Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voyager12

Urbanplanet gets some love from The Charlotte Observer!

30 posts in this topic

:shok: Well you can knock me over with a feather :w00t: UP was credited for an early picture of Wachovia's new tower in a major story in the Observer today. "The bank said it plans to unveil official renderings of the office tower this summer, but some uptown watchers are buzzing about a sketch posted on a Web site devoted to urban development, www.urbanplanet.org. It shows an angular, blue-tinted glass building soaring above a companion condo tower." And Observer Reader Comments:

"It's not surprising that UrbanPlanet had the scoop. Kudos to Norm" and "Thanks Urbanplanet" So, who is Norm?

:unsure:

Ok, well perhaps "love" was a stretch....but the mention was nice.

Well, now that the Observer has "scooped" everyone else by reading UP (hi Doug!), maybe Wachovia will release the renderings and make the project public.

In a way I feel kind of bad for them, they are wanting to make a big splash and probably wanted to wait until the arts projects were finalized before making the announcement.

Our impatience spoiled it for them.

Maybe they'll want to prove us wrong and put a 200 foot spire on it or something...

All those Wachovia people who got to work today, read Charlotte.com, then tried to link to UP to see the rendering were rejected.....Wachovia's own employees will be the last to see their new tower.

Edit. Can anyone else imagine Kenny T up there clicking on his mouse, demanding his assistant get someone from IT on the phone.

Haha, censorship firewalls are a double edged sword. I think Wachovia should do like BofA and let the poor peeps look at UP.

I've noticed, but not surprised, that a couple of other websites have taken the rendering that was first posted here and have claimed it as their own. Despite that, it is nice to see the Observer recognizes that UrbanPlanet is where the relevant discussions are taking place about urban development in Charlotte. My thanks to Rick Rothacker for giving us the nod.

Haha, censorship firewalls are a double edged sword. I think Wachovia should do like BofA and let the poor peeps look at UP.

They actually have the sketch on Charlotte.com now. It wasn't there when I checked earlier this morning, but it's there now.

There are three UrbanPlanet links in that Charlotte Observer story. Nice exposure! Oh, and nice tower BTW!

You know, it's kind of crappy that the Observer posted Norm's photo on their website. Especially after metro told them that there were ownership issues.

This thing has blown up since being posted here, I hope Norm doesn't get into trouble...

I think Norm is fine. Anyone could have taken that photo with a camera phone if Risden's rendering showed up in a place where anyone could see it.

Especially after metro told them that there were ownership issues.

Actually we only said that we did not own it and thus were unable to give permission to use it.

Wow, I feel very special. Lol, there are 34 users reading this topic at this time. I'm the only member. 33 guests baby. That is the exact pic, they didn't even edit it. lol

It kinda puts UP in the vanguard of Charlotte CBD interest:)

Wow, I feel very special. Lol, there are 34 users reading this topic at this time. I'm the only member. 33 guests baby. That is the exact pic, they didn't even edit it. lol

Oh there were 142 online earlier. LOL

Have we heard from Norm since the Observer posted the story?

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the offices charged with the creation of this building. I wonder what they're saying about us? <_<

Haha, Our rendering has shown up on Channel 18's Fox News @ 10. A beaming Brien Blakley announced that Wachovia is going to build this tower, its going to be 46 stories, and it would be as tall as the Hearst Tower. They said it as fact. I always believed this news channel was fairly lacking in the depth of its reporting, but this sure drops them to a new low. Oh and they didn't give credit to anyone for the story. :shades:

Well, this was a pretty good scoop here on UrbanPlanet. Based on some questions we have gotten, we may all see it again. :lol:

Remember you saw it here first.

163676979_34e0c79299_o.jpg

They showed it on Fox News WCCB a few mins ago.. there was no credit given to UP!

edit: I see you've beat me to it metro haha

I am kinda worried...no one has really heard from norm as of late - do we know if he is still alive? The Wachovia gestapo might have gotten to him...

I am still alive haha, jsut kinda um.....shocked by everything I guess. Today was a big day for me news wise. Besides I guess I a kind fo trying to also keep a low profile at this point haha. Why do I almost feel like i am almost in the middle of a monica scanal or something? haha. But on a serious note I did not epect for ti to take off like it has.....for the Observor to actually write an article on it and to post the crappy lil pic I took on their website. AND to top it all off FOX 18 airing it of all things, jeez! But yea im still around.....for now lol.

^ yeah, we'll just refer to you as "deepthroat" from now on :)

Yea, but you're officially the man that got the scoop on the Wach. project for all of Charlotte. You should be making money off that pic, but it sounds like youre happy just to have your job. Good luck. :lol: