New Nissan HQ to be 10 story 500,000+ sq ft

smeagolsfree

However, even the new urbanism is kinda hoakie imitation. For instance, I think the closest housing development is gonna be Avalon, an imitation medieval community :wacko: complete with 10 castles on our beautiful hilltops for our beloved millionaires (which actually prompted a revision of the hilltop development ordinances, but thats another story...)

That sounds cool ! Where is that going to be? I've always thought it was stupid that all the development in williamson co. occured on the flat land and the hills were left "wild". The flat land should have been left as farm land and the useless hiltops and sides should have been covered with residential = maximum utility of the land.

...Waaaiiittt a minute...WTF is a "hilltop development ordinance"? Franklin is more idiotic than I thought...:wacko:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sounds cool ! Where is that going to be? I've always thought it was stupid that all the development in williamson co. occured on the flat land and the hills were left "wild". The flat land should have been left as farm land and the useless hiltops and sides should have been covered with residential = maximum utility of the land.

...Waaaiiittt a minute...WTF is a "hilltop development ordinance"? Franklin is more idiotic than I thought...:wacko:

:rofl:

I say if Nissan wants to build their headquarters in Cool Springs, well it's their company and if they are within the laws they can do whatever they want.

For those of you who hate suburban office parks, think about this: If corporations were forced into downtown highrises, well I'd hate to see how much rent would be then! Downtown got too expensive and forced people out of town. Simple econmics at work here.

In my job, I am constantly visiting prospects in and around the CBD, and people in outlying areas. I hate going downtown because I have to pay so much to park. Even outside the CBD at places like division circle, I have to pay to park in a deck.

I don't forsee having any personal dealings with Nissan, but if they built in downtown I would have been fine with that. I would guess that being a large successful corporation, they crunched the numbers and determine that their line of work did not require a downtown presence, so why pay the premium. They do, however, need to carry some prestige, so that's why they are in Cool Springs instead of Metrocenter, Hendersonville, or Smyrna.

Blaag! At least farmland had already been urbanized and converted to human use so it constitutes less degredation of habitat. I'm sure the animals that cling to existence on the useless hilltops will appreciate a relaxation of hilltop development ordinances. And who needs all those useless trees and vegetation. Bricks, mortar and aspault convert carbon dioxide into oxygen, too. Right? Take a drive through Brentwood and you'll find plenty of hilltop neighborhoods. So much useful space, too. "Hey, let's go throw the ball in the backyard! Just try not to brake an ankle running on a 45 degree slope. Oh, shoot there goes the ball, rolling, rolling, rolling away. Oh well, let's go watch TV."

Nissan moved from a suburban area to another suburban area. If they had gone to an urban area, the change would have been even more difficult than moving across the country. As well, of the automakers, only GM has a tell office building in a downtown.....and we can all see how that's worked out for GM. While we may be disappointed Nissan moved to Franktown as opposed to Nashvegas, a rising tide lifts all boats, and with Nissan will come others.

• 4 weeks later...

I found an interesting article that was run in the Detroit Free Press about Nashville emerging as an automobile manufacturing hub.

“Economic analysts say the possible alliance between General Motors Corp., Nissan Motor Co. and Renault SA could boost Tennessee's reputation as a new hub for automotive manufacturing”

However, they don't think we are ready to challenge Detroit quite yet.

“Despite the Tennessee plants' proximity, analysts say it's unlikely that the Music City could become the next Motor City.”

I know the Nissan relocation came out of the blue, but I know of no other new plants or relocations pending. And I doubt the talks about a 'merger' with GM will affect Nashville greatly. Nevertheless, it is interesting to hear Nashville mentioned in the same breath with Detroit as an automobile center.

Although you might have meant corporate HQs, Jackson just got a brand new Toyota plant (i think producing engines) and Chattanooga is also in the running for a Toyota plant. Nashville's central (in this state) to both of those locations :thumbsup: Thanks for the article, it's always interesting to see others' impressions of our fair city.

Well that was an interesting read! I've never considered Nashville to be becoming the new center of the auto industry. That's definately a surprise. It certainly got Detroit far, but I sure we don't turn out like they did. Of course, I don't even see Nashville becoming anything more than the home to Nissan NA, Bridgestone-Firestone, and a couple of auto plants, but whatever. The publicity is good.

I did notice some mistakes though, like Nissan being located in the 15 story building that towers of the CMT building. And also, Cool Springs is not a city! That bugs me. Franklin and Brentwood are, but not Cool Springs.

Well that was an interesting read! I've never considered Nashville to be becoming the new center of the auto industry. That's definately a surprise. It certainly got Detroit far, but I sure we don't turn out like they did. Of course, I don't even see Nashville becoming anything more than the home to Nissan NA, Bridgestone-Firestone, and a couple of auto plants, but whatever. The publicity is good.

I did notice some mistakes though, like Nissan being located in the 15 story building that towers of the CMT building. And also, Cool Springs is not a city! That bugs me. Franklin and Brentwood are, but not Cool Springs.

To be quite honest, I don't EVER want to become as reliant on the auto industry as Detroit has become. We need a mix of businesses/industries and what is happening in Detroit is indicative of what would occur if we focused all efforts on just one industry.

Very interesting article. Does Toyota have a north american headquarters, and if so, let's go get them! I agree that we don't want to become motor city, but we need some big corporate names in this town. How else will we be able to rebuild Opryland!?

And it's great to see that not only are we irritating Atlanta, but Detroit too???

Very interesting article. Does Toyota have a north american headquarters, and if so, let's go get them! I agree that we don't want to become motor city, but we need some big corporate names in this town. How else will we be able to rebuild Opryland!?

And it's great to see that not only are we irritating Atlanta, but Detroit too???

I think you can add Charlotte to that list too.

Yeah, Toyota's HQ is in Torrance, CA, but they publicly said after the Nissan anouncement pretty much that they thought it was a mistake, and they wouldn't be moving. However, the buzz right now among Wilco relators is Mars is moving their HQ here, but they haven't announced it yet.

If it's the candy company Mars which is now Masterfoods USA, then that is interesting news indeed. Cleveland TN has a large Masterfoods USA plant where twix, and M&M's are made... the plant is about 700 employees strong.

I guess that would make sense, but what the real estate people have told me is they're moving into Maryland Farms (into that pet food company's HQ). I know one of them just bought into my neighborhood, and one of our best family friends 'has been showing houses to the people from Mars' for a week and theres 'a ton more people from Mars coming.' As you can tell we've had a good time with the whole 'people from Mars thing.' 'So what are the people from Mars like?' 'So do the people from Mars look weird?'

^ lol I agree. What does the Mars candy company have to do with Toyota & Nissan? I think it's great if they decide to move their HQ here, though. Not sure it would be the best move to put it into a pet food company's HQ!

• 2 months later...

Looking through this thead, I only saw one rendering of this building.....Gresham Smith has another on their website.

http://www.gspnet.com/

It's under Corporate + Urban Design, then under On The Boards.

Sorry, if this picture was already released, but I think it makes the building look better than the one in the Tennessean.

Looking through this thead, I only saw one rendering of this building.....Gresham Smith has another on their website.

http://www.gspnet.com/

It's under Corporate + Urban Design, then under On The Boards.

Sorry, if this picture was already released, but I think it makes the building look better than the one in the Tennessean.

The site you've posted just takes us to the front page. Where do you go within the site to see the rendering?

Archived