South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

I thought that we needed a post to keep track of all the good things happening for Carolina teams North and South. Everyone please post team info as it comes avalible. For example The Carolina Hurricanes are in the Stanley cup finals and are one win away from bringing the Stanley cup to the Carolinas.Clemson is heading to the College World series ect... Everyone Brag be proud to live in the Carolinas and support our great up and coming sports teams.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it sounds as though the Grrreenville Grrrowl (ECHL) may have a new lease on life. Reports are out that the team is near a deal with the City of Greenville, a bank, and other parties. NO tax dollars will be used to finance the next season. :yahoo:

While I am cautious until the official announcement, I am extremely excited about this information.

^That's definitely good to know.

I just found out that Charleston has an arena football team, the Sandsharks.

Ah yes, Chas got another first of the state of SC. :D The city is home to the Sandsharks, a team under the National Indoor Football League (NIFL) and the first NIFL team in the state. This league shows promise since it is under the NFL, and they market the team far better than the Swamp Foxes who were under AF2 or the arena league. The team does have a website.

They're already calling the coliseum the "Shark Tank", which is pretty cool. I have yet to go to a game, but I will definitely plan on going to one sometime this year. An interesting note about the team: it is partly owned by Miami Dolphins receiver and Chas native, Oronde Gadsden.

WoW!!! I see Jordan teaming up with Bob Johnson for ownership of the Charlotte Bobcats. I also didn't know that Charlotte had the 3rd worst ticket sales in the NBA. And out of 41 games they only sold out 7. :shok:

That is interesting and somewhat surprising, since the Charlotte Hornets were among the league leaders in attendance during early-mid 90's. In fact, I seem to remember a home sellout streak that lasted quite some time. Then George Shinn, the team's owner then, got cheap and either refused to re-sign the big name stars or traded them away. I think the fans lost interest, and thus the reason for the lower attendance numbers the few years before Shinn moved the team to New Orleans.

I figured the Charlotte fans would get on board when the Bobcats began playing, but perhaps the combination of a bad team and bitterness over the Hornets leaving is difficult to overcome.

Bad team=poor attendance. I am sure if the product was better the fans would return. The Hornets made the playoffs on a regular. I'm not worried at all. Look at the Hurricanes. They were not a good team and the attendance showed it. Now they won the cup and I am predicting even more sell outs next season....think about it...the Stanley cup in the carolinas...thats crazy

I wonder if the CAROLINA hurricanes would ever consider playing home games in other citites with the facilities across the Carolinas...? Like one game per capable city in both North and South Carolina.

I know that it would help the Bilo Center a lot. I'd go see our Stanley Cup winners!

The Hurricanes are based out of Raleigh, so they already have one taken care of. I wouldn't mind seeng them play in Columbia for a game or two.

It would be cool for the Panthers to move around the states as well. Maybe a game at all of the major stadiums in both states... which would include Clemson and Columbia in SC.

The Hurricanes are based out of Raleigh, so they already have one taken care of. I wouldn't mind seeng them play in Columbia for a game or two.

It would be cool for the Panthers to move around the states as well. Maybe a game at all of the major stadiums in both states... which would include Clemson and Columbia in SC.

Okay Spartan, you only mentioned Columbia, but I'll take you up plus include Greenville and Charleston on the Carolina Hurricanes tour through Carolina. No point in giving the treat Columbia alone, regardless of preferences. :P

Okay Spartan, you only mentioned Columbia, but I'll take you up plus include Greenville and Charleston on the Carolina Hurricanes tour through Carolina. No point in giving the treat Columbia alone, regardless of preferences. :P

Greenville and Charleston aren't the capital of of one of the two Carolinas, as my reply was intended to reflect.

• 4 months later...

So Clemson pulled out the all purple uni's last night for the first time in 60+ years (I didn't think it had been that long) & dominated GA Tech. What a game!

What a game, indeed! Clemson is ranked in the top 10 in the poll that came out today, and with the way we're playing I think we still might be underrated. Go Tigers!

Really? I thought that they wore purple just a few years ago?

What a game, indeed! Clemson is ranked in the top 10 in the poll that came out today, and with the way we're playing I think we still might be underrated. Go Tigers!

I agree. I think the problem there is that the other top 9 or 10 (depending on which list you are looking at) didn't lose.

Really? I thought that they wore purple just a few years ago?

I agree. I think the problem there is that the other top 9 or 10 (depending on which list you are looking at) didn't lose.

Clemson has not worn all purple uniforms since 1939. In 1991, they wore purple jersey's twice, but added white pants to the mix. The last couple of seasons, the Tigers have occasionally worn purple pants with orange or white tops, but not all purple.

