Violent Crime in GR way down in 2005

With the very recent rash of gang-related shootings on the SE side, WOODTV put some stats up on their site showing violent crimes in GR from 2004 - 2005, with a noticeable decrease in all but 2 categories, robbery and arson. It will be interesting to see how 2006 turns out.

WOODTV Article

FBI Page

Not to downplay the current violence, but only 8 murders in the city in 2005.

Some other mid-sized cities and their murder rates in 2005:

Baltimore - 269

Austin - 26

Columbus - 102

Indianapolis -108

Kansas City, MO - 126

Jacksonville - 91

Portland - 20

Raleigh - 20

Sacramento - 52

Toledo - 28

Oklahoma City - 54

Milwaukee - 122

Ft Wayne - 25

Des Moines - 6

Buffalo - 56

Damn you Des Moines!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the very recent rash of gang-related shootings on the SE side, WOODTV put some stats up on their site showing violent crimes in GR from 2004 - 2005, with a noticeable decrease in all but 2 categories, robbery and arson. It will be interesting to see how 2006 turns out.

WOODTV Article

FBI Page

Only 8 murders in the city in 2005.

perhaps someone could share these stats w/ the teenagers in my 'hood... <_<

We're bucking the national trends.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...mail/components

"Violent crime in 2005 increased at the highest rate in 15 years, driven in large part by a surge of killings and other attacks in many Midwestern cities, the FBI reported yesterday.

The FBI's preliminary annual crime report showed an overall jump of 2.5 percent for violent offenses, including increases in homicide, robbery and assault. It was the first rise of any note since 2001, and rape was the only category in which the number of crimes declined..."

This is not a good way to begin the summer...

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...6010.xml&coll=6

"Police trailer firebombed "

"I'm angry," Mayor George Heartwell said. "There's no mistaking they were trying to send a message. We'll send a message right back at them. No group of low-brow thugs is going to deter us from our crime-stopping activity in that neighborhood. If they think that throwing a firebomb at a mobile unit is going to chase off the Grand Rapids city police or dispirit the Grand Rapids city organization, they are sorely mistaken."

Chief Harry Dolan said the brazen move strengthens the police department's resolve.

I know it's an improvement, but isn't it a little sad that we are excited that there were "only" 8 murders last year.

I don't think so. For a city of about 200,000, that is something to be very proud of. I wouldn't say I'm "excited", but it's definitely newsworthy (as both WOODTV and WZZM carried the FBI stats story last night).

The firebombing just added to the arson category though.

If mid-2006 stats are down another 4%, that's phenomenal. No wonder WOODTV was able to concentrate so much on Faust and the mystery project.

Yes something needs to be done. A mobile command post isn't going to do the trick, at least not by itself. We need more cops! We have fallen from around 400 cops in early 2000 to 320-330 now. The problem is its not the cities fault. Its the state economy and the revenue sharing cut backs. Its pretty bad when you talk to the people that live in these south east neighborhoods and they say that they don't even call 911 anymore when shots are fired. They say its just an everyday occurance. That to us as a community should be totally unacceptable. Most of us cops live out in the burbs but when we come to work we still call the city our home and we have a dedication to the city and to its residents. When my child goes out to the park and plays, she doesn't worry about gun shots going off and people being shot. We must strive for that same living conditions for our inner city youth as well. If we are going to change anyone or anything it is our youth. The police can only do so much, we need community involvement. Together we can overcome this problem. The key is working together as one. Sorry for the rant...

Yes something needs to be done. A mobile command post isn't going to do the trick, at least not by itself. We need more cops! We have fallen from around 400 cops in early 2000 to 320-330 now. The problem is its not the cities fault. Its the state economy and the revenue sharing cut backs. Its pretty bad when you talk to the people that live in these south east neighborhoods and they say that they don't even call 911 anymore when shots are fired. They say its just an everyday occurance. That to us as a community should be totally unacceptable. Most of us cops live out in the burbs but when we come to work we still call the city our home and we have a dedication to the city and to its residents. When my child goes out to the park and plays, she doesn't worry about gun shots going off and people being shot. We must strive for that same living conditions for our inner city youth as well. If we are going to change anyone or anything it is our youth. The police can only do so much, we need community involvement. Together we can overcome this problem. The key is working together as one. Sorry for the rant...

Don't apologize for that rant. I think if more people found it unacceptable things would be different.

Don't apologize for that rant. I think if more people found it unacceptable things would be different.

We need more people (myself included) to get involved in the community and get busy creating things for these kids to do and motivation for them to succeed and less people just talking about 'what we need' (like I'm doing now). Police walking the beat isn't NOT a bad a idea, not to scare the thugs away, but to build relationships with the neighborhs and create a bigger sense of community.

I don't have the answer, but we need to band together and get started DOING something as a community. Maybe your churches in Gaines Twp and Cascade can do some witnessing in the Baxter neighborhood like they do in Uganda. Theres work to be done here too...

I am wondering which age group is the offender in violent crimes? Knowing what I know I have come to the conlcusion that jobs would be a great way to get this crap off the streets. Real investment in the community to get people working, either for wages or volunteering -- just something that produces a job.

