South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

What makes you think spurrier has a chip on his shoulder... he is simply on a different level of coaches than Bowden. USC didn't raise his pay because he won 8 games (7 at the time) but because everyone else was trying to take him and USC wanted/needed to keep him. Spurrier is recognized as one of the best coaches of all times (by most). Tommy is still looked at as Bobby's son who went 11-0 at Tulane. If you watched the coverage of their Bowl, everytime they spoke of Tommy they also mentioned that he was Bobby's son.

I just don't see in the future ESPN talking about Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Spurrier, Pete Carrol, and then Tommy Bowden. Clemson can do better. (Be prepared to be shocked because this is a USC fan saying this) The talent IS there to be #1... and with a top 25 recruiting season like they have had, they will be even better next year. It could be time for a new coach to lead the team.

And I am sorry if it offended anyone that I called Tommy a whiny baby, thats just the way he comes off in the articles and I can't feasibly make the trip to Clemson go meet him in person. That and the fact that I'm from USC so I would probably catch on fire or something just by walking on the campus :P

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol superpope, despite that popular belief, you don't catch fire. Your retina's get burned by all that orange though ;)

Spurrier was originally offered a $2 million contract, but said instead took $1.5 million and split the rest among his other coaches. He was offered what I think is a token gesture of a pay raise to show good faith towards him as rumors were flying about his taking a job at Miami or Alabama. It had nothing to do with the number of wins he's had at Carolina so far.

As for next year, lets wait and see. We won't be number one for sure, but I think we will suprise a lot of people.

Clemson's problem is that their fans don't take losses very well. When they lost to VA Tech people were calling for Bowden's head. Thats an exaggeration of course, but you get my point. That in turn makes the coach's job less secure. Clemson has a lot of good players coming its way, so they have just as much potential to do well next year as they did this year.

Clemson needs to axe the offensive coordinator, not Bowden. Bowden can take Clemson to a National Championship, you're right the talent is there, we just need some shuffling of the coaches under Bowden. We'll see...

I can't wait to watch Korn and the future Clemson squads takes shape and get better, as Spurrier pushes USC to get better, too. It's going to make for a GREAT matchup/rivalry and one that should receive a lot of national attention! People will say Ohio State or Michigan and WHO!?

And props to Clemson's basketball team for starting ACC play tonight with a road win against a talented FSU team. 15-0!!! :shades:

Clemson had to lose eventually, unfortunately I had a bad feeling with Maryland just losing the previous game to lowly Miami & Clemson already having won the majority of the last games - that playing AT Maryland was going to be tough. Yet, Clemson lost by only 5 - though Maryland dominated most of the game.

Next game - will be Clemson's second chance at proving they are legitimate, UNC doesn't lose 2 in a row often.

Clemson had to lose eventually, unfortunately I had a bad feeling with Maryland just losing the previous game to lowly Miami & Clemson already having won the majority of the last games - that playing AT Maryland was going to be tough. Yet, Clemson lost by only 5 - though Maryland dominated most of the game.

Next game - will be Clemson's second chance at proving they are legitimate, UNC doesn't lose 2 in a row often.

It had to come eventually. And the timing couldn't be better. The team should be fired up for UNC (I know the fans will be). The Tar Heels should get a good run for their money on Wednesday. GO TIGERS!

I would love for nothing MORE than for Clemson to beat UNC.

In other news, today's USC vs. Florida game was the first time I really got a chance to see Tre Kelly in action in depth, and the dude is nice. Too bad USC lost. I hear Kelly also kind of "went off" on his teammates.

Clemson should still be in the top 15 ranking range because they went 1-1 on the road this week in the ACC, so they're in good shape. The Clemson v UNC game should be a nice match-up. There isn't a ticket to be found anywhere, believe me, I've tried. When the crowd is loud and packed, Littlejohn can have the same sort of affect that Duke's Cameron does on opposing teams, because of the building's design. Clemson seems to be a top 4 ACC team at this point, which astounds me.

Winthrop is now 13-4 and considered at the top of the non majors in NCAA basketball. They should be set to make another NCAA run (6th in 8 years).

USC had a rough week. It's hard to tell where they are now because of injuries, and player development, like with Tre Kelly. I'd expect their February to be a lot better than they're January, but another NIT run may be in the cards for them.

Furman, Coastal, Charleston So., are struggling. Col. of Charleston seems to be responding well to what Coach Cremins is trying to teach them. Should be nice to see if they can make a So. Con. championship run.