The seniors have been wanting to wear all purple for some time and the team actually warmed up in orange tops and purple pants, but in a way reminiscent of the 1980 South Carolina game when the team wore all orange for the first time, after warm ups, the team found the purple tops at their locker, reports said it was like kids on Christmas to break out the all purple look and there was quite a buzz when they appeared at the top of the hill in all purple.

It must be the purple pants and white tops (and purple helmets) that i'm thinking of. I distinctly remember a few years ago there not being any orange on Clemson, and USC was in black tops and white pants, which just didnt seem right to me. I always want to see the garnet vs orange :)

It must be the purple pants and white tops (and purple helmets) that i'm thinking of. I distinctly remember a few years ago there not being any orange on Clemson, and USC was in black tops and white pants, which just didnt seem right to me. I always want to see the garnet vs orange :)

Clemson has definitely not worn all purple since 1940. The Tigers wore purple jerseys and white pants once in the early '90's when Ken Hatfield was the coach. Then Clemson started wearing purple pants with white jerseys on the road from time to time a few years ago under Bowden. Last year, Clemson wore purple jerseys and orange pants at home against FSU and perhaps in another game.

To my knowledge, Clemson has never worn a purple helmet (not within the last 30-40 years, anyway). The classic orange helmet with white paw has been worn by Clemson since the '70's.

The USC game you are referring to was obviously in Columbia since the Gamecocks were wearing black jerseys. Clemson was wearing white jerseys and purple pants. The helmets were definitely orange, though.

This is probably more info than you wanted, but it answers your question nonetheless. ;)

Clemson has definitely not worn all purple since 1940. The Tigers wore purple jerseys and white pants once in the early '90's when Ken Hatfield was the coach. Then Clemson started wearing purple pants with white jerseys on the road from time to time a few years ago under Bowden. Last year, Clemson wore purple jerseys and orange pants at home against FSU and perhaps in another game.

To my knowledge, Clemson has never worn a purple helmet (not within the last 30-40 years, anyway). The classic orange helmet with white paw has been worn by Clemson since the '70's.

The USC game you are referring to was obviously in Columbia since the Gamecocks were wearing black jerseys. Clemson was wearing white jerseys and purple pants. The helmets were definitely orange, though.

This is probably more info than you wanted, but it answers your question nonetheless. ;)

lol, indeed it does! I'm impressed that you can remember that. Personally, I can't retain when Carolina wore what color uniforms.

1. Clemson has never worn purple helmets, ever. There was a time in the early 20th century when they wore a blue helmet with orange lines, but never purple. That helmet was part of the throwback uniform for the October 7, 1995 vs Georgia, and September 7, 1996 vs Furman games: http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Clemson_OLD2.gif

2. Clemson wore purple jersey's twice in the 1991 season, once for NC State and again for the '92 Citrus Bowl vs. California, a game of which I shall not speak again.

3. Clemson did not wear any purple at all until the 2001 season, when in various games, the team would wear purple pants, usually on the road, like at NC State or Maryland.

4. Clemson has only worn purple jerseys once for a USC game in the modern era, the 2004 Clemson v USC game.

32369728_9a07f695db_b.jpg

5. Clemson wore orange pants at South Carolina in '99, 01, 03 and all white in '05. Never has Clemson worn purple pants at USC in the moder era, though they certainly did during some of the early "Big Thursday" games.

Here is a shot from the '01 game at USC, the only time Clemson has lost to USC in the last 10 years:

6. From 1959 onwards, purple disappeared as a color worn by the athletic teams at Clemson, even though the official school colors are burnt orange and northwest purple and have been since Prof. Walter Riggs came over from Auburn U. in the late 1800's. Purple was dropped because of the way it appeared on B&W TV's against LSU in the '59 Sugar Bowl, and the fabrics of that day tended to fade more over time. Orange and navy blue were very prominent in much of the 70's and 80's. It really wasn't until the Nike contract with the athletic department that purple was revived on campus, and by the football team in 2001, as the reaction to purple was bad in '91, as most anything that was done in the Hatfield era.

7. Since the early 60's, Clemson's uniform's have been orange tops at home and white tops on the road, except beginning with the USC game of Nov. 1980, Clemson begane wearing orange pants for "big" games. Until the '89 USC game, orange pants were reserved for when Clemson was the home team, when in Columbia, Clemson wore orange pants on the road for the first time and won 45-0 against USC. All orange is still considered "big game" worthy, though the senior's decision to wear all purple Saturday night, after warming up in orange jersey and purple pants, might set the standard for a new "big game" uniform.

Archived