We need more people (myself included) to get involved in the community and get busy creating things for these kids to do and motivation for them to succeed and less people just talking about 'what we need' (like I'm doing now). Police walking the beat isn't NOT a bad a idea, not to scare the thugs away, but to build relationships with the neighborhs and create a bigger sense of community.

I don't have the answer, but we need to band together and get started DOING something as a community. Maybe your churches in Gaines Twp and Cascade can do some witnessing in the Baxter neighborhood like they do in Uganda. Theres work to be done here too...

WORD!

Mike you should soon be recieving an invitation to a meeting of the residents on Sigsbee. My staff Kaytie is pulling together all of the new and some of the long time concerned residents on your block for a meet and greet. Sometimes all it takes is a catalyst.

I was at my daughter's house all night yesterday helping with renovations. Lots going on in North Baxter...both good and bad. I think both ends of the spectrum are trying to flex their muscles.

That is why the mobile unit was arsoned in my neighborhood this morning. It is all about who is going to control the neighborhood the good or the bad.

I do not fault the police for the mobile units, but I agree we need more...we need more personal involvement.

OH - BTW the demo for the buildings on the Uptown land is Monday July 31. I will get more to you later on that. Fencing should go up tomorrow and signage in the next couple of weeks.

I lived in the South Hill neighborhood up until this past March. There were break-ins in the neighborhood every week, lots of vandalism, and cars stolen from right in front of my house. Crime had been decreasing in the area but over the past year there seems to have been a big increase. The area used to be worse, but Brian Prevost (some of you may know him) has been pretty active with community and police involement. He also bought up known crack houses to renovate and get rid of some undesirable people in the process.

-nb

I am wondering which age group is the offender in violent crimes? Knowing what I know I have come to the conlcusion that jobs would be a great way to get this crap off the streets. Real investment in the community to get people working, either for wages or volunteering -- just something that produces a job.

The problem in my area seemed to come from high school drop outs mostly. Kids that weren't in school. I doubt better employment would have solved the problem. Most likely they had working mothers and fathers who took off. Not that it justifies their behavior, but single parents surely have a harder time looking after their children.

-nb

No, I'm talking about employment. But with gainful employment sometims comes with respect, responsibility, and empowerment. These combinations can produce positives, atleast that is my observation.

Idle hands are the....

Just some more to add...

In the major metro areas of the state (with central cities over 100,000) violent crime is down in:

Detroit: unknown at the moment because of changes in the way things are reported, but down (homicides down 6.8%)

Grand Rapids: 4%

Violent crime is up in:

Lansing: 18.5% (almost all assaults, homocides the same)

Flint: 16%

Just for an example, last year we had 8 homicides, which I dont believe. I think it was more like 12-13. Anyhow as of last week We are at 11. That is through June 1. In reference to the comment about having officers walkng the beat. I'd be the first one to volunteer for it. The reality of it is that we have barely have enough officers to take radio calls at night. So to have 2 officers walking in each of the four districts would severely hamper call response.

When I read your posts blueman I think about the idea consolidating services for a Metro GR Police dept for the surrounding suburbs and GR. I read somewhere that may be the trend nowadays with funding disparities and other situations. I believe the mayor of Lansing is considering this option for its fire protection.

EDIT for below: Rightly said Lmich.

Law enforcement and crime are such a tough science, and it's pretty hard to predict trends. For instance, crime was up from 2004 here in Lansing as shown by the 18.5% increase, yet, this year, we've had 2 murders thus far, on track for the lowest in years. Who knows. With that said, law enforcement can always use improvement and in some place more than others. But, law enforcement is but half of the solution to the problem of crime. It's the reactive part of the solution. The proactive part of the solution is increased community involvement, and offering the same opportunities the least of us so we don't have to pay for them down the road when they become criminals. That is huge part of the solution to the problem of crime in United States. It really is shameful that this First World nations that oftens brags about itself as so many and concentrated near Third World living conditions.

I know it's an improvement, but isn't it a little sad that we are excited that there were "only" 8 murders last year.
I don't think so. For a city of about 200,000, that is something to be very proud of. I wouldn't say I'm "excited", but it's definitely newsworthy (as both WOODTV and WZZM carried the FBI stats story last night).
Exactly. Just be thankful we aren't anything like New Orleans - in 2004, 264 murders in a city with a population of just 462,269.

You guys are right. 8 murders is too many, and around 2000 violent crimes is also too many. Can't rest on laurels.

As a couple people already said, 8 murbers in a city with near 200k people is a great thing. That makes for a lower murder rate than many suburbs and I beleive lower than the national average.

Just for an example, last year we had 8 homicides, which I dont believe. I think it was more like 12-13. Anyhow as of last week We are at 11. That is through June 1...

Are you sure GR has had 11 murders already? That would be hard to beleive when there were only 8 the previous year, and from the stats I've seen thats not too far out of line with GR's past numbers. Where did that number come from?

Are you sure GR has had 11 murders already? That would be hard to beleive when there were only 8 the previous year, and from the stats I've seen thats not too far out of line with GR's past numbers. Where did that number come from?

I think blueman is GRPD.

Archived