South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

^That was some good info there. I think it's only a matter of time before the school really starts throwing its weight behind the athletic programs, which have been seeing a significant amount of success for the past few years. The reasons you gave concerning the school's history and mission are well-taken, and is probably why a football team isn't in sight anytime in the near future.

I asked someone in the Winthrop administration one time what was keeping Winthrop from having a I-AA football program, especially since the high school stadium in Winthrop's backyard could just be refurbished for college use without a great deal of difficulty. The answer I got was that Winthrop needed someone like Robert Brooks.

Brooks, until he died recently, was the founder of Eastern Foods (Hooters chain, among other businesses), and has ties to Clemson and Coastal Carolina. His money built the Brooks Performing Arts Center at Clemson and his multi million dollar gift to Coastal Carolina started their football program (he was a Myrtle Beach resident).

I'm not sure that even if Winthrop had a "sugar daddy" gift like that if it would go towards football, as they might just use it to grow their other sports, but at any rate, not having a gift like that is why football isn't even on the table for discussion for Winthrop.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok - then glad to hear (besides the money), Marshall is moving up. I did look up the Missouri Valley Conference & they are home to some familiar basketball teams - Southern Illinois & Creighton, certainly not the big leagues which is where I expected him to turn up - but an improvement over the big south.

• 4 months later...

Hello again - football is back to the sandlapper state! :)

So far it looks like a good start to USC & Clemson, which so far in the first half FSU looks absolutely pathetic. Nonetheless, Clemson's defense looks impressive, special teams is a huge improvement (despite the blocked punt) but the offense will take a while to get the kinks out.

... (I almost spoke too soon, Clemson nearly lost the game)

The fact that Clemson's first half was nearly perfect became the main reason they ended up winning that game against FSU. Clemson's key will once again be how they perform at quarterback - will they be able to develop a passing game or will they rely entirely on their running game, which obviously has limitations. I have said for awhile now that if they could find a balance in their offence, they could easily be one of the most explosive teams in the nation. Without passing they will disappear later in the season just as they did last year.

Carolina did OK considering that they were missing a lot of key starters and upper classmen (Blake Mitchell) and a lot of freshmen started instead. I didn't actually get to watch it, but its pretty clear that the defense needs some work, and if we're going to beat Georgia this week we'll need to step it up a notch. I hope that next week will be better. Either way, a win's a win, but I am expecting more next week. GA has always been a tough opponent, even for Spurrier.

As for Clemson, I agree with Skyliner 100%. FSU almost pulled it off, and ironically it would have been because of Clemson's safety. Anyway, Clemson is now ranked #25 on the AP poll, and effectively "26th" on the USA Today poll.

Carolina received votes, but no ranking yet. I think we could easily see both teams ranked when the Palmetto Bowl comes around.

Hopefully USC will beat UGA this Saturday - that would rank USC in the top 25. Also of course that would make me happy for 2 SC teams to beat the 2 teams I hate the most, UGA & FSU. I would be curious though to see what tricks Spurrier comes up with, he might not admit it - but USC has to beat UGA to get the season started & to seriously compete in the SEC. Sure, a win - no matter who it is - is a win, but for USC to get to the next level beating UGA is essential (just as they beat Tennessee & Florida last year).

As for Clemson - I didn't realize it, but they did have a varied offensive attack. Total yards & first downs were similar between rushing & passing. But what really made the biggest impact for Clemson's offense was the starting line of scrimmage. Clemson was incapable of running a consistent long yardage series - though chewing up 5 minutes on one series in the 4th quarter helped a lot. Lastly, special teams was an improvement, but those 2 huge mistakes were unbearable.

But, just as Clemson's best years - it is their defense that keeps them in competition.

Hot diggity Dawg! Glad we won. I didn't see the game because I was in the Big Apple, but I'm glad we beat ole uga.

That is no excuse to not see the game, I was in the hospital the day after my daughter was born (Friday morning) & I still saw the game!

