South Carolina College Sports

jfl25

There was an article a few days ago about Clemson's current enrollment of incoming Freshmen being the highest number ever for the University. If someone finds it before I do, please post the link.

This is last year's record applications

CofC might not be doing that bad.. it might start being ranked better soon...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This information was in a January 26 article in The Greenville News. It is currently archived, and must be purchased online to read, but I have the hard copy and summarized one paragraph for you:

Clemson's current number of applications is 13,147, breaking the previous record of 12,784, set last year. The admissions director expects another 1,000 applications before the May 1 deadline.

This information was in a January 22 article in The Greenville News. It is currently archived, and must be purchased online to read, but I have the hard copy and summarized one paragraph for you:

Clemson's current number of applications is 13,147, breaking the previous record of 12,784, set last year. The admissions director expects another 1,000 applications before the May 1 deadline.

That's a lot of rejection letters :ph34r:

Charleston really should have something bigger, though...Charleston is going to be left out in terms of college population before long in comparision to our other metros, IMO.

Uhh, with C of C having 12,000 students (3rd largest university in SC), my alma mater The Citadel (2,000 cadets and 2,500 graduate students), MUSC with 4,000 students, and the growing newcomer Chas Southern with 3,000 students, I think this statement is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. Chas is a college town, but unlike its other comparable metros, it is not dominated by one college or another.

MUSC, C of C, and The Citadel once had talks about creating the University of Charleston to form what would be a Division I-A school, including football. Luckily, it never happened.

^^^USC looks like they'll have a good team this year and might be able to beat Clemson, but I highly doubt they'll be able to beat Florida. How did it come about that you like USC over Clemson if you're from Clemson, Spartan?

I believe he's a grad student at Clemson, but an alumnus of Carolina.

I live in Clemson because I'm in grad school. I'm from Spartanburg. We beat Florida last year, and we should have beaten them this year. They just had a very fortunate field goal block. Florida has the #1 recruiting class so it will be a tough fight. Clemson should be a piece of cake ;)

So how about those Gamecocks? Carolina has the #6 recruiting class in the nation, and they just recruited a four-star tight end who was debating whether to go to USC or UNCCH... Its going to be a great season for the Gamecocks! :yahoo:

The Gators and the Tigers better watch out this year.... oh, and Clemson too.

Recruiting rankings and $2 will get you over priced burnt coffee at Starbucks.

I live in Clemson because I'm in grad school. I'm from Spartanburg. We beat Florida last year, and we should have beaten them this year. They just had a very fortunate field goal block. Florida has the #1 recruiting class so it will be a tough fight. Clemson should be a piece of cake ;)

Oh, I didn't know you were in grad school. Sounds cool. :thumbsup: I'm a huge Clemson fan and am taking a transfer program for there, so you can guess who i'm rooting for. :silly:

Recruiting rankings and $2 will get you over priced burnt coffee at Starbucks.

:lol: Very true.

The University of Charleston is CofC's grad school.

Charleston is itself a large enough college, it just needs to start a football program. If the Citadel can support a Div. I football team, so can Charleston. My comment before was really geared toward the lack of a Clemson or Carolina level football program more than a large student population.

I didn't know $2 could get you anything at Starbucks to start with. Good to know ;)

I think I've followed recruiting rankings most of my life. I think I'm on the wagon about them at this point. I'm a Clemson fan and have seen ranking guys praise your crop to no end and nothing happens, and I've seen lowly ranked classes end up being something. I've kept an eye on programs like Georgia or USC or Tennessee as well and have seen the same thing happen. Supposedly Clemson has a nice recruiting class coming in. I'll believe it when I see it.

It's a hard thing to follow...

Thats true. And really it all depends on what happens Wednesday anyway... there's tons of variables. But as a USC alumni, its great to see my alma mater above so many of the teams that have routinely beaten us in the past, and above other more "reputable" programs even though this doesn't really mean that much.

The real story here is not that we have an all star recruiting class- the best in Carolina's history- but that Spurrier is able to recruit them, which means people believe in what he can do. This will ultimately mean a better Gamecock team, one that is respected and not cast aside, one that can win consistantly, and one that can win the SEC and perhaps be in contention for a national title in my lifetime. Signs are pointing up...

