Big Box Retailers in the Triangle... bad news?

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We over in Orange County ARE fighting Wal-Mart tooth and nail. Unfortunately they are trying to build a new one across the line in Chatham County. People have to realize that Wal-Mart does not provide economic development to areas (contrary to their PR). Jobs that pay $6 don't stimulate the economy. As much as I can't stand Wal-Mart, I also fault the people that shop there.

I don't see why people would welcome Target and not Wal-Mart. I mean Target is essentially doing the same thing Wal-Mart is, Wal-Mart is just bigger. Do you honestly think that a Target in Raleigh starts employees off at $10/hr? No, they start at $7-$7.5O just like Wal-Mart. If you are going to say bad things about Wal-Mart then say it about other discount stores, and all the big box sprawl mess out there. No reason to pick on a single company, it's not like they are the only big box out there paying low salaries and hurting the local retailers. Anytime you have any kind of national retailer the local guy tends to get hurt unless they can offer something different.

I don't see why people would welcome Target and not Wal-Mart. I mean Target is essentially doing the same thing Wal-Mart is, Wal-Mart is just bigger. Do you honestly think that a Target in Raleigh starts employees off at $10/hr? No, they start at $7-$7.5O just like Wal-Mart. If you are going to say bad things about Wal-Mart then say it about other discount stores, and all the big box sprawl mess out there. No reason to pick on a single company, it's not like they are the only big box out there paying low salaries and hurting the local retailers. Anytime you have any kind of national retailer the local guy tends to get hurt unless they can offer something different.

first of all target starts everyone off at 6.50, i worked there awhile back so take it from me.

second of all, im well aware that target is the essentially the same thing as wal mart. How about a shopping center be built there instead of target or wal mart, that would be the best thing for the area.

that was funny. :D

seriously tho, is the solution to just throw a wal mart there? This is why wal mart has become so succesful, because it exploits the people in these areas. Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SOLUTION. As for business's in this area, i really dont know, maybe they should turn it into a park or something. anything but wal-mart. I also think the local government should be stepping in and putting their foot down so this wal-mart does not happen.

that was funny. :D

seriously tho, is the solution to just throw a wal mart there? This is why wal mart has become so succesful, because it exploits the people in these areas. Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SOLUTION. As for business's in this area, i really dont know, maybe they should turn it into a park or something. anything but wal-mart. I also think the local government should be stepping in and putting their foot down so this wal-mart does not happen.

I highly disagree. This is the exact reason southeast Raleigh is suffering now! Everyone in Raleigh enjoys the taxes and workforce that southeast Raleigh generates, but no one wants to actually see the area prosper by any means neccesary.

Just a couple of months ago, a developer proposed a ten story mixed use project for the area and everyone on here whom I assume lives in other parts of town, bashed the heck out of it. There have been many projects proposed for SE, but most of them get persuaded to look into other areas in Raleigh.

I'm sorry,but I think that people there would rather enjoy more convenient shopping, entertainment, and restaurants in the area, rather than run down housing, dog food factories, abandoned warehouses, and crumbling streets. There's only one bank in that part of town for christ sake!

It dissapoints me to see the same race/classism issues effecting southeast. It's so obvious! Look at the place it's 20 years behind! I also don't even want to hear the issue of crime, beacuse NE Raleigh is neck and neck with that problem, and that place is prospering a whole lot!

The only banks (not drive through ATM machines) in Southeast Raleigh are M&F near Rock Quarry and Crosslink, and a First Citizens on New Bern (if that even counts as southeast raleigh).

When they built the MLK Kroger, people thought a branch would open there, like just about every other kroger but nooo.... they "didn't have enough room". Whatever.

Watson Flea Market is *not* good enough "for those people over there".

Putting a park there does *nothing* to change the shopping options in the area. There are already several parks not providing any economic activity in the area. Walnut Creek Amplitheater and Softball Complex was supposed to be an economic stimuls for the area, but it is 10 years later, and nothing has happened.

If they wanted to put a walmart in the Atlantic/Capital/Raleigh Blvd. area inside the beltline, I'd fight that, since there are other shopping options a few miles away, and it's near the future TTA line. But in this area, there's a whloe lot of nothing.

The only banks (not drive through ATM machines) in Southeast Raleigh are M&F near Rock Quarry and Crosslink, and a First Citizens on New Bern (if that even counts as southeast raleigh).

When they built the MLK Kroger, people thought a branch would open there, like just about every other kroger but nooo.... they "didn't have enough room". Whatever.

Watson Flea Market is *not* good enough "for those people over there".

Putting a park there does *nothing* to change the shopping options in the area. There are already several parks not providing any economic activity in the area. Walnut Creek Amplitheater and Softball Complex was supposed to be an economic stimuls for the area, but it is 10 years later, and nothing has happened.