Plus - I'm a Clemson fan! ;)

This has to be the first time both Clemson and Carolina has been ranked in quite a while.Way to go South Carolina college sports.

It's the first time since mid November of 2005, after USC beat Florida and Clemson beat Florida State, but USC quickly fell out again the next week after losing to Clemson.

Clemson spent the first half of last year ranked, up to #10 at one point, I don't believe S. Carolina was ranked at the end of the season.

The last time that both schools finished the year ranked was 2000.

Furman and Wofford are ranked in the I-AA poll this week, with the Paladins dropping after their loss to Hoftstra Saturday night.

It is pretty cool that USC is playing SC State this week - I don't think Clemson has ever played them. I'm only aware of Furman, Wofford & Citadel as well as Presbyterian back in the early 1900's. Though many people dismiss games against lower division opponents as simply sugar coating the schedule, it does help teams like USC & Clemson try out new things (like Clemson's QB can really pass against LA-Monroe) as well as bankrolling the entire football season for the smaller opponent. Hopefully Clemson & USC can keep scheduling the lower division teams in-state.

It is pretty cool that USC is playing SC State this week - I don't think Clemson has ever played them. I'm only aware of Furman, Wofford & Citadel as well as Presbyterian back in the early 1900's. Though many people dismiss games against lower division opponents as simply sugar coating the schedule, it does help teams like USC & Clemson try out new things (like Clemson's QB can really pass against LA-Monroe) as well as bankrolling the entire football season for the smaller opponent. Hopefully Clemson & USC can keep scheduling the lower division teams in-state.

I believe Clemson is scheduled to play SC State for the first time ever in 2009. Even Coastal Carolina has a possible date on the future schedule.

Lower tier games definitely serve a purpose, as they give the smaller school some more exposure and guaranteed revenue in addition to what you said. But I think people dismiss them because they are assured wins, therefore less exciting (unless you're Michigan).

I am very glad to hear James Davis say he plans to be back next season. He also is hoping to see Upstate native and star rookie Will Korn play more as a running back, much like Tebow down at Florida. The outlook for the Tigers is tremendous if they can keep it together throughout this season - they have no excuse for failure barring any major injuries. Looking at the returning team, plus the great recruits already lined up for next year (and even the following year), Clemson fans should be excited to witness a solid program continue to grow in stature. :shades:

The legislature has been putting some pressure on Clemson and USC to schedule I AA programs (I refuse to call it by its new designation) since the approval of 12 game schedules. It's really more of trend nationwide to schedule local colleges as well.

Larger programs want a 7th, and sometimes 8th home game due to the revenue produced because of the financial strain of non income producing and expanding athletic programs, so gauranteed home games are better for the overall athletic program than home and home series with similar matched IA programs for a 12 game.

Neither Clemson or USC has played SC State before, in recent decades because the program was barely a Division I program, and unless given a special exemption (like Clemson v NAIA Wofford in 1981) a Division IA school cannot play a Division II school.

Clemson has a long history of playing Furman (oldest opponent going back to 1896 in Greenville) and The Citadel. Wofford has only played Clemson twice, once as a NAIA member, another time in 2001 as a IAA member of the Southern Conference. At one point, they were all members of the Southern Conference. USC hasn't played The Citadel since the Bulldogs beat them in 1991. USC helped Furman to open Sirrine Stadium in Greenville, at the time the largest stadium in the state, in the mid 1930's, and the two have played numerous times since then.

IAA programs have lower financial expectations than even non BCS conference schools, like LA Monroe or LA Lafayette, though like I said with a 12 game schedule, a bidding war has developed for the games, going as high as $800K, though Furman and SC State should get something in the $300K range for this Saturday's games, which go a long way towards funding non revenue sports at both institutions. And since Clemson and USC are going to be playing IAA teams anyhow, might as well keep that money instate.

Archived