The Weather Channel

Miesian Corners

OK, I admit it, I'm a weather geek and media whore. I can sometimes watch the Weather Channel as entertainment and to guess how long it will be before:

A) the City of Atlanta is mentioned

B) guess which on-camera meterologist will be pregnant (again...there must be something in the water there)

C) Dave Schwartz winks at Mike Bettes

But now they have crossed the line. They have set the Jeb Bush press conference on Alberto to dramatic music. Geez! The music would be in bad taste even if this was a Category 5 hurricane, but Its not even a decent tropical storm.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I admit it, I'm a weather geek and media whore. I can sometimes watch the Weather Channel as entertainment and to guess how long it will be before:

A) the City of Atlanta is mentioned

B) guess which on-camera meterologist will be pregnant (again...there must be something in the water there)

C) Dave Schwartz winks at Mike Bettes

But now they have crossed the line. They have set the Jeb Bush press conference on Alberto to dramatic music. Geez! The music would be in bad taste even if this was a Category 5 hurricane, but Its not even a decent tropical storm.

:lol:

They do overdramatize the small stuff don't they...

The Weather Channel is the most dramatic channel on television. Seriously, they pack more drama into that channel than Lifetime. I love it when there's really no adverse weather across the nation but they are still able to play that "dun dun dun dun" music like theres a tornado outbreak or something.

Nevertheless, I love watching the Weather Channel, except when they do the little excerpts from P. Allen Smith, god he's annoying!

The Weather Channel is the most dramatic channel on television. Seriously, they pack more drama into that channel than Lifetime. I love it when there's really no adverse weather across the nation but they are still able to play that "dun dun dun dun" music like theres a tornado outbreak or something.

Nevertheless, I love watching the Weather Channel, except when they do the little excerpts from P. Allen Smith, god he's annoying!

Haha, he does give good tips though! :D

Yep, Im a weather channel watcher, nothing like a stormy summer afternoon. Ive tuned into TWC for gosh, a long long time. I like to track storms and hurricanes and all that jazz. Plus on the weekends I use their website for pet watch when I take my dog down to the river :D

It's smooth jazz.

When I was 8 - 10, I watched TWC all the time. Back then they had a big Barney purple screen for the local weather. It came up whenever they wanted. They only seemed to cover the major cities... they're maps now have all kinds of localities, but in the past, I think only Norfolk and Roanoke represented Virginia. They also had the travel forcast at the end of the hour with a big gray screen with major cities scrolling up the screen and their forecasts. Oh and then they also had several pictured splash screens for the travel forecast of US major cities.

I have tracked down many songs featured on TWC... and if anyone has a good version of Jim Horn's "Divided Soul" PLEASE let me know! :lol: And it is not Muzak... so don't confuse it with elevator music. Totally different genre.

About the meterologists... I like to see who's left from the 80s. To name a few, Vivian Brown, Jonetta Jones, Dave Schwartz... I think Jim Cantore was there then... he annoys me now. He's so daggone serious and overdramatic. Did the old hurricane expert [first name] Hope pass? He was a really old guy 20 years ago.

I am more upset with TWC now because whenever I want weather I can't get it! It's like the Weather Channel has gone the way of Music Television where there is less and less weather but more stories relating to it. If there is a big blob of red heading to Richmond, I don't want to see it on a tiny screen on the side! And their Weather Scan was better before its "improvements." There, there are two radars that could be bigger! But at least the local on the 8s radars can cover three distances... regional, your part of the state, and local.

Then there's the It Could Happen Tomorrow series... I'm waiting to see what else will come true. I'm waiting for the New Madrid earthquake zone to show up... hey maybe they can do one on Charleston's 1888 quake. And I have yet to see the Storm Stories featuring Richmond's flooding during Gaston!

Every good channel has gone to crap. TLC and History are becoming more and more unwatchable. People used to complain about the History Channel being the "Hitler Channel", which I didn't mind, but now it's all aliens and conspiracy theories. I've never been a big fan of it, anyways, but shows like American Chopper (which I hate) have ruined the Discovery Channel. A&E and Bravo changed, too, though I never really watched them. Has anyone noticed the crap they got on American Movie Classics? I forget some of the newer movies, but among the older movies I think I recall seeing "Splash" or whatever that stupid Tom Hanks mermaid movie was. Court TV is about the only channel I can think of that went against its format and has actually gotten better to me.

AMC has commercials now too. It used to be commercial free.

Same with Bravo. I used to sit in agony in my friends house as his presumably mentally unstable father sat and watched that channel forever while wearing his wireless headphones tuned to the country music station. I never saw a commercial. The guy would spend most of his day and part of his night (didn't work for some reason, my friend said he "retired" from the country music station because of his diabetes) sittin on the porch with the headphones on and a super soaker on hand in case a cat invaded his front yard. :wacko:

Every good channel has gone to crap. TLC and History are becoming more and more unwatchable. People used to complain about the History Channel being the "Hitler Channel", which I didn't mind, but now it's all aliens and conspiracy theories. I've never been a big fan of it, anyways, but shows like American Chopper (which I hate) have ruined the Discovery Channel. A&E and Bravo changed, too, though I never really watched them. Has anyone noticed the crap they got on American Movie Classics? I forget some of the newer movies, but among the older movies I think I recall seeing "Splash" or whatever that stupid Tom Hanks mermaid movie was. Court TV is about the only channel I can think of that went against its format and has actually gotten better to me.

