Construction photos from FSU

BHCav

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting the link to those pictures, BHCav. I agree with you on FSU's need for more verticality. I do think the parking garages they've been building are a step in the right direction, but in general the school either needs to limit the number of new enrollees, or build higher in my opinion.

Thanks for that link. Good shots! It saves me from having to drive all over campus to see the construction. I agree w/bldg. vertically, but don't they have a stupid stupid height limitation over there of like 5 or 6 stories. I've never been a fan of a second campus and like I've said many times I'm all for building up and not allowing freshman and sophomores to have cars on campus.

If FSU is ever to be a major research university or more specifically an AAU university, it has to have a second campus or research campus.

You need at least 500 acres IMHO to do it right, which includes land for any branched off private firms.

Regarding enrollment, I believe FSU should cap enrollment, but the state won't allow it.

If FSU is ever to be a major research university or more specifically an AAU university, it has to have a second campus or research campus.

You need at least 500 acres IMHO to do it right, which includes land for any branched off private firms.

Regarding enrollment, I believe FSU should cap enrollment, but the state won't allow it.

I'd be fine w/a second campus being devoted to research only. But that is not what they are proposing for the new SW campus is it?

"I'd be fine w/a second campus being devoted to research only. But that is not what they are proposing for the new SW campus is it?"

Not a simple yes not answer.

The original "University Park" proposal was primarily a research park. That idea has since died so FSU is now pushing non research projects to the SW campus. Including IM fields, etc.

Recent studies show that there is not enough land that is able to be developed (lots of low lying land, etc) there anyway to do much.

The original "University Park" proposal was primarily a research park. That idea has since died so FSU is now pushing non research projects to the SW campus. Including IM fields, etc.

Recent studies show that there is not enough land that is able to be developed (lots of low lying land, etc) there anyway to do much.

Is there any other option or area for FSU to build a true research park and not just a Tally SW branch campus? Didn't we talk once about suggesting a Southwood or St. Joe location for that? Does anyone know if FSU or St. Joe (I think they may have) has ever explored this option?

"Is there any other option or area for FSU to build a true research park and not just a Tally SW branch campus? Didn't we talk once about suggesting a Southwood or St. Joe location for that? Does anyone know if FSU or St. Joe (I think they may have) has ever explored this option?"

St Joe has offered FSU land for a research hospital. FSU's leadership and lack of local support doomed this.

I have no doubt St Joe would give FSU land for a research park, but FSU would likely need the combined resources of the city, count, FAMU, etc to make it work. I imagine FSU would provide the majority of resources, but others would have to contribute to make it happen. In this area, the players just don't work well together so it won't happen.

St Joe has over 40 thousand acres in Leon County FYI.

"I wonder if FSU is considering or ever will consider another campus in different city. Kind of like the PC campus. FSU-Jax campus? FSU-Ft. Myers Campus?"

Not to my knowledge. Definitely not a research campus. IF FSU were ever to build one, and I doubt it at this point, it would have to be near the main campus and SW campus due to the location of other research facilities like the mag lab.

• 3 months later...

Here are some relatively recent photos of construction projects at FSU that I took on August 22, 2006. I must apologize for not remembering what project is what for the most part. If someone knows, feel free to plug in the info. Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this first one will be student housing:

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

DSC01738.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

This is the one instance where I absolutely know what is being constructed, because I happened to get the construction sign in the photo - it's the new chemistry building (pictured in the next two shots):

DSC01761.jpg

DSC01763.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the last shot is of what will be a new dorm. It's just across Tennessee St. from main campus.

DSC01460.jpg

I was very impressed with all of the construction projects that FSU had going on all at once during my latest Tallahassee visit. Not only that, but the new buildings are all very aesthetically pleasing, a welcome departure from some of FSU's older "modern" buildings (I'm thinking of you, Keen building...).

Past President Sandy D'Almberte is the one you have to thank for bring back the "old style" architecture to FSU bldgs. He even wanted the remake of Bellamy to include changing the outside of the bldg. to look more like the architecture of the old part of campus. I guess that did not happen.

Your last photo RJ is of the new DeGraff Dorm at Tennessee and Dewey.

Past President Sandy D'Almberte is the one you have to thank for bring back the "old style" architecture to FSU bldgs. He even wanted the remake of Bellamy to include changing the outside of the bldg. to look more like the architecture of the old part of campus. I guess that did not happen.

Your last photo RJ is of the new DeGraff Dorm at Tennessee and Dewey.

I don't quite agree with D'Almberte's decision on that. Yes, the old style architcture is nice, but it's ridiculous to have EVERY SINGLE building with it. It's boring, not to mention confusing to outsiders when every building looks like the next. What ever happened to individuality and uniqueness. I personally like the Bellamy building because it's "different", you know? The Keen building, while it's a dump, is also unique. I cherish individuality, I don't know what FSU cherishes. Some stuff on campus is tacky, but you take the beautiful with the ugly.

So much for FSU being a showcase for new, evolving architecture and designs. It doesn't do much for me to have a class in some faux-Jacobbean revival building where the facade is fake and the inside is sterile.

I know this is probably a poor reason for choosing not to attend a particular school, but at the time I felt like one of my reasons for not attending FSU was because of the drab, institutional architecture. This would have been around 1999 when the decision was being made. Given the wonderful direction the architecture has gone on the new buildings, that might be a tougher call if I had to make it today.

I personally think consistency of design is a good thing for a school. Straying too much from the architectural pattern would give a school a cluttered look to me. FSU has long had that, but it is slowly disappearing as the new buildings go up. The school I ultimately chose, Berry College, uses a Georgian style of architecture for the majority of its buildings, and that lends a consistency to the campus, as well as stateliness in my opinion.

Archived