the gay sense of the word :lol: I am a single gay guy and know at least a dozen happy gay families in the Charlotte area and there are many more. Which makes Charlotte a very "smart " city. There is more than one way to describe "family friendly" in today's society, is what I am trying to say :thumbsup:

I wish you were right, Voyager!

I'm just concerned about right-wing social engineering and religious correctness...

* sidenote: there is a national gatorade commercial floating around right now that high-lights nascar driver matt kenseth. you will all be proud to know it mentions charlotte twice in the ad without the NC. in fact, in the final line - the narrator says, "from charlotte to chicago and beyond..."

Yep, and that narrator is none other than the legendary Keith Jackson.

Archived