What's in Grand Rapids for 25-35 Diverse Professionals to do?

I'm currently on the fence about accepting a job offer in Grand Rapids Michigan because I was recently there on 28th St near Woodland Mall and I saw nothing in Grand Rapids except a bunch of Fast Food Restaurants, a Mall, and a bunch of Car Dealerships! Where's the singles hang out? Where's the diversity? What's going on in Grand Rapids?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm currently on the fence about accepting a job offer in Grand Rapids Michigan because I was recently there on 28th St near Woodland Mall and I saw nothing in Grand Rapids except a bunch of Fast Food Restaurants, a Mall, and a bunch of Car Dealerships! Where's the singles hang out? Where's the diversity? What's going on in Grand Rapids?
You are basing this on a visit to a small area of the Grand Rapids metro area? First of all, check out downtown.

Welcome 25th HOUR! From where are you moving?

I would say definitely downtown, Uptown (Lake/Diamond/Cherry area) and Easttown (Lake Drive and Wealthy area). "Diversity" carries different meanings, so it would depend on what you were seeking.

Sorry, but gotta move this to the Coffee House.

If all of GR were like that area of town you mentioned, I'd move outta here in a second.

Join the Grand Rapids young professionals email list here.. http://www.gryp.org/

http://www.bar-divani.com/ seems to be pretty popular with the young professionals.

The urban institue for contemprary arts has good alternative films and some classy events.

http://www.uica.org/

The art museum has friday night events involving browsing galleries, jazz or blues bands, a bar, etc.

http://www.gramonline.org/infoandcalender/thisweek.html

There is 'blues on the mall' open air concerts downtown on wednesday nights.

The "Big Old Building" is another downtown favorite with the 20 and 30 something crowd, (bars, restaurants, club)

http://www.thebob.com/

Surely others can add to my list of links.

28th street isNOT grand rapids (maybe techinically it is, but well you said it best), check out our developments page and the photo of the day page, GO DOWNTOWN!!!!!! its great down there!!! if you ever are in town and need help getting around just ask me and ill help you! Enjoy wherever you are at because once you come here youll never wanna leave :)

There are tons of things going on in GR. Downtown is great. Downtown during the summer, nothing compares. The clubs, people everywhere, free concerts. So much to do where do you begin. If you're into the bar scene, probabally Ionia Ave near the arena has the best selection. Although there are great places scattered thruout downtown.

Wow. This looks like a set up to generate conversation. I smell bs.

You really have to try not to see where the big buildings are in town when driving into the city. I can think of maybe two ways that could happen.

Diversity? That side of town is where all the diversity is.

You know, you may be right Dschoon. But I can see that happening. If you come in on the 96 get off at 28th in Cascade. Just stay in that general Area, Really the only part of the city you're going to see is Kentwood. Alot of people get that image of GR. Especially people from Lansing who come down that corridor for shopping but never make it the couple of extra mile into downtown.

Welcome!

The short answer is it all depends on what you enjoy doing! Downtown has a ton of stuff to do. Additionally, Alpine has a good amount as well.

If you enjoy Hockey, Van Andel Arena is a great place.

If you enjoy Micro Brew Beers, Founders Brewery and the Bob are two good places to start.

If you enjoy Art, S. Division close to downtown has a growing art district.

If you enjoy sports in general, several bars have a sports theme.

If you enjoy a diverse crazy piano bar, we have one of those downtown as well.

If you enjoy watching baseball, 5/3rd Ball Park is just north of the City on 131.

If you enjoy museums, there are a few of them in downtown.

If you enjoy anything else, it is someplace in Grand Rapids.

The area that you saw is not a good representation of Grand Rapids.

I know your situation. My fianc

Welcome!

The short answer is it all depends on what you enjoy doing! Downtown has a ton of stuff to do. Additionally, Alpine has a good amount as well.

If you enjoy Hockey, Van Andel Arena is a great place.

If you enjoy Micro Brew Beers, Founders Brewery and the Bob are two good places to start.

If you enjoy Art, S. Division close to downtown has a growing art district.

If you enjoy sports in general, several bars have a sports theme.

If you enjoy a diverse crazy piano bar, we have one of those downtown as well.

If you enjoy watching baseball, 5/3rd Ball Park is just north of the City on 131.

If you enjoy museums, there are a few of them in downtown.

If you enjoy anything else, it is someplace in Grand Rapids.

The area that you saw is not a good representation of Grand Rapids.

I know your situation. My fianc

If I were going to accept a job offer in a city I am not familiar, a online discussion would be the last place look. :dontknow: But it's UP-GR we are very knowledgeable! :) Have you tried asking the the company you are prepared to take on for a dossier/itinerary of Metro GR for outsiders? Usually companies can be very helpful in courting possible relocators.

Move here for sure; word is Metro Grand Rapids is ranked in the top 10 places to do things in thoes travelers books. You can basicly throw a dart at the metro map and go there expecting to be happy, excitied, pleased, etc... atleast that is my experience.

EDIT: So are you asking what 25-35 diverse people can do here in GR? or what a Diverse 25-35 year old individual can do in GR?

Archived