South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

I still think Clemson will make it into the NCAA tournemant, but I get the feeling in typical Clemson tradition - they're chocking. Starting off great & building a big ego (just like the football season last year) & then facing some adversity, then completely collapsing.

But - gvillesc is right, there are still a good number of ACC games left & in college basketball - you never know what will happen.

While this past football season was definitely inline with the "theory" that "Clemson starts off strong, but then slows down," I cannot agree with this statement as a whole, since Tommy Bowden's Tigers have performed to the contrary - until last season. If anything, I would say this past season was a major hiccup in the typical Bowden-era flow of starting slow, but finishing strong. Now if you're talking basketball only, there may something to your argument, although Clemson has had late season runs in the recent past.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this past football season was definitely inline with the "theory" that "Clemson starts off strong, but then slows down," I cannot agree with this statement as a whole, since Tommy Bowden's Tigers have performed to the contrary - until last season. If anything, I would say this past season was a major hiccup in the typical Bowden-era flow of starting slow, but finishing strong. Now if you're talking basketball only, there may something to your argument, although Clemson has had late season runs in the recent past.

Under Coach Bowden, Clemson has started strong and finished weak 3 times, started off slow and finished strong 3 times and two times there hasn't bee a clear pattern, since he assumed his current position after the 1998 season.

Even in bad years, Clemson usually puts together a strong November and December because they rarely play an early season schedule with difficult games. This year, and the recent skid notwithstanding, it is fairly clear that this is a much stronger Clemson basketball team than has taken the court in ten years (it's been nine since they have made the NCAA's). The team has a week off ahead, which is probably what they need.

I still think Clemson will make it into the NCAA tournemant, but I get the feeling in typical Clemson tradition - they're chocking. Starting off great & building a big ego (just like the football season last year) & then facing some adversity, then completely collapsing.

But - gvillesc is right, there are still a good number of ACC games left & in college basketball - you never know what will happen.

It is important to remember that Clemson was picked to finish near the bottom of the ACC in basketball this year during the preseason. Coach Purnell has done a great job, increasing our win total each of his 3 years here. This year will give us yet another increase, and a likely NCAA berth. Our RPI is currently #10 in the nation - not too shabby. There are 8 ACC teams in the top 40 of the RPI. It's a tough conference!

Don't think I wasn't aware of that - I am completely surprised that Clemson is doing as well as they are. Even though they did have 3 major college teams to play before the ACC season began, they were mostly push overs (especially USC). That has been an issue for Clemson for decades that many people exploit - that Clemson pads their pre-ACC basketball season with easy wins. It obviously got Clemson this far with the help of an average ACC basketball year. Yet when push comes to shove, Clemson is now enduring an ACC season that even when it is in a down year is still tough.

I'm not complaining how well they are - just pointing out that if they want to be respected as a legitimate top 25 team, they need to beat another top 25 team & win more games against teams like UVA.

Winthrop getting more props -

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/stor...&id=2747455

But the reason why it took Marshall 10 minutes to find his car on Saturday was due to the fact that the Eagles' basketball sellout total now stands at one. For the first time ever, all the seats in the Coliseum were taken, filled with screaming fans wearing gold and red "Beat Coastal" shirts and wildly waving every piece of loose paper and fabric they could find. A decade ago, insects outnumbered fans at Winthrop games, but six league championships and several NCAA near-misses later, there isn't a place to sit or park.

And if anyone has been to the coliseum, it is very big for a town the size of RH & a college the size of Winthrop.

You have probably all heard about that 'racist' party they threw at Clemson. Well, it finally made it to the front page of CNN.com: http://www.cnn.com/2007/EDUCATION/02/02/cl...y.ap/index.html What are your thoughts and opinions on this issue? Also, i'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but I put it here because I couldn't find any other place to put it.

You can talk about that in the 'confederate flag rekindled' topic. This has nothing to do with sports. Thats where the discussion has been for the past few days since it made the headlines.

Oh, ok. I haven't been reading that thread the last couple of days, so I didn't know it would be under that. Thanks for the info, Spartan.

^ I'm not sure about that - I remember it came as a shock to everyone in the late 80's when Winthrop won the Big South tournament. I just checked espn - the are 19-4!

Clemson... they better break their 3 game losing streak to FSU, though that is a comparable match up. But then, besides Miami & Wake Forest - the rest of the schedule will be tough.

What the heck is going on with Clemson these days? Oliver Purnell gets tossed during the game and they lose again. Why does Clemson do this every year? They start off strong then drop flat on their face. :wacko:

I couldn't believe they ejected Oliver. He's so mild mannered and does not get upset easily. So, for him to be outraged says something about the officiating, IMO.

Clemson does this every year in basketball because they play the ACC games at this point. We'll more than likely drop out of the polls this week, but we haven't just totally lost it. I might just be optimistic, but we're 4-5 in conference play. Clemson's not out of the hunt just yet. :thumbsup:

I'm completely satisfied with 4-5 in ACC play, in a year when nothing was expected out of us. Clemson should finish the regular season in the middle of the conference with over 20 wins. Not bad at all - that & a win or 2 in the ACC tournament should get us into the NCAA tournament.

Charleston has the Port, which sustains the rest of the state by providing a crucial link to the rest of the world. The Upstate sells itself on Charleston's existance. Lets not forget about MUSC. Its a university that isn't as broad as USC or Clemson, but its still research oriented to some extent.

This brings up an interesting question though- why does Charleston not have a large division 1 university? Charleston of the Citadel are great historic schools and well respected, but neither of them are very large. All of its contemporary cities have large universities (or highly regarded ones).... any thoughts?

You would be suprised.. CofC is not that small.. just a couple thousand less than Clemson's undergrad. I guess they just dont feel like making the jump.

The posts from here forward related to CofC are based on the quote above, which came from the economic development thread. -Spartan

More specifically, I meant "Division I-A" Charleston and the Citadel are both Division I. I did some research on the Division I status, and basicly the subdivisions (like AA) are only relevant in football. You have to be able to maintain 15,000 fans in attendance per game. Still, I wonder why there isn't a football program at Charleston?

You would be suprised.. CofC is not that small.. just a couple thousand less than Clemson's undergrad. I guess they just dont feel like making the jump.

Charleston really should have something bigger, though. Greenville Tech is expected to surpass Clemson by 5,000 in 2011, reaching an enrollment of 20,000. Of course, it's not your average technical college and by this time it will possibly be a public four year institution. Charleston is going to be left out in terms of college population before long in comparision to our other metros, IMO.

Charleston really should have something bigger, though. Greenville Tech is expected to surpass Clemson by 5,000 in 2011, reaching an enrollment of 20,000. Of course, it's not your average technical college and by this time it will possibly be a public four year institution. Charleston is going to be left out in terms of college population before long in comparision to our other metros, IMO.

Wow didn't know that. How many people are enrolled at Clemson... Clemson is know nationally that's a pretty big projection for a tech school and a school that's know nationally. I wonder who came up with those figures???

Clemson has an enrollment of around 17,000 (grad & undergrad). It is the university's policy to keep it at that level too, so I wouldn't expect to see it increase significantly. But Clemson's undergrad is around 13,000-14,000 so maybe thats where that 5,000 figure came from.

I believe Trident tech is around 12,000 and was trying to establish some 4-year programs but the state wouldnt let them.

Archived