Haha! I remember when AMC didn't even have commercials! And yes that was Spalsh with Tom Hanks and Daryll Hannah... what was wrong with that movie? It's a classic from 1984! Wasn't it directed by Ron Howard? But I do remember when they showed black and white movies. but at least Turner Classic Movies offers some golden relics. Prevue Guide Channel which became Tv Guide Channel used to fill the while screen and rolled continuously. In my area they had multicolored lines with the channels and listing between them and each block of channels was what was showing at a particular half hour. Now it has its own shows and takes up 3/4 of the screen! What's the use in having listings?

But I forgot about the tons of commercials TWC has now. Have they stopped showing that field tiller commercial yet? I know I've seen the Claw and Chiapet commercials.

Haha! I remember when AMC didn't even have commercials! And yes that was Spalsh with Tom Hanks and Daryll Hannah... what was wrong with that movie? It's a classic from 1984! Wasn't it directed by Ron Howard? But I do remember when they showed black and white movies.

I thought Splash was no classic, I thought it was silly and didn't laugh once throughout the entire movie. I'm not too young to not remember AMC being commerical free, but I hardly watched it. I thought of it as a noteriety as my parents were too cheap to get the pay channels and that it was (along with Bravo, Disney was also a pay channel at the time) the only channels that didn't have commercials.

lol I used to get so pissed off when i'd watch the weather channel, and all I wanted to see was my town on the map but NOOO, sometimes they wouldn't even show Detroit, but good ole' Cleveland is always on. It would drive me nuts not to see my Michigan towns shown.

ps I realize i'm a huge nerd.

lol I used to get so pissed off when i'd watch the weather channel, and all I wanted to see was my town on the map but NOOO, sometimes they wouldn't even show Detroit, but good ole' Cleveland is always on. It would drive me nuts not to see my Michigan towns shown.

Wow... I now know I'm not the only nerd like that. :lol:

I used to watch for the sole purpose of seeing Shreveport on there, but in most cases Dallas would overshadow us.

I agree TWC is so watered down now. It is basically a channel dedicated to promoting Atlanta and Atlanta only rather than weather all over the US. They now use a tower cam that show the I-75/285 junction in Cobb County. I'm like what is the use of me living here in Birmingham seeing a tower cam out of Metro Atlanta. Last night took the cake with them having former NBA player John Salley on there with Jim Cantore doing weather. That is a big ass mess and retarded at the least. When did TWC become the "Any Ole Celebrity Promotion Channel"?

I do agree when I do watch I want to see the mentioning of Birmingham and its current weather on there. But my reasoning is so I can get the current weather conditions and not have to wait. It's good to know that Birmingham is just known as "Birmingham" and not "Birmingham, Alabama" when mentioned on TWC. :D

^ So true. Vivian Brown is the worst in terms of being obsessed with ATL. On one particular day, there were flooding, tornadoes, hail and wind storms all over the mid Atlantic and here's what Vivian said: "You've got some heavy rain there in central Virginia, and a tornado has reportedly touched down in Louden County, but its beautiful in Atlanta. Why not head down to Piedmont Park for a picnic, or go for a hike at Stone Mountain. There's a big sale at Lennox Square. Enjoy the day! High of 78 in Marrietta today. Take advantage of the beautiful weather in the Atlanta area!"

Maybe they should be rebranded as "The Atlanta Weather Channel"

^ So true. Vivian Brown is the worst in terms of being obsessed with ATL. On one particular day, there were flooding, tornadoes, hail and wind storms all over the mid Atlantic and here's what Vivian said: "You've got some heavy rain there in central Virginia, and a tornado has reportedly touched down in Louden County, but its beautiful in Atlanta. Why not head down to Piedmont Park for a picnic, or go for a hike at Stone Mountain. There's a big sale at Lennox Square. Enjoy the day! High of 78 in Marrietta today. Take advantage of the beautiful weather in the Atlanta area!"

Maybe they should be rebranded as "The Atlanta Weather Channel"

:rofl: She actually said that?! I need to start a new channel.. Real Weather Channel and base it in Richmond! So then we can brag about nice weather here while there could be a 200 mph hurricane destroying Florida and four-mile wide tornadoes vacuuming from Oklahoma to North Dakota.

I liked the Weather Channel much better in past years; it has gotten so melodramatic now. They try and make an average tropical storm into a monster now. When the only people that watched the Weather Channel were weather geeks (like me), it was much better.

Archived