South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

No way to tell really.

Anyway the Gamecocks rallied and pulled the rug out from under the Tigers today in Littlejohn Coliseum 58-55 in front of a good crowd, winning their second in a row and extending their lead in the series, with a rusty Bruce Ellington.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Football season starts next week! Several teams in South Carolina have made preseason ranking lists:

Carolina is ranked #9 in both the AP and the Coaches poll

Clemson is ranked #14 in both

Wofford is ranked #9 in the FCS consolidated poll

SC State comes in at #29

I will state as I usually do that I don't particularly care for preseason polls, but it's still an exciting prediction of the coming season!

• 2 months later...

A very interesting poll in the Wall Street Journal today that suggests Carolina is the most popular team in SC. Click the link to see the nationwide poll that includes all other states where there are two FBS colleges and universities. It should be noted that I am inferring "Other" as the difference between the two polls for Clemson and Carolina.

Which team do you prefer?

Carolina: 52%

Clemson: 25%

Other: 23%

Among Democrats?

Carolina: 49%

Clemson: 26%

Other: 25%

Among Republicans?

Carolina: 58%

Clemson: 25%

Other: 22%

Among people 18-29?

Carolina: 56%

Clemson: 18%

Other: 26%

The margin of people's preference of USC over Clemson is interesting to me. I suppose at the core it is a function of Carolina having a larger student body and satellite campuses. Over the years that adds up. I also have to wonder if there is a correlation to the number of instate versus out of state students at each one. I would be interested to know if others have any thoughts as to why these numbers are what they are.

The Gamecocks, minus their star running back and playing their second-team quarterback on the road in Clemson's version of Death Valley, beat the Tigers for the fourth year in a row. Is Clemson, 10-2 on the season, going to fire Dabo?

What for? Having two back to back 10 win seasons? Showing that the program deserves the indoor practice field being constructed on now? or other sport venue improvements? Getting Venables from Oklahoma? (yes, I know, but it takes time, and players for a defense to improve).

Carolina has had a great season and continues to rise as a program. The Gamecocks were (briefly) in the national championship discussion for the first time in 30 years. They defeated two top 10 programs handedly (Georgia, Clemson), and continued to set new records under Spurrier. Soundly crushing the Tigers for yet another year is the best consolation prize I could ask for since we aren't going to the SEC Championship game.

Clemson has had a good season too. They have proven that they are a solid team, though for some reason they haven't shown up against quality competition. I don't think that means they need to fire anyone. They are still the team to beat in the ACC along with Florida State. They did need to fire Steele (the former Defensive Coordinator), but Venebles seems to be doing a better job so far.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Frank Martin is building a great future for Gamecock basketball, starting with the #24 recruiting class, complete with 4 & 5 star players! I'm betting next season will be a significant step forward for this program.

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/southcarolinagamecocks/2013/05/21/frank-martin-takes-south-carolina-to-the-top-25-in-basketball-recruiting/

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm glad that this is the last year of the BCS.

Carolina has a better resume than Clemson this year, period. 2-1 against ranked teams, and an OOC schedule that included 3 teams in BCS level conferences (UNC, UCF, CU). I quite frankly think it's ridiculous that Clemson is going to a BCS bowl. The Tigers dominated a weak conference, and yet when it came down to the key games of the season, they couldn't hang. I hope for Clemson's sake that Ohio State doesn't beat the tar out of them too bad.

I want to emphasize that I'm not implying that I think Carolina should be going to a BCS game. The Gamecocks didn't do anything to earn that right. They didn't take care of business against Tennessee (and let's be honest, of our two losses, that one stung the most), and because of that, didn't get a chance to play for the SEC title. On top of that, Auburn has that rare combination of great talent a good luck this year, so even if Carolina had gone to the SEC Championship it's likely that we would have lost and ended up in the Cotton Bowl where Missouri is playing. I don't know much about Wisconsin, but I hope that our players can be consistent and end the season with a win. 11-2 is nothing to be ashamed of.

Good luck to both teams, and here's to 5 years of bragging rights!  :thumbsup:

Archived