UNC has to get credit. They're a very good team. Unfortunately Clemson got out of control in the fast pace of play. It's alright though. 3-2 in the ACC and 17-2 is not bad at all. All we need is a ticket to the Big Dance in March-- which should be attainable by doing better than 8-8 in the conference. :thumbsup:

GO TIGERS!

N Car did well. As much as I wanted them to loose, they out played Clemson. I think they had something to proove after loosing to VA Tech. The great thing for me though is that regardless of whether Clemson wins or looses its a good game for me. I still don't like North Carolina though.

Clemson will continue to struggle as long as they shoot so horribly at the free throw line. Not only will that be the cause of losses in close games, but their occasional poor performance from the field only makes it harder to compete - as was the case last night. If they improve their free throw percentage, and work on being more consistent from the field, they could definitely become a major threat in the NCAA tournament. It's much harder to actually improve those things during the season though.

The Gamecock men's basketball team is a disgrace to the state of South Carolina right now. Not only getting miserably blown out three games in a row, but the last one being the worst loss since 1915! What is going on down in Columbia? :blink:

Clemson will continue to struggle as long as they shoot so horribly at the free throw line. Not only will that be the cause of losses in close games, but their occasional poor performance from the field only makes it harder to compete - as was the case last night. If they improve their free throw percentage, and work on being more consistent from the field, they could definitely become a major threat in the NCAA tournament. It's much harder to actually improve those things during the season though.

The Gamecock men's basketball team is a disgrace to the state of South Carolina right now. Not only getting miserably blown out three games in a row, but the last one being the worst loss since 1915! What is going on down in Columbia? :blink:

A team of one incredible senior stand-out, one senior disappointment, and the rest babies, little biddies with no experience.

A disgrace to South Carolina? Thats a little extreme, Skyliner. I think your Tiger bias may be showing there. The Gamecocks are definitely not having a good year in conference games so far. But you have to consider that our conference losses were to #2 Florida, Kentucky (perennially good team, even unranked), and Georgia, who we always seem to have trouble against, its much more understandable. The season is still young, so I'm willing to wait it out for now. But if things dont pick up soon, we may not even make the NIT.

Clemson's teams have a noticable pattern- they get momentum going quickly, but as soon as its broken its like all hope is lost. The embarrasing loss to N Car is a perfect example of that. Clemson needs to hit more 3 pointers as well as free throws. And what about defense? I didn't see too much of that when it counted. I think some of it was just better coaching on NC's side. They are a great bball team. There is still hope though. Clemson has a talented bunch and a good coach. If they can stop the embarrasing losses there is lots of tournament potential. I am concerned though... Boston College and Duke are next week. Should be interesting.

Clemson's teams have a noticable pattern- they get momentum going quickly, but as soon as its broken its like all hope is lost. The embarrasing loss to N Car is a perfect example of that. Clemson needs to hit more 3 pointers as well as free throws. And what about defense? I didn't see too much of that when it counted. I think some of it was just better coaching on NC's side. They are a great bball team. There is still hope though. Clemson has a talented bunch and a good coach. If they can stop the embarrasing losses there is lots of tournament potential. I am concerned though... Boston College and Duke are next week. Should be interesting.

I think your inner-gamecock is showing thorugh. Clemson plays BC on saturday who lost 2 great players yesterday. Their hopes of an ACC title are said to be gone. We have a more than good chance at taking them down at home. Duke isn't invincible any more. As long as they beat Wake this weekend, we can beat them on Thursday. BC, Virginia, FSU, Maryland, Duke, and Miami are the rest of our home games. Littlejohn is a tough place to play, so at home we can beat anyone if we shoot well. We won't lose more than 2 of those, I don't think. Add in a few of the road games as wins: Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake, BC, and VT.

Our wins as I'm predicting: BC, Virginia, FSU, Maryland, at GT, at Wake, at BC. The others aren't impossible, but these are most likely to me. That's 9 conference wins and Clemson's ticket to NCAA tournament. :yahoo:

I don't think any SC team has advanced past the first round of the tournament since Clemson made the sweet sixteen 10 years ago. This year, Clemson and Winthrop could do that, depends on who they play of course. I'm afraid the ACC this year is a race for second place as North Carolina is far and away better than the rest of the league. South Carolina does need to do something to stop the hemorrhaging soon. And baseball practice has started too, with three South Carolina colleges ranked in the opening polls: Clemson and USC in the top five and Winthrop pulling up the rear.

Archived