Vue update

qwertycc

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say it's not so. I had very high hopes for this project. It needs to be built, because it could be the shot in the arm that Memphis needs to cause a boom in residential development in the downtown core area. There are a number of cities experiencing that type of development, and I see the potential of Memphis joining that list with a project such as the Vue being the catalyst.

I'll be pretty disappointed if this isn't built. What's worse is the way the Vue has been dangled in front of us for so long. I can't say I'm surprised, though. The website still says commencing in September 2005! Hopefully, scrapping a project like this would ultimately influence the birth of a similar project elsewhere downtown.

Say it's not so. I had very high hopes for this project. It needs to be built, because it could be the shot in the arm that Memphis needs to cause a boom in residential development in the downtown core area. There are a number of cities experiencing that type of development, and I see the potential of Memphis joining that list with a project such as the Vue being the catalyst.

What do you mean? Memphis has been far ahead of most similarly sized cities in developing its downtown core as a residential area. It's been going on for years--at least since the early 90's with the conversion of the Claridge, the Exchange, and the Porter buildings into residential 15 years ago.

The downtown core currently has 7,000 residents. That's exclusive of the southend/southmain areas and Mud Island which add another 5,000.

No offense, but I tend to think Memphis is already on that booming list, and in fact ahead of the pack among cities its size (including Nashville) in terms of completed and proposed units/homes--just as Chattanooga (the downtown momemtum there is amazing!) is ahead of the pack among cities its size. No, Memphis's downtown residential development isn't booming as much as Atlanta or Charlotte or Miami, but those cities are a bit ahead of Memphis in terms of size and economics. Projects like the Vue could help put our development closer to their level, I agree, but just because Memphis doesn't have some "Tower of Babel" proposed doesn't mean it isn't enjoying a downtown residential boom that rivals or, more likely, surpasses its peers. Memphis is behind in many respects, but downtown residential development is not one of them.

It is sad becuase the Vue was a great looking project and the tallest proposed so far. It would have (and may still) looked great and would have boosted Main St. redevelopment considerably. Maybe someone with a bigger pocketbook can pick up the project since it is already approved and get it off the ground.

Proposed:

Downtown projects list

South Main Downtown projects list

I think I'll look into getting a "completed" list together. Most southern cities began experiencing downtown residential development/redevelopment within the last 5-10 years. Memphis, on the other hand, began about 20 years ago with Mud Island projects. Memphis was doing it before it was cool. :shades:

I certianly hope it can be salvaged and built in the near future, but since its been a hole in the ground for quite a while this news does not bolster my confidence in this particular project going forward on the site. Perhaps, if this falls through, some other developer can step up with a proposal for the site to go along with the parking garage that is going to be built one way or the other.

I had high hopes. This was the obvious, though. We are now at a between on interest rates. This project has had three years of false starts...this isn't a surprise. Bigger question is (1) what could have been built and (2) will #1 beale still be around?

Archived