I'm not old!

damus

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could hear that?! Im a little younger than you and I got nothing :blush: I was watching the Todays Show this morning and they "played" the sound. I asked my younger brother if he heard it and he said yes. It was like a low to high ring as he described it. I was dumbfounded and stumped for the rest of the morning :lol:

I asked my younger brother if he heard it and he said yes. It was like a low to high ring as he desrcibed it. I was dumbfounded and stumped for the rest of the morning :lol:

It's just a high pitched noise, I guess. Higher than the noise a mosquito makes when it gets in your ear, but similar.

I think the kids just screwed themselves bringing this to the limelight. This noise was first used in England to keep punk kids out of places. Soon enough they'll be playing this at liquor stores and any parents who want alone time can just crank of the stereo full blast.

http://www.jetcityorange.com/toys/17KHz.wav

It's just a high pitched noise, I guess. Higher than the noise a mosquito makes when it gets in your ear, but similar.

I think the kids just screwed themselves bringing this to the limelight. This noise was first used in England to keep punk kids out of places. Soon enough they'll be playing this at liquor stores and any parents who want alone time can just crank of the stereo full blast.

Ahh, that one was different, the one they played on the Todays Show was different. They used different pitches in the rings according to the people they interviewed. So Im not as old as I thought.

After listening to it a couple times, Ive got a headache. That would drive me nuts if it was on my cell phone ring :lol:

After listening to it a couple times, Ive got a headache. That would drive me nuts if it was on my cell phone ring :lol:

I just posted a link to an MSNBC article about it. There's a webcast of a MessNBC telecast where they play a different tone that sounds a lot lower.

I couldn't here the one in the video, but I could very faintly hear the one in that recording. I'm only 18 but I guess that blasting music so loud has already screwed my hears up.

Huh? Sonny speak up! What? No, I don't have any gold. What? I sold what now? Oh come on speak into this ear... mold?

I'm old... :blush: I saw on our NBC station a report on this and I heard nothing on the tv. I didn't hear anything either on that MSNBC video... but I did hear that wav file and that is annoying!

Wow, I just heard it from the .wav file as well. Pheew... I thought I was getting old.

Dang, that really hurt my ears. I'd get tired of that really fast... surely that can't be good for the kids' ears. Reminds me of when I was a teenager and I'd go to all the heavy metal concerts and stand right next to the huge speakers at the edge of the stage. Ouch.

I can hear it at first, but then it seems to go away. If that was my ringtone, I would never hear my phone.

That is crazy. Why would you even want that on your phone to begin with. I can't stand listening to it for more than a half second.

it does depend on the ability of the speakers it's played on... i don't think it'd work well on most cell phones, but maybe the ones that play actual downloaded music... they have better speakers than most (although they're still crappy speakers by most standards).

for the record, i ddint' hear that wav file... but i have a fan going and my speakers are crap (i turn up the volume and i hear a lot of white noise).

Just a warning, Jim, your computer might have a ghost.

Oh, sorry, that post probably should have been placed in the 'Paranormal' topic. :D

i hear more white noise when i move my mouse... they're really cheap $5 speakers... lots of interference.

(that was an awful movie by the way)

• 1 month later...

Archived