Michigan and Monroe

Khorasaurus

This is totally just for fun, because it doesn't look like anything's going to happen here anytime soon, but if you guys were Czars of GR, what would you do with the area around the Michigan/Monroe intersection? I think the Press, the Post Office, and the Feds would have to stay, but by no means in their current buildings since they are all hideous. Also, how would you integrate Olds Manor and DeVos Place into your designs?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is totally just for fun, because it doesn't look like anything's going to happen here anytime soon, but if you guys were Czars of GR, what would you do with the area around the Michigan/Monroe intersection? I think the Press, the Post Office, and the Feds would have to stay, but by no means in their current buildings since they are all hideous. Also, how would you integrate Olds Manor and DeVos Place into your designs?

If I was the Czar of GR, I would bring back the cable cars up and down Michigan Hill! :yahoo:

If I were Czar of GR, the post office would get moved elsewhere and there current building demolished. In its place I would build a monumental piece of architecture at least 60 stories high that would contain the Press's HQ, a hotel for the convention crowd, ground level retail to generate foot traffic, and $250,000+ premium condos on the upper floors to attract young afluent wishing to live the urban lifestyle. As for the Olds Mannor, its facade would be incorperated into the new development to maintain a human scale and keep historic preservationists happy. Since the current GR Press building would no longer be needed it would get demolished to make room for the biggest project to hit GR since the Urban Renewal of the '60s, the second urban renewal to mow down Calder Plaza and rebuild it the right way.

First, in place of the Press's current HQ, I would built three towers a 50 story building for the county and state, a 40 story tower to replace the federal building, and a center 60 story building for City Hall. These three tallest buildings in GR would be called Government Center Towers. Next, Michigan Street would be buried into a tunnel below a new Calder Plaza built at street level to Munroe Ave. The new plaza would have a North-South Alignment with the three government towers to the north end, Calder's Stabile in the center, and a larg hotel on the south end to serve the convention center. Surrounding the new plaza would be 20 to 30 story buildings of mix use nature with retail on the ground floors. Under the plaza would be a parking ramp that would later be converted into a "grand central terminal" for a more developed mass transit system.

I know this is goes beyond the scope of Monroe and Michigan, but hey making a simple change can have a big chain reaction. Plus I would love to see the mistakes of the 60's urban renewal corrected.

... make room for the biggest project to hit GR since the Urban Renewal of the '60s, the second urban renewal to mow down Calder Plaza and rebuild it the right way.

First, in place of the Press's current HQ, I would built three towers a 50 story building for the county and state, a 40 story tower to replace the federal building, and a center 60 story building for City Hall. ...

CH presently has nine stories, and if the empty cubes were condensed, it'd all fit into about 6 or 7. Were you thinking of moving the Parks, Traffic, and refueling station there too?

I know this is goes beyond the scope of Monroe and Michigan, but hey making a simple change can have a big chain reaction. Plus I would love to see the mistakes of the 60's urban renewal corrected.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M3E45424D

[i've started collecting old local postcards.]

Archived