New Nissan HQ to be 10 story 500,000+ sq ft

smeagolsfree

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Tennessean today:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...5/1436/BUSINESS

I know its sprawl guys, but it looks as if Franklin will have a building to be proud of and we all cheered when we found out they were coming here.

I'm as glad as anyone that they're moving into the Metro area. I would have just preferred that they had built downtown. I'm guessing the proposed WES office building and this one are pretty close to the same size. If not WES, imagine a 20 to 25 story downtown Office Bldg constructed for Nissan. The good news is that some of these 1200 to 1300 new employees will ultimately decide to live downtown or near downtown are enjoy a relatively painless reverse commute to their workplace.

From the Tennessean today:

I know its sprawl guys, but it looks as if Franklin will have a building to be proud of and we all cheered when we found out they were coming here.

Don't look for exciting architecture. I expect this to be more of the same bland crap you see all over Cool Springs.

Don't look for exciting architecture. I expect this to be more of the same bland crap you see all over Cool Springs.

LOL @ that. But ATL, I'm sure the area around it will probably give birth to a few chain bar and grilles. Doesn't that just excite you? What if you're in the area and craving an Applebees appetizer sampler. You'll be glad my friend...you'll be glad.

LOL @ that. But ATL, I'm sure the area around it will probably give birth to a few chain bar and grilles. Doesn't that just excite you? What if you're in the area and craving an Applebees appetizer sampler. You'll be glad my friend...you'll be glad.

Ironically, Cool Springs lost Applebees years ago. No Olive Garden, O'Charley's, Popeye's, Dairy Queen, or Arby's either (to name a few). They just got Cracker Barrel last year. If you want good wings in Cool Springs, ya better get your keys and gas up the Hummer...

Ironically, Cool Springs lost Applebees years ago. No Olive Garden, O'Charley's, Popeye's, Dairy Queen, or Arby's either (to name a few). They just got Cracker Barrel last year. If you want good wings in Cool Springs, ya better get your keys and gas up the Hummer...

They have Chicken Nicks and Otters, though. There's a TGIFridays which is virtualy interchangeable with O'Charley's. Both suck anyway, ditto Olive Garden, DQ, Arby's, et al. Long live Cool Springs! I don't know what that means. Peace.

Since food location seems to be a priority for the location of the Nissan HQ, it will be centered between Cool Springs and Franklin. What you can't find in Cool Springs, you have on Hwy. 96 in Frankin (i.e. O'Charley's, Arby's, etc, but still no Olive Garden)

I'm pretty much in agreement regarding the bland architecture and I think know the reason for it. I am appointed to a governmental board that is looking into the possibility of recommending architectural design standards for a community and as a part of our research, we reviewed the design standards for Franklin. For a high rise building, they call for the buildings lower floors to form a distinct base, a middle that emphasizes verticality and a distinct cap.

The standards limit innovation, but it could be worse. They also eliminate the possibility of a glass box office building.

I laughed a bit at Tom Miller saying that the plan "fit in well with Franklin". I wonder what Nissan would have to build to get him to say anything else? They could demand an exact replica of the Epcot Center and this guy would be out there saying "Well, this is the direction that Franklin has been moving for years." :rolleyes:

i'm gonna see if i can get any renderings of the buildings. my dad's firm is doing it.

Maybe we can "sneak a peek" of a rendering like the Charloote forum did with the Wachovia project. The Charlotte Observer newspaper even ran an article based on the UP forum's rendering and gave credit to Urban Planet for the rendering.

I actually think it doesn't look too bad. And the area that they develop over there is not necessarily going to be traditional suburban strip mall land uses, alot of new urbanism is going on even in that area.

However, even the new urbanism is kinda hoakie imitation. For instance, I think the closest housing development is gonna be Avalon, an imitation medieval community :wacko: complete with 10 castles on our beautiful hilltops for our beloved millionaires (which actually prompted a revision of the hilltop development ordinances, but thats another story...)

I was at the announcement today. While there I heard a pretty cool story about how the building was designed. Gresham Smith & Partners architect got with one of the car designers and they had a conversation about how cars are designed. Nissan wanted a building that really invoked the culture of Nissan. So the vertical columns for example are supposed to represent the Infinity line of cars. Other features are supposed to invoke elements of Tennessee. A Gresham principal told me that more buildings are going toward the ledge look becauise it cuts down on the air conditioning needs because of shading etc. This is sort of the Cliff Notes version.

some companies don't like paying millions of dollars for property such as in Nashville.

here in Franklin it's alot cheaper and alot prettier.

I'd dare say it's a lot cheaper in Downtown Nashville than where they moved from in California. In any event, corporate HQ's belong in downtown city cores, not suburbia.

I was at the announcement today. While there I heard a pretty cool story about how the building was designed. Gresham Smith & Partners architect got with one of the car designers and they had a conversation about how cars are designed. Nissan wanted a building that really invoked the culture of Nissan. So the vertical columns for example are supposed to represent the Infinity line of cars. Other features are supposed to invoke elements of Tennessee. A Gresham principal told me that more buildings are going toward the ledge look becauise it cuts down on the air conditioning needs because of shading etc. This is sort of the Cliff Notes version.

looks like the tennessean beat me to it. my dad is a partner at gresham smith and partners. he was telling me how they had been talking to nissan months ahead of the announcement of them chosing nashville. i'm just glad swinson didn't get it. the building might look like a super hero. :P

looks like the tennessean beat me to it. my dad is a partner at gresham smith and partners. he was telling me how they had been talking to nissan months ahead of the announcement of them chosing nashville. i'm just glad swinson didn't get it. the building might look like a super hero. :P

When I was at The Tennessean, Bush and I beat everyone to it. :D That was probably the biggest story of my career and I did it in my final two weeks at the paper. It was a nice parting gift. But it also helped me get my gig with News 2.

Why? Clearly Nissan didn't think so.

I've just had a lifelong dislike of suburban office buildings/office parks cluttering up the landscape. Nissan could've made a bold statement by building a brand-spanking new highrise downtown. Instead, it chose just another suburban office park. I can't say I'm very excited at all. :(

while it would have been great to have them locate downtown, i think cool springs did meet their needs. that's why they are going there. they need space to be able to showcase their cars. that's pretty hard to do in a highrise building. i'm just glad they didn't go to texas.

Archived