What a game, indeed! Clemson is ranked in the top 10 in the poll that came out today, and with the way we're playing I think we still might be underrated. Go Tigers!

LOL My how quickly things change. :)

I just checked out the sports forum today for the first time, and this post just struck me. Of course the GT game was the beginning of the end for Clemson. Goes to show, you should never get too high or too low. Things can change very quickly. (A lesson I'm trying to remember since things seem to be going the Gamecocks way these days. Things can change in the blink of a eye.)

I just checked out the sports forum today for the first time, and this post just struck me. Of course the GT game was the beginning of the end for Clemson. Goes to show, you should never get too high or too low. Things can change very quickly. (A lesson I'm trying to remember since things seem to be going the Gamecocks way these days. Things can change in the blink of a eye.)

Of course, the 'Cocks are in far worse shape than the Tigers presently. This has got to be the most embarassing season ever for them. And to think some of the people on here actually thought they could beat Clemson in Columbia. Yep, how quickly things change. :lol:

Of course, the 'Cocks are in far worse shape than the Tigers presently. This has got to be the most embarassing season ever for them. And to think some of the people on here actually thought they could beat Clemson in Columbia. Yep, how quickly things change. :lol:

This Gamecock basketball team is a long way from Steve Newton ball in the early 90's. I don't think much was expected of Gamecock basketball this year, too many injuries, loss of a key player early to the NBA, etc. I don't know if they'll be much better next season, but their struggles this year aren't surprising.

Who'da thunk it. A Clempson fan trying to talk trash about basketball. LOL I guess when your football team collapses, you grab at whatever you can...even a basketball team that is in the throws of a similar collapse. :)

"Someone in the upstate is lying"...Steve Spurrier

Clemp.jpg

How bout Carolina baseball (and that team from the upstate)... Carolina's ranked No. 1 in the Baseball Writers Poll ( http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/ ), Clemson #1 and Carolina #2 in the Collegiate Baseball Poll ( http://www.baseballnews.com/polls/divI/currentpolldivI.htm ), and Clemson's #1, Fake Carolina #2, and Real Carolina #3 in the Baseball America Poll ( http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/colle...p25/263348.html ).

It's very early in the season, but still nice to be rank so high...

They have to get it where they can, since they lost the Palmetto Bowl ;)

And lets congradulate SC for being home to 3 baseball teams in the top 25 this week, and to Clemson for being #1 while having played zero games. I'm really suprised SC is not more of a baseball state, given our highly ranked teams.

Ranks from Collegiate, America

#1, #1 - Clemson 0-0

#3, #2 - USC - 3-0

#25 - NR - Winthrop 4-2

I prefer the Collegiate rankings this week, since it has more teams from SC.

They have to get it where they can, since they lost the Palmetto Bowl ;)

And lets congradulate SC for being home to 3 baseball teams in the top 25 this week, and to Clemson for being #1 while having played zero games. I'm really suprised SC is not more of a baseball state, given our highly ranked teams.

Ranks from Collegiate, America

#1, #1 - Clemson 0-0

#3, #2 - USC - 3-0

#25 - NR - Winthrop 4-2

I prefer the Collegiate rankings this week, since it has more teams from SC.

Spartan...I actually think SC is a pretty big baseball state. We have some of the highest attendance of college baseball in the country, and that will only increase when the new stadium on the river in Columbia opens next year. Or did you mean 'baseball state" as in minor league baseball? I'll admit I don't have much interest in that.

Also, you live in Clempson and are a Gamecock fan??? Good Lord, I couldn't imagine! :)

Who'da thunk it. A Clempson fan trying to talk trash about basketball. LOL I guess when your football team collapses, you grab at whatever you can...even a basketball team that is in the throws of a similar collapse. :)

"Someone in the upstate is lying"...Steve Spurrier

Clemp.jpg

I have to admit, and I know its mean, but I almost fell in the floor laughing at those pictures. :yahoo:

Also, spartan is a grad of Carolina doing his grad school work at clemson.

One more thing, I have always thought of SC being a nice baseball state. We seem to always have at least one team in the runnings at the end of the year, and the baseball games at Carolina seem to always have a great crowd at them

Archived