If they wanted to put a walmart in the Atlantic/Capital/Raleigh Blvd. area inside the beltline, I'd fight that, since there are other shopping options a few miles away, and it's near the future TTA line. But in this area, there's a whloe lot of nothing.

I whole heartedly agree. This area is about due for the same kind of prosperity other areas other the county have expierienced. Especially once tryon road gets finished with the upgrades on that end and Rock Quarry is widened. Also food lion is building a new store past the amphitheater so slowly but surely the scene of that side of town is changing.

• 6 months later...

The Triangle may get 3 new Walmart Supercenters of city leaders approve of the plans. So far, the retail giant has been greeted with resistance. People living near the proposed stores are often concerned about traffic problems the stores can generate. The latest new Walmart proposal is happening in Knightdale. Its surprising that this working class community known for its mobile home parks opposed the idea. There's also a new supercenter proposed to go at the Rock Quarry and Sunnybrook Rd intersection in SE Raleigh. Many neighbors who live adjacent to the site share similar concerns. Last, but not least, Walmart is eyeing Morrisville for a new store. Being the sprawling, cookie-cutter suburb Morrisville is, Walmart should have minimal difficulty building there. Walmart seems to be on the verge of an agressive expansion across the Triangle. Personally, I'd rather shop at Target. The prices are higher, but I like the luxury of shopping in peace. No yelling kids. No huge crowds or lines to weave through. No pallets or boxes of unshelved mechandise to navigate around. Target stores are much cleaner that Walmart. The merchandise is trendier also.

The articles can be read at the following links:

Knightdale Wal-Mart:

http://www.newsobserver.com/125/story/449744.html

SE Raleigh Wal-Mart:

http://www.newsobserver.com/928/story/420019.html

Morrisville Wal-Mart:

http://www.newsobserver.com/167/story/439812.html

Knightdales won't happen. Thank God. This part of knightdale is starting to look very hmm. North Raleigh or even Caryish. 540 is about to open near there and 64 is undergoing a resurfacing project. New Street lights and the huge Target/Home Depot/Michaels.....Is going in on the retail side of the street the other side is primarily New Homes and Nice Upscale Apartments. Knightdale is really trying hard to Reach a new level in suburbia and a Walmart would work against that and I agree.

Nah. Make that only 3 Walmarts in the area. Ugghh. That's enough.

Doesn't Knightdale already have a Wal-Mart anyway? I've never been to it but I've heard it's kinda old and not really all that great, even by Wal-Mart's standards. Wal-Mart probably wants to close that store and build a new one, if I'm even thinking of the same town...

Doesn't Knightdale already have a Wal-Mart anyway? I've never been to it but I've heard it's kinda old and not really all that great, even by Wal-Mart's standards. Wal-Mart probably wants to close that store and build a new one, if I'm even thinking of the same town...

Yeah, you have it right.

The current Knightdale Wal-Mart is one of the worst I've even seen. It should be very high on their list of locations to replace.

Okay that's one people's problems with Wal-Mart. I'm not anti-Walmart but they usually leave a trail of empty big boxes in search of the next new location. Why not invest the money in fixing up the current location?!!! You can go down some streets in Atlanta similar to US 1 or US 64 and see a trail of big box shopping centers with faded spots where the walmart signs used to be.

^They are key ingridients for low density commericial & residential sprawl that oftenly forever change the landscape of the area

Would anybody happen to know where the most Wal Marts are in the country per MSA? Seems like Raleigh would be at the top of the list, if not #1

Okay that's one people's problems with Wal-Mart. I'm not anti-Walmart but they usually leave a trail of empty big boxes in search of the next new location. Why not invest the money in fixing up the current location?!!! You can go down some streets in Atlanta similar to US 1 or US 64 and see a trail of big box shopping centers with faded spots where the walmart signs used to be.

This particular Wal-Mart sits next to an already vacant Winn Dixie. If they did close the WM, that entire strip might be better off razed and redeveloped.

I hate talking about Wal-Mart's, but here I go anyway. I do not shop at them. The last time I went to one was about 3 months ago because my mother-in-law had to stop in when she was out with us. The reason I dislike Wal-Mart is because of the shopping experience.

The fact of the matter is Wal-Mart is a huge economic engine for many smaller communities and that is why we see them popping up everywhere. There are debates to the actual economic benefits of these stores, but there is little reason for communities to put the veto on their development. As long as Wal-Mart adheres to the zoning of a particular plot of land, it will probably be built. It is hard for a council person to oppose Wal-Mart and not other big-box retailers like Target, Lowe's Home Improvement, Costco or Harris Teeter. Unfortunately, all they typically see are the $ signs in the tax revenues. If they don't build in Town A, they will go outside the corporate limits or move to Town B.

I don't shop at them either, avery.

I don't like bashing Wal-Mart too much because I do like Target at North Hills and go to Lowe's Home Improvement which are big-boxes. The whole Wal-Mart experience just isn't my cup of tea nor are the big warehouse clubs.

Archived